Clutch’s deep thoughts thread...

phsycle

Adventurer
This was an older one... 2005-ish... wish I had grabbed a pic.

I see. I’ve randomly been looking at Rangers of that vintage as well. Maybe 2010 or so. I like how they looked.

@Clutch - I think the Rangers until they were discontinued, we’re about the size of the 1st gen? I think 2012 was the last year, which isn’t that old. Just another option to pile onto the list. :D

Clutch

<---Pass
I see. I’ve randomly been looking at Rangers of that vintage as well. Maybe 2010 or so. I like how they looked.

@Clutch - I think the Rangers until they were discontinued, we’re about the size of the 1st gen? I think 2012 was the last year, which isn’t that old. Just another option to pile onto the list. :D

Ex-girlfriend had a Ranger, didn't feel it was built as well as a Toyota.

Mine is running and driving really well. Tack welding the steering shaft has made a huge difference...no longer having to make minor corrections constantly while driving down the interstate. Goes in tomorrow morning for alignment, was waiting to see if the 881 springs were going to work before I did that.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
This was an older one... 2005-ish... wish I had grabbed a pic.

Those are good looking trucks.

I saw a ZR2 yesterday at Home Depot. Good looking truck. But the side profile looked off. That front end just seemed weird with that bumper. Regular Colorado, I’m good with. I could do without that dumb bed bar as well.

The Chevy's are right up my alley for low key looks.

2015-up-gm-colorado-canyon-175-3-suspension-system-stage5.jpg

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
My first car was a 95 zr2 reg cab. I liked it but with it's 31*10.5 bfg at's it was worthless on anything more slippery than a paved road with morning dew on it. It's winter performance was embarrassing. It also got 14mpg, the same as my current truck.

tacollie

Glamper
Diesel Colorado could pull 3k comfortably. I have a buddy who pulls a 19ft ultra lite with his. He gets 19-20mpg pulling. My 2nd gen can pull 3k fine but the milage is 10-12. Glad I don't tow often!

I look at the poor milage as the cost of reliability. My buddies Ecodiesel gets double the milage of truck but it also spends more time in the shop though it does get there under it's own power.

The in-laws had a Colorado of the era. They takes really good care of everything. That truck was crap. The V8 was probably better but his i5 sucked. About every 80k miles it would start missfiring on cylinder 5. The interior was crappy. All the knobs had play.

Clutch

<---Pass
Diesel Colorado could pull 3k comfortably. I have a buddy who pulls a 19ft ultra lite with his. He gets 19-20mpg pulling. My 2nd gen can pull 3k fine but the milage is 10-12. Glad I don't tow often!

I look at the poor milage as the cost of reliability. My buddies Ecodiesel gets double the milage of truck but it also spends more time in the shop though it does get there under it's own power.

The in-laws had a Colorado of the era. They takes really good care of everything. That truck was crap. The V8 was probably better but his i5 sucked. About every 80k miles it would start missfiring on cylinder 5. The interior was crappy. All the knobs had play.

The allure of better gas milage is appealing, but when it comes down to opening up the purse strings rather deal with poor fuel economy of the Toyotas. Pretty sure a 3rd Gen Tacoma should be able to pull a 6X12 V-Nose. Has a dry weight of 980 lbs. I would be hard pressed to be at 2000 lbs max. with a bike & gear. Get to keep a manual trans too @phsycle.

https://www.trailersplus.com/Idaho/Nampa/6-Wide-Cargo-Trailers/trailer/4YMBC1214KR000879/

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
If I could get that with 4*4 and electric windows for less than 30k...

I priced out an extra cab 4X4 on their website. Under $30K with rear seat delete and no locker. Ford does incentives where Toyota does not, so might be able to get it even cheaper. certainly peaks my interest. Reliability is a wildcard at this point. I would be out of warranty in 2-3 years for how much I drive.

bkg

Explorer
You are correct, I have never owned a Tacoma or towed with one. Just looking at the tow ratings I thought 3,000 would be okay. I guess not....

I've towed an 85 4runner with a 94 4runner from CO to MN. A 3k# enclosed trailer with a Gen2 Tacoma... a 5k trailer with a gen1 Tacoma (ok... supercharged).

I've done a LOT of stupid stuff. I really, really struggle when people post pictures of towing heavy loads with a Tacoma and say it tows great...

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Always good to hear real world experience. I would have thought based on the ratings that you'd be able to tow a small travel trailer with one. (like an Rpod) I'll be curious to see how the new Ranger tows. They are saying it's rated for 7,500lbs ( in a certain configuration I'm sure)

My truck is rated for 10,300 but I know I would never hook up more than 7,500 lbs to it.

bkg

Explorer
Always good to hear real world experience. I would have thought based on the ratings that you'd be able to tow a small travel trailer with one. (like an Rpod) I'll be curious to see how the new Ranger tows. They are saying it's rated for 7,500lbs ( in a certain configuration I'm sure)

My truck is rated for 10,300 but I know I would never hook up more than 7,500 lbs to it.

funny story...

wife pulled that same enclosed trailer filled to the brim - had to have been pushing well over 5k - when we moved with her 5th gen 4runner. I was admittedly impressed and surprised at how well it towed...

Would I do it again? No. Would I let her do it again? Hell no. Did it do okay? Definitely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles