Diagram of what springs in valve body (trans)

bikerjosh

Explorer
1998 Montero 3.5 with AT. Anyone have a valve body diagram or list of the OEM spring colors that go in the accumulators above the valve body? When I was under the car removing the valve body, three accumulators (#2,3,4) fell out on to the ground scattering the springs. Waiting for the two gaskets to arrive I can split the valve body. These are the 'type B' accumulators with short springs fixed on the wider end and usually two springs in the long cavity. The picture shows spacers inside the outer springs on two bottom accum, part of a shift kit.
Briefly looked through the FSM but didn't see a chart of what spring went where. Thanks

Attachments

• a340typeBaccumulators.JPG
    a340typeBaccumulators.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 11

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I'll ask Ernest tomorrow for you, he's done the shift kit before.

bikerjosh

Explorer
I'll ask Ernest tomorrow for you, he's done the shift kit before.
Howdy Toasty, did you get a chance to ask Ernest? Also curious if he uses trans assembly grease to hold the accumulators up in the trans as you re-install the accumulators?

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
So it shifts firmer and downshifts better, the later the Monteros seem to have much lazier valve bodies (more comfort less sporty).

bikerjosh

Explorer
Thanks Toasty, yep have VB #1, think I figured out the spring order using calipers and some data online. Cracking the VB tomorrow morning once I get a strong cup of coffee in me. Pictures to follow. Thanks again

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke