RamHeavyHalf06 Ram MegaCab Build and Adventures

RedRunner87

Some of you may or may not know but during the 3rd Gen Ram cycle they introduced the Ram MegaCab. For some reason they sold it in a "1500" marking, even though it is running on 2500 running gear. So I have a 2006 Dodge Ram MegaCab 4WD 5.7L Hemi, that is basically stock at the moment. I will be documenting trails and mods as I do them.

Current Set Up:
Bilstein 5160's
17" Method NV's
315/70R17 Cooper Discoverer STT Pro's
Full LED's minus Headlights
Tyger Fender Flares
Front Tow Hooks
Patton Fab Light Mount
22" Extreme LED X6
Aux Fuse Set Up

Goal List for Summer of 19:
22" Extreme LED X6
OTRATTW 6 Panel Switch Holder
OTRATTW V Series Switches
Softtopper w/ Tent attachment
Bed LED Lights
Bilstein 5160's
Detours of Maine RidgeRunner Swing-Away Spare Tire Mount
Spare 17" Rim
Used Full Size Spare
Front Tow Hooks
Aux Fuse Set Up

Current Picture:
Untitled by redrunner87, on Flickr

How it all started:

Last edited:

RedRunner87

Here is pictures from my trip to Mt. Princeton in Buena Vista, CO. The trail ends at just over 12k feet, at that point you can hike the other 2k feet to summit the 14'er. Most of the trail is pretty easy, only the last mile or so it tuff. The trail turns into switchbacks and narrow shelfs road.

Looking down on the Valley

A little further up

...and the narrow shelf road heading up to the summit

At the summit

Heading back down

RedRunner87

Now to figure out what light bar I can get on there.

Front Tow Hooks and Patton Fab light mount has been installed. When we first got the truck my wife spun the truck out and hit a mountain. She ended up bending part of the front bumper in. So I will have to tweak it to get the last bolt in. I also used Rustoleum Self-Etching primer and bedliner on light mount.

The finished product.

Primer

Bedliner

I had to trim the plastic filler piece

There is always ONE BOLT!!!

RedRunner87

In preparation for the Extreme LED Light Bar, I got the AUX Fuse Book and the Relays wired up. All I need to do now is wire the switches and light bar when I get them.

Circuit Breaker, AUX Fuse Book and the Negatives hooked up

Positives Hooked up

Everything hooked up

We have POWER!!!

Circuit Breaker tripped=no power=good for if you aren't going to drive it for awhile

RedRunner87

I wired up some amber grill lights. These will act as DRL's and as strobes(for night snow rescues)

by redrunner87, on Flickr
by redrunner87, on Flickr

Got the Extreme LED 22" X6 in today. Test fitted it and it looks like I will have to enlarge a couple holes on the bumper bracket. Waiting on my buddy to finish up the 3D Printed switch panel as well.

TNSG

Nice ride! I miss my MegaCab Hemi! The kids called it the Gray Ghost!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Marine

Adventurer
Wow love that mega cab. If you don't mind me asking what's the mpg? I'm currently in a diesel that's getting long in the tooth and love the mega cab

Explorerinil

Observer
Wow love that mega cab. If you don't mind me asking what's the mpg? I'm currently in a diesel that's getting long in the tooth and love the mega cab
My friend has that exact same truck, 06 mega cab 1500 with the 5.7... he gets terrible mpg, maby 10 ish. We went on a trip awhile back, both pulling ruffle the same load, flat trailer with a couple atv’s. He stopped for gas twice for my one tank.

RedRunner87

Very nice! Looks like some nice improvements. How does it ride now on the Bilsteins?

The Bilsteins are a huge improvement, but I did have blown shocks on it before. It is much more stable on rough roads. Before the back end would always want to "walk out"

My friend has that exact same truck, 06 mega cab 1500 with the 5.7... he gets terrible mpg, maby 10 ish. We went on a trip awhile back, both pulling ruffle the same load, flat trailer with a couple atv’s. He stopped for gas twice for my one tank.

My last 10 fill ups I have been averaging 12.5 The best I've gotten on the new tires is 13.9 highway. I am running stock 3.73 gears right now. I am hoping to upgrade to 4.56's in the next year or so. Also hoping to add a Power Wagon rear locker, no one makes a locker for the AAM 10.5".

Marine

Adventurer
My friend has that exact same truck, 06 mega cab 1500 with the 5.7... he gets terrible mpg, maby 10 ish. We went on a trip awhile back, both pulling ruffle the same load, flat trailer with a couple atv’s. He stopped for gas twice

Guess another cummins is in my future. Thanks exploreinil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles