Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

ebrabaek

Adventurer
How much weight do you think that would save? It would look super cool though!

I am considering it for two reasons.
Weight reduction..... but mostly for a better layout.
I would remove the tongue plate and box.
I suspect they are 70 pounds, give and take a few.
I suspect I can build a full size box from the parking brake to the main box at about 15-20 pounds.
This is including access doors on the side.... but then when adding drawers and slides that number would go up.
It have always been a love/hate relationship of the box and empty space behind it.
Very narrow slip to fill and utilize, and not having the items covered. Dusty.... and unsecure.
Yet it is so easy to just fling stuff in there and go.
If I could build a box with access doors on the side with drawers to match the stock doors..... it would be epic.
Still contemplating....

Kraxler

I am considering it for two reasons.
Weight reduction..... but mostly for a better layout.
I would remove the tongue plate and box.
I suspect they are 70 pounds, give and take a few.
I suspect I can build a full size box from the parking brake to the main box at about 15-20 pounds.
This is including access doors on the side.... but then when adding drawers and slides that number would go up.
It have always been a love/hate relationship of the box and empty space behind it.
Very narrow slip to fill and utilize, and not having the items covered. Dusty.... and unsecure.
Yet it is so easy to just fling stuff in there and go.
If I could build a box with access doors on the side with drawers to match the stock doors..... it would be epic.
Still contemplating....
So you want to go into a small production run? Sounds very interesting.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Agree... I hate the empty space behind it. A full CF box with a drawer system in that area would be fantastic. I say "Do it".

It would also give me a planform to mount a solar panel on. Removable off course.
If I do this, I would off course be happy to share all the plans and such. It would be a modular build beginning with plate builds, then bonding plates together to form a box. Easy as playing with Lego. ……… Big ones... :) :)

Kraxler

Yesterday evening got my Smittybuilt Overland XL RTT. Well, at least the first part. Got the tent. Box was pretty beat up. Took the top of the box off and check it out. No damage so signed the shipping bill. Later taking the tent all the way out, found a hole in the bottom of the box into the bottom of the RTT. About 3 in long. Bummer. Going to give Smittybilt a call this morning.

Kraxler

Here's a photo of the hole. The hole does not go through to the inside although there is a slight bump on the inside.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 60

Ysk

I also disliked the steel box upfront, went with some stackable plastic boxes - less weight, more flexible and increased storage capacity

IMG_9002.JPG

McDowra

Observer
Getting ready to hit the road for Arkansas for the Rendevous in the Ozarks in less than 2 weeks. Put the jacks up and get it packed we should be ready to go. We built an articulating hitch at work and it works great but for long interstate drives, I prefer the regular style hitch. IMG_0625.jpg

RichardPT

Richard
I like it!
Do you have a source for that box AND the propane tank/mount?

TIA.
The box is from frontierplay.com, I think 42 inch ( their biggest size). Propane tank is 10 lbs size, have to be careful getting a matching mount for it as they come in different shapes. I can look up the exact model # if anyone is interested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles