2019 Baja XL... who's in?

We are! Current plan is four of us in a 2004 Cayenne in the GPS Racing class, but there's a possibility that we may add a second vehicle and bring it down to three per. We bought the car a few weeks ago and this weekend it's getting some prep. Still a lot of decisions to make, but it's all fun.

Our primary goal is to learn enough about the event that we can run one or two motorcycles in 2021.

Last edited:

amcjen

We’re in too! LR3 running the touring/support class, and one team GPS class on our motorcycle (sharing riding duties).

I’m super excited for this—probably more than any other overlanding/rally we’ve done before.

Cayenne-958-TDI

Would love to if we could get ULSD fuel. For now ULSD is only available north of El Rosano.
This link says 15ppm after 31-December 2018. They have blown thru every date so far - want to wait until it is actually in place. https://www.dieselnet.com/standards/mx/fuel.php
Would like to see other Cayenne's join us for the winter 2020 ALCAN 5000. Ours is at the 4:09 point in this video of the 2016 ALCAN -

amcjen

Well, because we have a support vehicle, we’ll have plenty of tools/spares to carry with us. We’re doing a bit different setup on GPS than the standard Garmin, and are running really light, on a very small bike. The bike is not fast but it’s a mountain goat.

This strategy will either be brilliant or a total flop and we’ll end up dropping out and continue in the touring class only. Either way we’re pretty sure we’re going to have a blast.

You don't need a big bike... they run the Dakar on 450s now and that's at blazing speed. We'll probably be on an XR400 (or whatever bike like that is easy to support at the time) whenever we do it. What's your car?

amcjen

A 450 is still a big bike! We’ll likely be riding a 200, or even smaller perhaps. Counting heavily on the fact it’s not pitched as a speed race but more a navigation/GPS competition. If it turns out to be faster than we can hang, we’ll cruise and enjoy the ride down Baja regardless. You kinda can’t lose with a trip like this.

For the vehicle, we’re in a 2005 Land Rover LR3 HD, modified heavily for overlanding (frontrunner rack, custom drawer system, full undercarriage armor, BFGs, in-vehicle water tanks, in-vehicle sleeping area, 80L aux fuel, GMRS and satellite comms, etc) We have a hitch carrier for the bike in case of any catastrophic failure or simple exhaustion.

Looking forward to meeting up in LA! Look for the silver LR3 with the bike on the back. Can’t miss us.

monark192

Observer
We are in driving a Nissan Xterra in the GPS racing category. First time doing this. Team Monark Racing !

Attachments

• IMG_3693 (002).JPG
    IMG_3693 (002).JPG
    866.4 KB · Views: 19
  • monark racing logo black.jpg
    monark racing logo black.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 19
.. and are running really light, on a very small bike.
OK I just saw your Baja-eater on the FB group. You're going to put how many miles on that in ten days? :)

My first thought for a Spirit Class entry was a Haflinger painted like a Kamaz truck. But then I realized we need to do 3000 miles and only had ten days. I think the Haflinger would need 20.

amcjen

OK I just saw your Baja-eater on the FB group. You're going to put how many miles on that in ten days? :)

No joke, it’s definitely going to be a stretch. We signed up in June before the detailed stages map came out. When I first saw the map I was like... fuuuuu, what did we get ourselves into.

Won’t lie, our team is having serious second thoughts on using this bike in the team race category. We may switch to a larger bike and stay in the race category (though I’m still uncertain top speed is the issue vs hardcore riding endurance, which this bike could handle with its upgraded suspension), or may switch to touring category with the same bike and just have fun, or see about switching the support vehicle to the race vehicle (assuming they’re cool with a change this late, and squaring up on the fee difference).

My first thought for a Spirit Class entry was a Haflinger painted like a Kamaz truck. But then I realized we need to do 3000 miles and only had ten days. I think the Haflinger would need 20.

That would be pretty epic!

Are you participating in the rally?

Post 1.. we are prepping a 2004 Cayenne S. We have lots of stuff to still decide on, but the car seems pretty solid. In a week or two we will get the race tires and roof basket mounted. Haven't finalized nav stuff yet.

The Cayenne's strong points are the air suspension, competent AWD/4WD, fuel capacity and and overall strength. And POWER! Weaknesses are the air suspension (this depends who you believe), complexity, and sparsity of aftermarket upgrades. Fuel economy isn't fantastic but compared to other overlanding vehicles I think it's probably pretty good. We has also seriously considered two larger (3-row, 7-seat) vehicles:

- Jeep Commander, for the fantastic 4WD. Not great on fuel, and the second row was pretty cramped to make room for the 3rd row. The windshield is very vertical and far away, which is good for keeping the sun out of your eyes but probably not so good for outward visibility. Reliable as far as we could tell. Small gas tank.

- Toyota Sequoia, for the legendary Toyota reliability. Better 2nd row seats (captain's chairs on some) and of course lots of space. Decent AWD but I think not as serious as the others. Fuel economy no better than the others.

All were 200x models for a blend of newness and affordability. The Cayenne won due to our experience with Touaregs and also on an emotional level. It has so far impressed us (although I'm on the east coast and the car is in CA).

Last edited:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I have been really tempted to join this rally!! Unfortunately (or fortunately) I will be "rallying" through Uruguay and Argentina at that time.

Please keep us posted

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles