My Mid-life Crisis "build."

s.e.charles

Those are Toyota spare tire rims. Usually you can find them on craigslist, salvage yards,....you can buy them online as well. But by the time you pay for shipping you paid too much for some cheap steel rims. Best to source them local. I generally see them anywhere from $25-50 a piece.

omg; look like wheels costing hundreds more. when I wanted something similar for my Tacoma (years ago) I was directed to Chevrolet (for bolt pattern? - can't remember/ never checked).

thanks

Clutch

<---Pass
omg; look like wheels costing hundreds more. when I wanted something similar for my Tacoma (years ago) I was directed to Chevrolet (for bolt pattern? - can't remember/ never checked).

thanks

You're welcome. They are pretty cheap. Chevy bolt pattern will work. I almost bought a set for $50 each a couple months ago, but went with the 5 Spoke 4Runner/T100 wheels like bkg is looking for. That and I already have 2 other sets of wheels. Having a total of 4 wheel sets for my truck might be considered a little excessive... :D

bkg

Explorer
Bit the bullet and ordered wheels... I need to find a few more things to sell on CL now. Anyone need a Bobcat 709 bakhoe skidsteer attachment? :)

Clean build so far. If you don’t mind me asking, how much did you end up getting it off the PO for? Have a buddy that I helped build his ranger, and he’s been looking into the same gen 4Runner now...

bkg

Explorer
Clean build so far. If you don’t mind me asking, how much did you end up getting it off the PO for? Have a buddy that I helped build his ranger, and he’s been looking into the same gen 4Runner now...

Way too much. I had a budget of $7500. Everything w/in 200 miles at that price had 225k miles plus and was of unknown quality. After doing the math on what I wanted to do to the 4Runner, I knew I’d be throwing another $2500 at it easily.

So with the ARB, 488’s, toytec, new BFGS, stereo, fully sound-deadened cab, fully LED swapped, etc, etc... and a complete flat-tow kit including Uber-expensive disconnecting rear derive shaft (which is for sale)... I calculated about $4-6k in replacement cost for the extras. And to that how damned clean this thing is and that the PO is an enthusiast (it’s very well take. Care of), I winced and paid $9500. He was asking $11,500 and there were people lined up behind me shaking money to buy it, so I was okay with spending the $.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Bit the bullet and ordered wheels... I need to find a few more things to sell on CL now. Anyone need a Bobcat 709 bakhoe skidsteer attachment? :)

What wheels did you get?

Skidsteer backhoe attachment?

hmmmm....lemme see...*looking through the back lot*

Nope already have one of those, it was buried behind the old milk truck Ford C600 beside the Case 580. :D

are they hub centric?

Prolly not. Bolt pattern is the same is what I was meaning.

Reactions: bkg

bkg

Explorer
What wheels did you get?

Skidsteer backhoe attachment?

hmmmm....lemme see...*looking through the back lot*

Nope already have one of those, it was buried behind the old milk truck Ford C600 beside the Case 580. :D

Now I wanna hang out with you... I have a mid-90’s 773. Came with a 709 skid steer attachment that I’ve never used. It works, but it’s a bit rough. I rent backhoes when I need them (like today) because it’s sketchy and my property is all hills.

Send me a 1’ bucket for that backhoe. ?

Wheel detail will wait until they are on the truck. ?

Clutch

<---Pass
Now I wanna hang out with you... I have a mid-90’s 773. Came with a 709 skid steer attachment that I’ve never used. It works, but it’s a bit rough. I rent backhoes when I need them (like today) because it’s sketchy and my property is all hills.

Send me a 1’ bucket for that backhoe. ?

Wheel detail will wait until they are on the truck. ?

:)

Oh wait, went through a negative reality inversion time warp...that was 25 years ago...

We did have a few Bobcats back then two 743's and a 943, one with the backhoe attachment...never did use it much. The 580 would do most of the trench work.

The C600 milk truck was 2500 gallons that we used haul water in to "set" the liners on the swimming pools. Hated that truck, would try to kill you every time you drove it.

Just rent stuff now when we need it...last time was mini-ex. Tell ya the electric joystick on the modern stuff, blows the old hydro valve machines away. Pleasure to operate.

bkg

Explorer
Back from Discount Tire... wheels are on.

Still have bit of a vibration - going to have to have the driveshaft checked.

Edit: if anyone is interested in a set of 5 FJ Trail Team Wheels... I have some...

Attachments

• 20181016_144407738_iOS.jpg
    20181016_144407738_iOS.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 103

thezentree

pretend redneck
Back from Discount Tire... wheels are on.

Still have bit of a vibration - going to have to have the driveshaft checked.

Edit: if anyone is interested in a set of 5 FJ Trail Team Wheels... I have some...

Kind of a high frequency vibration at highway speeds, resonates, sounds kinda driving over rumble strips?

bkg

Explorer
Kind of a high frequency vibration at highway speeds, resonates, sounds kinda driving over rumble strips?

No... it’s harsher than that. Only present at 60mph +. Comes up through floorboards and feels like it’s source is in the back of the vehicle.

Smileyshaun

Observer
u joint , wheel bearing , trans mount , make sure your driveline angles are all good ( couple degrees off could cause a vibration) check your rear control arms to make sure none of the bushings are worn out if one's worn-out it could cause it to knock the Driveline out of wack
Also make sure that you don't have a tire that is slightly out of round I tracked down a vibration in a vehicle for quite a while before realizing the tire itself was slightly molded out of round only happened between 62 and 68 miles an hour but not all the time, super annoying because it would balance out perfect .

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles