Real MPGs for your rig?

luthj

Engineer In Residence
04 Sprinter, lifted, wider tires, 8,500lbs, crap on roof, steel tube bumper, skid plates, stock engine, 3.73 gears. Over 8 ft tall.

70k miles, GPS verified. 190 fill ups, 18.9mpg, average speed 42mph.

14.65 MPG average over 300 miles of highway driving in the mountains - 2005 Chevy Express AWD, 5.3L V8, stock mechanically, weighing in at 7,200 lbs with camper build out, two ppl and supplies. Also has a high top fiberglass roof, large roof rack + thule box.

cjken

Explorer
Just calculated 9.5 towing a boat
Lots of hills and stopping.
8c483f7ab8d327b80599b7eef597cfc4.jpg

12ish not towing (estimate)

Will calculate on today’s trip not towing.

Binky

Great A'Tuin, our 2000 AWD Astro has a 3.73 w/ locker diff, 3" lift and 235/75-15 tires. Pretty stock otherwise.
It gets 20-21 if it's on the flats and I keep it under 60.
At 80 mph on the interstate, it's a solid 17.
If I'm towing my 2200 lb race car (mountains are generally involved here), I get 14-15.
Around town 16. Unless my wife is driving, then it drops to 15...

I don't have a good number for Binky and the 7.3 IDI yet.

John

5spd97

We just got back from a 1200 mile, week long trip; this time flat towing a 2200 lb. Chevy Spark and with a gcvw approachng 15,000 lbs. My rig is a 2003 E350 box truck with a 7.3 PS diesel. I've had this truck for about 14 months and we've put about 5,200 miles during that time using it exclusively for hauling our motorcycles on camping trips. I'm finally getting it through my thick skull that speed is the great enemy of fuel mileage when you are driving a brick. This trip I reduced my highway speed another 5 - 10 mph down to between 60 - 65 mph. The reward is a much less stressful drive and fuel mileage (12 mpg) that matches the best that I have experienced despite adding the toad. This trip included lots of mountain two lane, and stop and go interstate (Atlanta at rush hour and hurricane related) crazy traffic.

5spd97

I just filled up from the last 480 miles of the trip and that tank averaged 13 so I'm definitely benefiting from the lower speeds. I'm running stock tires and a 4.10 and my speedometer is accurate within a mile per hour at 60 according to the gps so I feel pretty comfortable with the calculations. I dont have a tach so I'm not sure where I am in the torque curve but it feels pretty happy at 60 - 65. Like others have said, fuel mileage isn't a huge concern for me but if I can establish a baseline it provides another metric to track the health of my vehicle. I am pretty happy knowing that despite adding a tow vehicle and a bunch of gross weight, I've managed to increase fuel mileage 30% over the course of a year.

brushogger

Explorer
Finally got to do a road trip in our van after the mods. I was quite pleased. It’s a 2004 SMB Quigley 4wd V10 with a fixed high roof. The trip was 220mi each way. I corrected for the larger tires. At 65 mph I’m actually doing 70. Running 70 , I got 11.8 on the trip down, and 12.3 returning.
5d7d768e861472f77e3f1ae0220bcae6.jpg

Raul

Adventurer
not exactly a thorough test, but got 31.9MPG on the 19 mile drive home in my new vehicle :)

I am going to let two of my multiple personalities reply:
Mr. Nice Guy: Ok, I'll bite. Please tell us what you got.
Mr. Cynical (usually gets most of the air time): If it can not crawl at least a forest road, sleep two and walk from the driver seat to the bed, I am not interested.

mnewxcv

Observer
I am going to let two of my multiple personalities reply:
Mr. Nice Guy: Ok, I'll bite. Please tell us what you got.
Mr. Cynical (usually gets most of the air time): If it can not crawl at least a forest road, sleep two and walk from the driver seat to the bed, I am not interested.
LOL, I appreciate both responses. I didn't realize this was a camper thread only (though I probably should have after reading more than a few pages). I picked up a Lexus rx400h. Planning to throw some all terrains on it at least an inch bigger than stock to get some traction, and a twin mattress fits on the back with the seats down. Hope I'll be happy with it, coming from a Cherokee xj. But don't mind me, go about talking about campers :)

Raul

Adventurer
LOL, I appreciate both responses. I didn't realize this was a camper thread only (though I probably should have after reading more than a few pages). I picked up a Lexus rx400h. Planning to throw some all terrains on it at least an inch bigger than stock to get some traction, and a twin mattress fits on the back with the seats down. Hope I'll be happy with it, coming from a Cherokee xj. But don't mind me, go about talking about campers :)

I am sorry, I am a jerk. I was not considering that you were replaying from a "general" view of new posts. I thought you were coming to the van sub-forum just to rub your mileage. Please understand that when I am making 11.6 mpg, your 31.9 mpg make me :cry:

mnewxcv

Observer
I am sorry, I am a jerk. I was not considering that you were replaying from a "general" view of new posts. I thought you were coming to the van sub-forum just to rub your mileage. Please understand that when I am making 11.6 mpg, your 31.9 mpg make me :cry:
Not a problem! I haven't been on here in a long time and like you said, I was browsing with the new posts feature, and missed that we were in the van/camper forum. Have a good one :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles