Anti-condensation mat?

s.e.charles

I looked that up, just didnt think it was going to be firm enough. I did find anti-condensation matting for boats that you can cut to size. Looking into that now.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I don't think you'll ever stop the generation of moisture, but rather need a way to allow it to dissipate after you get out of the rack. having air flow on all edges of the bed will help, too.

s.e.charles

Thats actually really nice price. Notice the picture with all the shingles? …

I've used similar 'cedar-breather' products (for roofing). they're like a big brillo pad. for the $$$, you might be better just to get the real thing. on the trail, folks will put up with great hardship as long as there's comfortable bed at the end of the day.

Lionix1

I looked that up, just didnt think it was going to be firm enough. I did find anti-condensation matting for boats that you can cut to size. Looking into that now.

I don't think you'll ever stop the generation of moisture, but rather need a way to allow it to dissipate after you get out of the rack. having air flow on all edges of the bed will help, too.
Wonder if its worth making a raised platform for air flow.

s.e.charles

not knowing how the bed is located is causing general answers to a specific question. if you have air flow under the bed frame, a series of slats with 1" - 2" space in between should generously allow your nocturnal moisture(s) to evaporate.

only YOU can decide what effort and $$$ the solution is worth.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
We used http://www.hyperventmarine.com/ . The RTT and Pop-up have cold outside air on the floor below the mattress. Body heat on the mattress above allows moisture to condense below it. The vent between the two really does help.

unity6.JPG

Well worth the investment.

ArkansasDon

Observer
IMO they do help your mattress to prevent moisture from accumulating we use the CVT anti condensation mat in our Smittybilt 2783 RTT. I have no issue of moisture building up underneath or in between my mattress & up the lower part of the walls.
Late winter or early spring camping we zip open the sky lights about 5" while the rain fly is on the tent. We found doing this helps prevents condensation on the ceilings & upper areas of the walls of our RTT. To minimize the moisture inside your tent is to ventilate, if you live in the south like the wife & I do, then humidity is another factor to deal with. Condensation will always be a issue IMO. My wife dry's the tent ceiling, walls down with a towel after were up & moving around, sometimes we run our 12v. Endless Breeze Fan inside the tent during day light hours to help dry out the tent. Its just part of it.

Last edited:

Atchcraft

We were rolling without a mat for awhile, as I didn’t want to spend the $ either. We’d get condensation, but we’d just deal with it and made due with ventilation. Last Thanksgiving, on a trip to WA, we stopped for a night near Kalamath Falls. The temperature dropped to 20* by the next morning. obviously, everything was frozen solid, which made closing the tent very interesting, as the mattress had frozen to the floor. We ended up ripping the mattress cover. That morning we stopped in Bend, where I ended up spending a lot of $ on gifts to smooth over having 2 California girls camping in 20* weather. I also stopped at CVT and spent the $ for an ACM, like I should have in the first place. Lesson of the day: You’re never going to avoid spending money on women, but you can avoid ruining a mattress cover.

Box Rocket

You just sold me on it. Ordering from Tepui now. Thanks!
If you haven't placed your order yet, I can get you 10% off from Tepui as a forum member discount. Orders need to be placed with me to for the discount but will ship from Tepui.

FWIW, Tepui anti-condensation mats are the best on the market based on my experience. Effective and easily the most durable.
ACMat.jpg

Last edited:

kdeleon

Observer
How thick are these anti-condensation mats? I store all our beddings, pretty much maxed out when folding the tent (we bring lots pillows!). I would hate to lose that convenience if that mat ends up using that much space.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
For what they charge why isn't FWC addressing the complaints? I've read about the issue for years now.
I have underbed storage on my Northstar which might be creating a dead air compartment.

Box Rocket

How thick are these anti-condensation mats? I store all our beddings, pretty much maxed out when folding the tent (we bring lots pillows!). I would hate to lose that convenience if that mat ends up using that much space.
You can see the thickness of the Tepui mats in the photo I posted. It's roughly 1/2" thick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles