Cargo Craft Offroad Trailers

woodardd

I’d also like to hear honest input. I’m mainly using for gear hauls on tolerable roads, but maybe I am missing something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ottsville

Observer
Think of it like taking the springs off an f550 and putting them on a jeep...you are going to get a ride that sucks. A 5200lb torsion axle on a trailer that is going to max out at, what, 2400lbs - it's going to bounce. Get your axle rated for the load you are carrying. That said, Dexter used to sell derated axles, don't know if they still do. IIRC, aspenx used to get 3500lb axles derated to 2200lbs so he could get the heavier duty spindles and brakes.
Now, if you are going to be running close to 5200lbs, then by all means get that.

Last edited:

woodardd

Appreciate the input and other options. Duly noted and will take into consideration.

bigskypylot

Explorer
Think of it like taking the springs off an f550 and putting them on a jeep...you are going to get a ride that sucks. A 5200lb torsion axle on a trailer that is going to max out at, what, 2400lbs - it's going to bounce. Get your axle rated for the load you are carrying. That said, Dexter used to sell derated axles, don't know if they still do. IIRC, aspenx used to get 3500lb axles derated to 2200lbs so he could get the heavier duty spindles and brakes.
Now, if you are going to be running close to 5200lbs, then by all means get that.
I will look in to the derated option but I do like that the frame uses beefier steel, not sure how much better but more stout is always a plus. Of course, I'm sure the 3500 is pretty stout as well. Going to go over things next week or two and see what I come away with.

bigskypylot

Explorer
Talked to Jerry today and he said build time is 8 to 10 weeks as he has 182 trailers in the que. As far as discounts for two trailers in the same order. No bueno. He is able to customize to your exact wants, needs. Really nice guy. I'm sending him a list of wants and needs tomorrow. He said he could do a 3500# axle with brakes and 5200# frame. Pretty much whatever you want. Will keep you informed

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

woodardd

Thanks for the update amigo. 180+ trailers with that lead time isn’t bad at all. I’ll be contacting him this week. I do think the 3,500# axle on 5,200# frame is the way to go. Keep me posted sir.

bigskypylot

Explorer
I'll contact you and show you what I'm looking to get done. I'll send it in a message. His email is trophymotors@ymail.com
Thanks for the update amigo. 180+ trailers with that lead time isn’t bad at all. I’ll be contacting him this week. I do think the 3,500# axle on 5,200# frame is the way to go. Keep me posted sir.

woodardd

Sounds good. I may just model off of what you are getting done since it sounded identical to my needs. Looking forward to hearing from you.

timber wolf

I have a cargo craft of Texas trailer. I ordered the beginning of April and was promised 6 to 8 weeks. It wasn’t delivered till the end of July, so I wouldn’t count on that build time.

Just so you know it is a decent trailer, but far from perfect. The welds are not that great, there are some welds on mine where they are just tacked in one spot. The blackout package is just someone painting all the metal that was silver, black with a can of spray paint. My side door binds a bit. I think because they put screws under the weatherstripping and that hold the door out a bit. When they installed my window one of the screw heads broke off and they just left it that way.

Even with all that I still think these trailers are a decent deal and am happy with my choice, but if you are planning on doing major off roading with it I doubt it will be strong enough.

bigskypylot

Explorer
I have a cargo craft of Texas trailer. I ordered the beginning of April and was promised 6 to 8 weeks. It wasn’t delivered till the end of July, so I wouldn’t count on that build time.

Just so you know it is a decent trailer, but far from perfect. The welds are not that great, there are some welds on mine where they are just tacked in one spot. The blackout package is just someone painting all the metal that was silver, black with a can of spray paint. My side door binds a bit. I think because they put screws under the weatherstripping and that hold the door out a bit. When they installed my window one of the screw heads broke off and they just left it that way.

Even with all that I still think these trailers are a decent deal and am happy with my choice, but if you are planning on doing major off roading with it I doubt it will be strong enough.
Good to know. I guess that's what you get for the price. I dont plan beating on it but that info you provided is good to know and may make me think twice.

ITTOG

I just bought a 6 x 12 trailer from www.trailershowroom.com. They let you fully customize so you can get what you want. I will be taking my trailer off-road so I had them use full tube steel on the walls and ceilings and used larger 5" rectangular steel on the floors. All of it is on 16" centers instead of the typical 24" centers. One thing I suggest you ask is what type of wall and ceiling studs they use. Some use studs that look like a Z and they will easily bend and tear up the skin as they flex. This only matters if you take it off-road.

I am supposed to pick my trailer up in two weeks. I can't wait to get it and try it out the following week. My main use will be to carry my gear into camp (which is about 5 miles of tough trails) and then convert to my sleeping quarters.

bigskypylot

Explorer
I just bought a 6 x 12 trailer from www.trailershowroom.com. They let you fully customize so you can get what you want. I will be taking my trailer off-road so I had them use full tube steel on the walls and ceilings and used larger 5" rectangular steel on the floors. All of it is on 16" centers instead of the typical 24" centers. One thing I suggest you ask is what type of wall and ceiling studs they use. Some use studs that look like a Z and they will easily bend and tear up the skin as they flex. This only matters if you take it off-road.

I am supposed to pick my trailer up in two weeks. I can't wait to get it and try it out the following week. My main use will be to carry my gear into camp (which is about 5 miles of tough trails) and then convert to my sleeping quarters.
Excellent and thank you for the heads up! I've heard that about the 16" centers vs. 24" also about the studs. What would you reccomend. Thanks again!

Any chance we could get your trailer spec sheet? Sounds like you got it down pat

Thanks!

ITTOG

Below are my specs. By studs in the wall and ceiling are 1" square tubes. If I had it to do over I would have made it 6.5' tall. I didn't because the primary place I take has a lot of trees and I am afraid of issues. I also wanted a roof rack but didn't add it for the same reasons. I was torn between the axles I bought versus the axle less Timbrens but decided due to the offroading issues it might put too much force on the Timbrens and bend the trailer frame. I guess I could have had the frame strengthened. This is my first one so I am hoping I didn't miss anything important.

Custom Order Options
LRKTX - 6 X 12 Tandem Axle Trailer - $500 Deposit
V-Nose - $161 Deposit
Medium Duty Ramp Door - $116 Deposit
16” On Center floor, walls, and ceiling- $25 Deposit
Fold_Down_Stabilizer_Jacks_$20_Deposit
Floor_Mount_D_Rings_(ea)_$12_Deposit
30x15 Window - $25 Deposit
Upgrade walls, ceiling and floor members to tube frame- $50 Deposit
Barnett side door - $10 Deposit
15"X30" Window With Vertical Slider (Mounted In Door) - $25 Deposit

Standard Equipment on All 6 Foot Wide Tandem Axle Trailers
· Side Walls 16 Inches On Center
· 2,000 Pound A-Frame Jack
· 2 5/16 Inch Hitch Coupler
· Interior Height - 72 Inches (6 Feet)
· Front Fiberglass Cap
· Break Away Kit
· Round 7 Pin Electrical Connector
· 32" Side Door
· 3/4 Inch Plywood Flooring
· 3/8 Inch Plywood Walls
· ST205/15 Bias Ply Tires
· White Spoke Rims
· E-Z Lube Hubs
· Aluminum Jeep Fenders
· White Aluminum Sides
· Galvalume Roof
· Screwed Exterior
· 3500 lb Leaf Spring Axles X 2 = 7K GVW
· Electric Trailer Brakes (Both Axles)

bigskypylot

Explorer
Below are my specs. By studs in the wall and ceiling are 1" square tubes. If I had it to do over I would have made it 6.5' tall. I didn't because the primary place I take has a lot of trees and I am afraid of issues. I also wanted a roof rack but didn't add it for the same reasons. I was torn between the axles I bought versus the axle less Timbrens but decided due to the offroading issues it might put too much force on the Timbrens and bend the trailer frame. I guess I could have had the frame strengthened. This is my first one so I am hoping I didn't miss anything important.

Custom Order Options
LRKTX - 6 X 12 Tandem Axle Trailer - $500 Deposit
V-Nose - $161 Deposit
Medium Duty Ramp Door - $116 Deposit
16” On Center floor, walls, and ceiling- $25 Deposit
Fold_Down_Stabilizer_Jacks_$20_Deposit
Floor_Mount_D_Rings_(ea)_$12_Deposit
30x15 Window - $25 Deposit
Upgrade walls, ceiling and floor members to tube frame- $50 Deposit
Barnett side door - $10 Deposit
15"X30" Window With Vertical Slider (Mounted In Door) - $25 Deposit

Standard Equipment on All 6 Foot Wide Tandem Axle Trailers
· Side Walls 16 Inches On Center
· 2,000 Pound A-Frame Jack
· 2 5/16 Inch Hitch Coupler
· Interior Height - 72 Inches (6 Feet)
· Front Fiberglass Cap
· Break Away Kit
· Round 7 Pin Electrical Connector
· 32" Side Door
· 3/4 Inch Plywood Flooring
· 3/8 Inch Plywood Walls
· ST205/15 Bias Ply Tires
· White Spoke Rims
· E-Z Lube Hubs
· Aluminum Jeep Fenders
· White Aluminum Sides
· Galvalume Roof
· Screwed Exterior
· 3500 lb Leaf Spring Axles X 2 = 7K GVW
· Electric Trailer Brakes (Both Axles)

Nice. Sounds like a nice setup. I'm going for a smaller footprint with a 5x8 but not sure on height. I spoke with Chris and he said they could do whatever height I wanted starting with a 4ft10 or 5ft height or i could co from 5ft down 12" increments to 4ft. I'm thinking 4ft10 or 4ft

So many options to be had.

ITTOG

I thought about a shorter one as well but really want to be able to stand up in it. I did some research on lowering it if it ends up being too high, which is doable. Obviously it is easier and cheaper to lower it than it is to raise it. I have the added hurdle of having to raise the bottom of the trailer by putting the axle under the leaf springs to get more ground clearance. Will suck on the road but the only way I will make it into camp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94