Next generation snatch block

MOguy

Explorer
I remember when I first heard about synthetic rope and told others in our local Jeep club about it and it was unbelievable how many people said it would never work in our enviroment, caked with mud, dragging through water then freezing etc.
I was the first guy in our club to try it and shortly after the others saw me unspooling a bunch of rope and tossing it up a hill instead of dragging steel cable, using it repeatedly with no failures etc. they accepted it to the point at I bought 1000’ bulk to make ropes and it was gone within a week.
There are lots of things that shouldn’t work but flat out do.

My point is don’t discredit a new product on the premise that it’ll never work. If everybody did that e sport would never make any progress.

I don't have an issue with soft shakle or synthetic rope, just it configured with the aluminum ring to make snatchblock. I would have the same issue if it was configured with a cable or somehow with a traditional shakle. I just don't see it working as a pulley or snatch block in an off road situation.

Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
If you have to use other items to fix it then what good is it? So to use this you need some Velcro and a small piece of wood or plastic?

I really hope nobody would ever use a small piece of Velcro and wood block for recovery of something as heavy as a vehicle.

I am really trying to be open minded but I think this is one of the dumbest things I have ever seen suggested to use for recovery.

I would suggest this as a better option.

You know there are clear and obvious issues with most current snatch blocks and synthetic line right? In the same situation, the synthetic line can jump into the space between the pulley and side plate when being up tension and/or with tension isn't consistent. This can be very hard on the line.

So....if you don't understand my idea for the block/strap I don't blame you for being obtuse about it. I'm guessing you need a little clarity to think outside the box a bit more. The small spacer/block doesn't see any load, it only 'traps' the line to the back of the ring. The velcro strap just holds the block in place and keeps the soft shackle in one position. This technique is actually already used in the marine industry for the last decade or so with these rings. It is usually whipped into place in the rigging.

The other BONUS to the ring is that the line is actually TRAPPED in the system if the ring where to fail structurally. With normal snatch blocks, if the unit fails the pulley is outside the anchor system, the plates separate, things go flying....

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I just don't get why you would even want to go down this path. I'd love to see that caked with abrasive muck and see how 'unharmed' the soft shackle would be after.

It also seems like debris could score the inside of something as soft as aluminum and very quickly damage the soft shackle.

Also trying to remain open minded but everything in my head is screaming this is stupid.

This sounds like the same argument I heard about synthetic winch line back in the day......it will never work....mud abrasion, etc.

How long is a snatch block bearing/bushing going to last when it is in the same gritty environment?

The aluminum doesn't have to be 'soft'. These rings are made of high strength 6000 or 7000 series heat treated aluminum with some good hard coat finishes. The UHMWPE used in most synthetic winch lines and soft shackles is basically a modern miracle as far as the friction coefficient.

I'll go one further. How many people would actually wear out one of these units even with all the issues mentioned? How many times in the past 10 years have you actually had to double line a winch for a full pull? I know we all think we are rain forest challenge competitors and all.

Even if the idea isn't perfect, I very much appreciate that people are TRYING to innovate in the sport.

rayra

Expedition Leader
"sport"? If you can GAIN weight while doing it, it isn't a sport.

/'here, hold my beer and hand me the winch remote'

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
"Professional duty" maybe not the best word for it. But definitely silly in their price. Any block what can run at load, high speed and all day long qualifies. Such block for 8-12mm ropes cost anywhere $500-900 !
Yes, ARB block is nice. Slow recreational good times...

How fast do you need to winch?

MOguy

Explorer
You know there are clear and obvious issues with most current snatch blocks and synthetic line right? In the same situation, the synthetic line can jump into the space between the pulley and side plate when being up tension and/or with tension isn't consistent. This can be very hard on the line.

So....if you don't understand my idea for the block/strap I don't blame you for being obtuse about it. I'm guessing you need a little clarity to think outside the box a bit more. The small spacer/block doesn't see any load, it only 'traps' the line to the back of the ring. The velcro strap just holds the block in place and keeps the soft shackle in one position. This technique is actually already used in the marine industry for the last decade or so with these rings. It is usually whipped into place in the rigging.

The other BONUS to the ring is that the line is actually TRAPPED in the system if the ring where to fail structurally. With normal snatch blocks, if the unit fails the pulley is outside the anchor system, the plates separate, things go flying....
Make me a believer. Show me a recovery over uneven ground where there's tension on and off that ring. Make it about a 75 foot pull over very uneven Terrain.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Make me a believer. Show me a recovery over uneven ground where there's tension on and off that ring. Make it about a 75 foot pull over very uneven Terrain.

So basically you want a test if I can make the ring concept work for tension changes.....
Basically all we really need is to run the winch in while allowing the vehicle to overspeed the winch. That will let the lines drop.
I can get close to that, but it won't be a 75' total. Maybe 50-60' max with the line I have on the winch. Stay tuned.

Here is what I will be using for the testing...

at least I have something do to this weekend now.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
"sport"? If you can GAIN weight while doing it, it isn't a sport.

/'here, hold my beer and hand me the winch remote'

Oh I have lost weight while getting a winch workout for SURE during an extended recovery.
Anything that can be done to eliminate weight in the vehicle and on the person doing the rigging is a good thing.

MOguy

Explorer
Metcalf, I am looking forward to your video. My issue is not with synthetic rope. I have been using synthetic rope to rig things since the 90's. I have no issue with soft shackles, I have none but if/when the need comes for new shackles I will probably go that direction. My issue is using the ring as a pulley.

I have been off-roading since the 90s and Warn has always been who I looked to as far as what is expectable, there are other sources also but Warn is the leader (for me anyway). Professionally I work with a SAR organization and deal with purchasing and requirements. I look at a few sources for items dealing with various disciplines of SAR course the NFPA stamp of approval. I don't see these rings available at any of my trusted sources and these ring don't have the stamp of approval I look for. The only pulleys I see are preassembled as a specific piece of equipment. Therefore I am very skeptical.

Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
It is new technology in the off road sport. It started with one or two companies giving it a try....now I notice 3 or 4. Give it a little time....

MOguy

Explorer
It is new technology in the off road sport. It started with one or two companies giving it a try....now I notice 3 or 4. Give it a little time....

It is piece of aluminum, it isn't new technology. If it works it is a "better mouse trap".

I can't visualize this working in the situation I have been in where I would need it to work. I am hoping your video can help me actually see it work.

MOguy

Explorer

That was an easy pull up a slight incline, not a recovery. No variation in terrain and constant tension on the load. I am liking the soft shackles though. The guy rigged the load up with enough tension to keep it tight at one point he even had to support the ring with his hand. The more and more I see these bull ******** "recoveries" with this ring the more and more I am convinced that this ring is not a good idea. I have searched the web for any legitimate recovery performed with this ring and found nothing.

Metcalf, do your video and prove me wrong. Trust me, I have no issue being wrong if in the process I learn something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne