Next Question: Diesel vs. Gas F350

twodollars

Our fleet of GM diesels have had a 20 percent fail rate on high pressure pumps. Pull body or pull the engine to replace. Very costly, and never happened close to home. The fords share the same basic pump. I think Cummins is using a different version.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Sounds about right for here as well. Our Fords aren't quite at 20% unless you count turbos and reflashes.

Half of the dodge fails are #6 nuking. Good luck fixing that with the engine in, cab on.

Last edited:

Chorky

Observer
It sure is great seeing all the different opinions and experiences! :)

I will say this, as a Ford guy, I will (likely) never own anything newer than a 7.3 Ford, or 24v Dodge. 1) it is way more $ than I could ever afford, or want to afford. 70K are you serious!? 2) though Ford is increasing their advancements technology wise, it truly is a gamble. They come out with new engines so darn fast the previous ones cannot even build a reliable track record. Meanwhile the good old 7.3's and even 7.3 IDI's have been out for over 20 years and are running strong. Sure, power is nice...but what's even nicer is lower cost, a well known engine, and reliability when your miles upon miles, or even days of walks away from anywhere.

That being said, I 'MIGHT' consider (if I was rich) to purchase a newer Dodge as their engines have not changed nearly as much as Ford, and continue to be 'relatively' simple for a highly complex computer controlled engine. Sure, my dad's new 3500 is quiet, powerful, comfortable, has tons of pretty cool features, can tow heavy loads, etc... But at what cost? I suppose if 70K to you is pocket change then go ahead... But my opinion is it's not worth the gamble.

To me it seems as if Ford continues to try to be the 'best' - and although that's what people think they want, in the end what they 'need' is a simple, reliable, easy and cheap to fix engine that will tow what they want without problems. Whats the point of being able to haul 30K#'s at 90 mph if you end up breaking down in 200 miles, or even worse, break down in some small town that has no way to fix your truck due to its complexities.... I suppose if you never left major interstates then no big deal, but I think its something to consider.

However, I cannot relate to the new gassers - so I'm honestly not sure if they are any more/less reliable than a new diesel. In my mind, anything newer than 2005 is junk, period. They may have better comforts and be able to haul more, but at an awful high cost of reliability, physical cost, and danger (how many people do you know who actually should be hauling a load over 20K#'s on a regular basis.... most can't even tow 5K#'s responsibly)

But, in the end, it all depends on what you're looking for, what you 'need' of a vehicle, and how much extra cash you have lying around. If you plan to be around areas that can fix such vehicles, and have the extra cash, then hey, these new diesels are in fact pretty cool. But if you need something reliable, mmmm….I would be pretty cautious with any new diesel, or any new vehicle period - unfortunately.

One thing I'd like to point out is the constant feeling of 'needing more'. More power, bigger homes, more electronics, more more more more more! I'm certainly guilty of it as well. But how quickly does more become bad. Eventually I see these trucks being no different than the tractors of the 70's. Heck half of them can already pull twice the weights! Meanwhile, people still want more more more. Sometimes simpler and less is better.

twodollars

2 egr coolers, both those required engine removal or body removal too. 5 dpf heaters. All of our failures of any magnitude have been off warranty. But well over 150k.

Last edited:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
ISB's.

There's the cooling system failure that nukes #6. Easy mod to fix. There's the injector failing and hosing down #6 and nuking it. And there's the guy that only tuned ''for fuel economy''. Lolz.

It's typical expo murphys law. The parts buried under the dash are the ones that fail.

.https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-powertrain/273873-06s-bad-pistons.html

It doesn't help that we can't take Dodges to the dealer. We have to drop them at a custom diesel pickup shop.

Chorky

Observer
ISB's.

There's the cooling system failure that nukes #6. Easy mod to fix. There's the injector failing and hosing down #6 and nuking it. And there's the guy that only tuned ''for fuel economy''. Lolz.

It's typical expo murphys law. The parts buried under the dash are the ones that fail.

.https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-powertrain/273873-06s-bad-pistons.html

Oh that's always how it is! like how the last header bolt is the only frozen one and busts off... Or the only spark plug wire bad on a van is the back two... I swear engineers do it on purpose hahahahha

Thanks for the link :)

Wallygator

Adventurer
The F150 wins when it comes to total cost of ownership. I get 10-12 more mpg than my buddies gasser F250. My insurance is less, my tires cost less, even my break pads cost less.... plus mine fits in a normal garage and rides much smoother when empty...lol.

That's good that you found a vehicle that fits for you and is working for your life situation right now. The half ton wouldn't work for me. Also I wouldn't own a truck if I cared about fuel economy, but that's me. My point was, the initial price of these trucks, particularly the half tons and mid-sizes, are not proportional compared to the bigger trucks.

The capability and durability (every part is built for abuse) of an F350 far exceeds that of an F150 and the F150 is only $3000 less??? That's ridiculous! But people keep buying them like crazy so the manufacturers take advantage of them IMO

D

Deleted member 9101

My point was, the initial price of these trucks, particularly the half tons and mid-sizes, are not proportional compared to the bigger trucks.

The capability and durability (every part is built for abuse) of an F350 far exceeds that of an F150 and the F150 is only $3000 less??? That's ridiculous! But people keep buying them like crazy so the manufacturers take advantage of them IMO

It all comes down to what it cost to own. Although the purchase price may "only" be $3,000 more, the total cost of ownership for a F350 is much higher than that of an F150. Every single thing on or for a F350 cost more. Also, there is not a huge difference in build cost between the two trucks.

As for durability.... crawl under a new F150 and have a look. No part of it is weak. In fact, many of its components (and capabilities) rival that of the previous generation F250.

Last edited by a moderator:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
F550 chassis cab, crew cab, 4x4, 6.7, 4.30 ls, is only $60k.

People are paying $20,000 for tailgate badges that I can get for free at the mall or Starbucks, and for cheap chinese cameras. Skip the ''keeping up with the Jones's'' options and they aren't too bad.

Oddly, F450's are the same price as 550's. Weird.

Mo4130

Adventurer
Longevity, power, durability, simplicity etc. all reasons to choose a diesel over gas.

Especially if you delete. I don’t know much about the Ford 6.7, I’m a Cummins guy, but there is no reason that, if well taken care of, a modern diesel can’t go half a million miles.

Yes it holds a ******** load more oil and maintenance can cost more up front, but if you do your research and adjust accordingly, there is no reason you can’t have a bomb proof setup, as long as it’s deleted ... EPA crap causes a whole lot of different issues.

I often agree with @Buliwyf, but on this I feel he’s wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree to an extent. If you’re constantly unloaded that is not good for a diesel. Yes It’s the after treatments that messes with these new diesels. If you take that crap off to limit the amount of soot that gets into the engine you’re golden but that all depends on the local rules around you. Diesels of today are far more complicated than they used to be.
But a GOOD tune will do wonders for hp/trq and mpgs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clutch

<---Pass
That's good that you found a vehicle that fits for you and is working for your life situation right now. The half ton wouldn't work for me. Also I wouldn't own a truck if I cared about fuel economy, but that's me. My point was, the initial price of these trucks, particularly the half tons and mid-sizes, are not proportional compared to the bigger trucks.

You can get a F150 in the low 20's if you spec it with almost nothing. Regular cabs NA V6's are cheap. When you start adding all the options, like extra/crew cab, 4WD, bigger engines, etc...price bloats real quick. In all reality...basic 2WD truck is more than enough than what most people will ever need...but that whole keeping up with Joneses thing, ya know...

Wallygator

Adventurer
It all comes down to what it cost to own. Although the purchase price may "only" be $3,000 more, the total cost of ownership for a F350 is much higher than that of an F150. Every single thing on or for a F350 cost more. Also, there is not a huge difference in build cost between the two trucks.

As for durability.... crawl under a new F150 and have a look. No part of it is weak. In fact, many of its components (and capabilities) rival that of the previous generation F250.

Yes I understand your point. I just don't agree with the whole cost of ownership thing on gas vs gas trucks. Meaning I don't agree it is "much" higher. I agree it is higher but not by a huge, massive margin

Wallygator

Adventurer
Ok so here is a good example about price proportions between the F150 xl V6 and the F350 xl 6.2 V8......two completely different trucks as far as capability goes. This is only two of the many options. They rip off half ton buyers!

F150
crew cab option- $6540
4x4 option- $3510

F350
crew cab option- $3600
4x4 option- $2805

Just ridiculous! THEY USE THE SAME CABS! and it costs $2940 more for the F150 cab vs the F350 cab??? An you can't tell me the independent front 4x4 system cost is $705 more than a Dana 60 built solid front axle with all the huge over built hardware attached to it, stronger transfer case, etc.....no way..... This is before adding a legit engine option to the F150......just no comparison and again the manufacturers are ripping off half ton and midsize buyers.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles