FWC; major design changes, issues, and value?

kodiak-black

Observer
I do agree that it should be improved...but there is also a saying "Let sleeping dogs lie..." If it is selling like hot cakes why change? Would think if sales started to hurt they would have to change, but as of now...why? ya know?

View the FWC as a 3 season camper, don't think many people use them for winter camping...(sure some do, but most don't) so no real reason to improve upon insulation. So all that thermal bridge stuff doesn't really matter to the majority. Only the hard core, which are few.

I do like the Camp-X....if you're doing a lot of cold weather camping, that is the one you should buy (or maybe) while it is probably good, think if you're going to build a cold weather popup, it should have hard sides. The soft sides don't quite make sense to me, would assume they would be noisy on those cold windy winter nights, that and as an insulating factor hard sides make more sense. Even though... say something like an Alaskan is a very old design, and cost a touch more. Would probalbly go that route because of the hard sides.

Would like to see something like this come out of Overland Explorer. Not the LC part (while cool) but the camper.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/travelling-cruisers.245430/

f3da36715db03820c236b055132b19b4.jpg

View attachment 468565
Now that's a very cool set up. Haven't seen that before. I'm sure it's pricey but I like the idea.

Clutch

<---Pass
Now that's a very cool set up. Haven't seen that before. I'm sure it's pricey but I like the idea.

Yeah probably a bit spendy for being so custom. I am thinking a production slide-in or flatbed version should cut cost down. Do believe OEX is building a flatbed too.

I'll have to dig it up...think the link is saved on my other computer... there is a Euro forum that has a ton of those on there...mostly home built too.

This isn't it, but I think that is where most are sourcing their panels.

http://totalcomposites.com/expedition-trucks-rvs/

I know I keep on saying it if ain't broke don't fix it. But you would think if FWC went to a composite panel it would cut down production times...and maybe cost. Has to take an awful lot of effort to cut and weld all that tubing, then having to insulate and panel it.

Last edited:

kodiak-black

Observer
I know I keep on saying it if ain't broke don't fix it. But you would think if FWC went to a composite panel it would cut down production times...and maybe cost. Has to take an awful lot of effort to cut and weld all that tubing, then having to insulate and panel it.

Not to mention an improvement to the insulation efficiency of the camper, I imagine a weight savings, no wood means no rot and no water damage.

From a production stand point, better production efficiency = shorter build times = shorter wait times = more units $old. Theoretically it's a win-win for everyone.

In the next 5 years I think there will be a lot of other options available for everyone. Now that smaller shops are getting involved, they are actually starting with a clean slate as they are ground up builds. I'm sure FWC will be there as well.

kodiak-black

Observer
Four days off coming up for the holiday. Want my gps coords where I'll be camping? I'm sure the heater and fridge will get a workout (el. 9.3k) Bring your Jeep, I'll be towing mine.

GPS coordinates??? Technological advancement! Blasphemy!

I almost fell over in my chair...lol.

I thought you'd be a charts/ maps and compass guy for sure.

craig333

Expedition Leader

Oh I am! Just spent over two hundred bucks on paper maps to add to my collection. Still some tech is good. Those infernal combustion engines look promising :)

Clutch

<---Pass
Oh I am! Just spent over two hundred bucks on paper maps to add to my collection. Still some tech is good. Those infernal combustion engines look promising :)

Have both gps and maps...but seem to prefer the old fashion flipping of a coin when I am actually out and about.

kodiak-black

Observer
That is nice @sg1

With the composite panels...couldn't see why a person couldn't build one themselves. Then it doesn't matter what the manufactures do.

That's a very good point and an idea I have considered. Time and space is more of the issue. Garage is full with legitimate garage stuff, classic car, a street bike and a couple dirt bikes. I also thought about employing a local tradesman to build out the main structure of my design and then outfit it from there. It's not a pressing issue though, so I will likely head to Expowest next year and see if I can find some ideas.

Clutch

<---Pass
That's a very good point and an idea I have considered. Time and space is more of the issue. Garage is full with legitimate garage stuff, classic car, a street bike and a couple dirt bikes. I also thought about employing a local tradesman to build out the main structure of my design and then outfit it from there. It's not a pressing issue though, so I will likely head to Expowest next year and see if I can find some ideas.

Living in Idaho, and liking to camp during the shoulder months. I have considered it...also have a construction background, so I don't see it being too-too hard to do (famous last words, right? ;) )...but like you I don't have the room. When we bought our new to us house...we had to buy it in a hurry (long story)....great house but I got screwed on shop space...that and the misses has heavier duty tools than I do. She is into letterpress...our garage is basically an antique print shop. Can't really run grinders or weld in there...or it screws everything up. When we moved...I had to rent forklifts to move her stuff.....the one press is 1200 lbs....you go to grab a shoe box not realizing it is full of letterpress type..."what the Hell is in this!? Lead!?" yep...

I can weld steel, at least as well as blind drunk monkey... but clueless on aluminum. Have found a couple guys that could build an exoskeleton for me, then I could bond in the panels, but...I dunno...think I am just going to do an enclosed trailer...problem with these pickup bed campers is, you don't get very much square footage for the money. Have to pull a trailer for the dirt bikes anyways...so. Thinking a trailer makes more sense. At least that is the thought for this week...it will change by next. ;) :D

RoninWanderer

Definitely lost.... ?
Unless I missed it, no mention of the Alu-Cab Khaya camper! That's what we've been thinking about for our Tacoma. Granted, it's much smaller than the ones listed here and I've been enjoying googling each option ?. Perhaps a lot of you guys are driving full-size rigs? We have been looking a lot at the FWC as our main shop sells them. They are very plush, but there are two main issues for me in buying one. First, the design looks very dated IMHO. My Dad has something like that and he's retired. Second, they don't seem well suited to technical off-road use due to lack of storage for recovery gear, sharp corner edges and no place for a spare tire. The Khaya has solutions for all of that, but at a space compromise. We are hoping to see a Khaya soon to make a final decision. I'll start a build thread to show which direction we went. Oh, for reference, this is to sleep myself, my wife and our toddler son (and a dog) for 4-seasons. We wanted something that could last for 2 weeks in the bush and we live in WA so moisture is a major issue. The GZL is cool also, but cannot fit our spare tire or gear.

Clutch

<---Pass
Unless I missed it, no mention of the Alu-Cab Khaya camper! That's what we've been thinking about for our Tacoma. Granted, it's much smaller than the ones listed here and I've been enjoying googling each option ?. Perhaps a lot of you guys are driving full-size rigs? We have been looking a lot at the FWC as our main shop sells them. They are very plush, but there are two main issues for me in buying one. First, the design looks very dated IMHO. My Dad has something like that and he's retired. Second, they don't seem well suited to technical off-road use due to lack of storage for recovery gear, sharp corner edges and no place for a spare tire. The Khaya has solutions for all of that, but at a space compromise. We are hoping to see a Khaya soon to make a final decision. I'll start a build thread to show which direction we went. Oh, for reference, this is to sleep myself, my wife and our toddler son (and a dog) for 4-seasons. We wanted something that could last for 2 weeks in the bush and we live in WA so moisture is a major issue. The GZL is cool also, but cannot fit our spare tire or gear.

The Khaya looks good, decent price. Looks a bit tight though for a family plus a dog, especially if everyone is stuck inside during foul weather. My Wildernest is huge on the inside..but gotta tell you I go a little nuts if I am stuck inside for too long, and there are only 2 of us...and 95% of the time it is just me.

I keep looking at the OVRLND camper, seems like the best use of space out of all them. As you loose some with any slide-in.

https://campovrlnd.com

If you're concerned about style. FWC has some new colors and interior fabric options coming.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles