Ranger Raptor testing in Flagstaff

ejwebb

I was working in Sadona when this right hand drive diesel drove by with Michigan plates on it.

GB_Willys_2014

I was working in Sadona when this right hand drive diesel drove by with Michigan plates on it.
Sadona??

:)

Rhetorical question: why do Europeans and Australians get these diesel options, and we don't ... I wonder if they lust for our pickups?

Dalko43

Explorer
Sadona??

:)

Rhetorical question: why do Europeans and Australians get these diesel options, and we don't ... I wonder if they lust for our pickups?

It used to be because of more stringent EPA regulations for diesels in North America. But the truth of the matter is that Europe's diesel emissions reg's are now nearly as strict as those found in North America. Europe is using pretty much all the emissions tech that has been so common in North America (DEF/SCR, EGR, DPF).

Also, we are in fact getting more diesels in North America nowadays. It's very likely the Ranger will have a diesel option. It would make no sense for Ford to offer diesel engines for the F-150 and Super Duty, but exclude the Ranger from that plan.

Like forced and without choice?
Yes and No

European's as mentioned above are moving away from diesels due to stricter emissions regs. The U.S. manufacturers are dropping the manual transmission option for two reasons, fuel economy requirements and lack of consumer demand. Even some performance models are dropping the manual option although they do have the option of manually shifting the automatic in sport mode.

I haven't seen the controls yet for the 10 speed automatic like is going in the Ranger Raptor but I do believe if it is like other Ford models will offer a sport mode for manual bump shifting via electric switch.

Jc1986.carter

Lack of consumer demand was a big part of not putting manual transmissions in vehicles. My wife and I recently purchased new vehicles, both with manuals and the looks we got from the dealers was a combination of shock and dismay. My wife’s Subaru crosstrek had to be ordered and my Nissan Frontier was just sitting on a dealer lot because no one wanted a manual pro4x.

It’s also a great theft deterrent, people don’t know how to drive them any more.

The new ranger should be interesting. Did you get a chance to ask what motor it had in it by any chance? I wonder if it’s the same one that’s in the mustangs and focuses?

Last edited:

GB_Willys_2014

Lack of consumer demand was a big part of not putting manual transmissions in vehicles. My wife and I recently purchased new vehicles, both with manuals and the looks we got from the dealers was a combination of shock and dismay. My wife’s Subaru crosstrek has to be ordered and my Nissan Frontier was just sitting on a dealer lot because no one wanted a manual pro4x.

It’s also a great theft deterrent, people don’t know how to drive them any more.

The new ranger should be interesting. Did you get a chance to ask what motor it had in it by any chance? I wonder if it’s the same one that’s in the mustangs and focuses?

Sorry, but no. Didn't even think to ask. Doh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles