Next Question: Diesel vs. Gas F350

Dalko43

Explorer
Your attitude changes when you have to foot the repair bill for a HPP on the GM/Ford/Dodge diesels, especially if the truck is so new it's still under warranty.

If the truck is still under warranty, why would you be footing the bill?

The fuel delivery systems aren't that problematic on the newer trucks. They do cost a lot to replace; that's why proper maintenance is key to owning any modern diesel.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
If that was true, I might have bought one. I just can't afford the rebuild costs. I'm good with the upfront cost, but without a no questions asked warranty on the diesel fuel system for 200,000miles, I'm not touching one. At least not after reading the Dodge, GM, and Ford forums.

Bad fuel isn't covered by warranty. If you're lucky, your insurance company will take the hit. But those stories are few and far between.

A real tech could just throw a metering valve and some injectors at it. I don't think it's always the HPP. But if the cab is coming off, an incompetent shop is going to throw the works at it.

Clutch

<---Pass
The 2.7 is a potent motor. Most people are shocked at how well it tows. I got a 5* tune for mine and now it's a little monster.

I like that 2.7. The NA 3.3 would probably work...but I keep on flirting with buying either a 6X12 or7X14 enclosed trailer for weekend warrior stuff. The 2.7 would pull it better.

Your attitude changes when you have to foot the repair bill for a HPP on the GM/Ford/Dodge diesels, especially if the truck is so new it's still under warranty.

Would love to try a 1/2 ton or midsize diesel, but wouldn't own one out of warranty. Honestly don't even owning one out right is worth it. Leasing would most likely be the best option if you absolutely need a diesel to haul and tow. Trade that sucker in on a fresh one before the warranty is up.

D

Deleted member 9101

I like that 2.7. The NA 3.3 would probably work...but I keep on flirting with buying either a 6X12 or7X14 enclosed trailer for weekend warrior stuff. The 2.7 would pull it

The 2.7 would have zero problem. I have gone about 2k over my rated towing capacity and it didn't complain.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I'm hoping the big three will start putting turbo gas engines or bigger displacement NA gas engines in all the HD trucks. I feel kinda silly when half ton eco boost trucks pull the same load faster over the same passes as my HD truck. At least I know my drivetrain is reliable though, none of the temps rise much at all even going over the big passes and I could replace an engine hungover and with limited tools in half a day.
I'll go for reliability every time

Wallygator

Adventurer
The real silly part is you can build a base f150 4x4 with the 5.0 (or whatever) with what you want on it and then build a similar base F350 with the 6.2 and the F350 is only $3000 more. :oops: The half ton trucks and even more so the mid-size trucks, are consumer ripoffs IMO.

Clutch

<---Pass
The 2.7 would have zero problem. I have gone about 2k over my rated towing capacity and it didn't complain.
I wouldn’t even come close to capacity. All that would be in it is a couple dirt bikes and some cabinets, be lucky to push 3500 lbs.

The NA 3.3 V6 would do it, but my main concern with that is wind resistance.
The real silly part is you can build a base f150 4x4 with the 5.0 (or whatever) with what you want on it and then build a similar base F350 with the 6.2 and the F350 is only $3000 more. :oops: The half ton trucks and even more so the mid-size trucks, are consumer ripoffs IMO.

If you look, and all not hard you can find the HD trucks sometimes cheaper.

It is the fuel consumption that is the major difference. I typically drive 25K a year. Would make up that $3000 if there is one in the first year of ownership.

Real curious about the new Ranger’s fuel economy. I can build one for under $30K on the website. Ford always does incentives. Might be able to get one in the $25K range.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

The F150 wins when it comes to total cost of ownership. I get 10-12 more mpg than my buddies gasser F250. My insurance is less, my tires cost less, even my break pads cost less.... plus mine fits in a normal garage and rides much smoother when empty...lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 9101

I wouldn’t even come close to capacity. All that would be in it is a couple dirt bikes and some cabinets, be lucky to push 3500 lbs.

Don't quote me on this, but I want to say this the 2.7 uses less fuel than the NA V6.

Really, just test drive both and see which one you like. (Spioler alert.... the 2.7 will win :) )

D

Deleted member 9101

I feel kinda silly when half ton eco boost trucks pull the same load faster over the same passes as my HD truck. At least I know my drivetrain is reliable though, none of the temps rise much at all even going over the big passes and I could replace an engine hungover and with limited tools in half a day.
I'll go for reliability every time

Towing with an EcoBoost is awesome! They almost seem happy to have a load behind them.

FWIW: my last work truck had the 3.5 EcoBoost and went 178,000 with only a timing chain and alternator.

Clutch

<---Pass
Don't quote me on this, but I want to say this the 2.7 uses less fuel than the NA V6.

Really, just test drive both and see which one you like. (Spioler alert.... the 2.7 will win :) )

Sorry I quoted you.... :p :D

Would imagine the 2.7 could do better since you don't have to rev the crap out of it to get it to move.

I have test driven both...the 2.7 wins hands down...that trucks seems to have best of all the worlds. Great power, decent fuel economy, roomy inside, rides quite nice.

Kinda waiting see what the new Ranger will bring to the table, but the F150 2.7 seems about the best all-a-rounder out there at the moment.

Umbrarian

Observer
Any other thoughts on why not to buy the Super Duty diesel? Or other reasons to order one?

Why an F-350 gasser over an F-250 Gasser?

I would go Diesel in either one. Friend had a 4 yo f-250 gasser, he couldn't give it away at trade-in time. The fact he had to go 400 miles away to find one on a dealer lot when he was buying apparently wasn't a clue.

D

Deleted member 9101

Sorry I quoted you.... :p:D

Would imagine the 2.7 could do better since you don't have to rev the crap out of it to get it to move.

I have test driven both...the 2.7 wins hands down...that trucks seems to have best of all the worlds. Great power, decent fuel economy, roomy inside, rides quite nice.

Kinda waiting see what the new Ranger will bring to the table, but the F150 2.7 seems about the best all-a-rounder out there at the moment.

When I was truck shopping I was replacing a first gen Tundra. I started looking at the Tacoma and Frontier since they were about the same size as the Tundra. The F150 ended up being cheaper than a similarly equipped Tacoma or Frontier.

Clutch

<---Pass
When I was truck shopping I was replacing a first gen Tundra. I started looking at the Tacoma and Frontier since they were about the same size as the Tundra. The F150 ended up being cheaper than a similarly equipped Tacoma or Frontier.

Yep, the Tacoma and Frontier look even worse in comparsion...especially when the Ford gets better gas mileage and puts out more power.

As Wallygator was saying...midsizes don't make much sense.

Dalko43

Explorer
If that was true, I might have bought one. I just can't afford the rebuild costs. I'm good with the upfront cost, but without a no questions asked warranty on the diesel fuel system for 200,000miles, I'm not touching one. At least not after reading the Dodge, GM, and Ford forums.

Bad fuel isn't covered by warranty. If you're lucky, your insurance company will take the hit. But those stories are few and far between.

You're making a mountain out of a molehill. Injector issues and fuel quality-related problems aren't common for the recent batch of diesels. Common-rail diesels are used without drama in areas with far worse fuel quality than what we have here in North America. Change your filters as per the schedule and you'll be fine.

A real tech could just throw a metering valve and some injectors at it. I don't think it's always the HPP. But if the cab is coming off, an incompetent shop is going to throw the works at it.

One solution is to buy a brand that allows for basic repairs/maintenance without having to pull the cab off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles