What makes a Unicat worth more than a Earth Roamer?

evagoblin

I rarely read about the Unicat, and it doesn't even have a category here, so why is it priced so much higher than an Earth Roamer which is pretty high

DCGibbs

Observer
Unicat is a German based engineering company dedicated to the Off-Highway Expedition market. Composite Cabins versus Fiberglass. International Chassis using MAN 4X4, 6X6, Mercedes 4X4, 6X6, Unimog, and IH. There is no direct comparison to EarthRoamer on a beefed-up Ford500. In the international markets of Africa, Australia, East Asian, Western Europe - there are two other competitors for Unicat. BiMobile and Bliss. For exactly the same reason. They are purpose built expedition cabins for long-hauls in comfort.

Last edited:

DzlToy

Explorer
As noted above, there is simply no comparison between the high end European builders and Earth Roamer, Earth Cruiser, GXV, etc.

Check out this video for details:

for comparison, a few years ago, a customer of one of the large US manufacturers was left stranded when a water line failed and flooded his camper. The builder used plastic water lines and I believe that a cabinet had been set down on the water line or a screw had been put through it, something silly and negligent for sure. I am not picking a fight, but when you pay a million Euros for a Unicat, things like that simply don't happen. Unicat has been building serious off road vehicles for decades and they did not start by paying someone to finish a project they **************** either.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I have worked for Unicat before I moved to Canada many moons ago. Back then there where only a handfull Expedition Truck builders in the whole world. Needless to say that back then a lot of things needed to be invented and Unicat was at the forefront. We basicly invented the flush mount real glass windows, three point door locks and the fixed wall lifting roof system. I can assure you that the attention to detail in Unicats is not to be found with any builders in North America.
In any case, there are now many other european builders that can build to the same quality level. The one thing U is still very good at, is the "one of a kind" build nobody wants to tackle. I proud myself to have a direct line one of the original engineers from Unicat that helped build this industry. Together with him we have done some pretty cool custom designs for some of our customers.

Victorian

You are correct on the stairs. Look like a great idea but having a fast way to get in and out is very important. Can't even count the times I "forgot" something inside and had to set up our stairs. Thank goodness ours only take 20 seconds to set up and are small enough that even in a tight parking lot I can get up and in. Something that is also important durring quick lunch breaks or overnight stops at Walmart parking lots or gas stations. I would not like to have to worry a set of stairs that stick out several feet.

Joe917

Explorer
No comparison between the base vehicles.
Quality far higher at Unicat, for example KCT windows vs Seitz.

Victorian

Yep, the differences are in the details. When I was working there, we constructed all windows, doors AND locking mechanisms by hand from scratch ! Not sure if they are still doing this, but it is an insane amount of craftsmanship, engineering and time that goes into those trucks.

boxcar1

boxcar1
I have to be honest. I am not fond of the software dependence of the Unicat. I think long term it will prove to be detrimental and is totally un necessary. I hate the idea of climbing over the dinette or others sleeping in the lower bunk to access the upper bunk. I agree that in Europe The chassis is defiantly more serviceable than the Ford offered by Earth roamer. But in the states / Canada / México/ South America???? Nothing could be farther from the truth. Well guys and galls..... That's half of the known world. They both build High end Luxury type campers. ( Expo vehicles ) For the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ They ask for them ( I AM NOT FAULTING THE COST ) I know what it takes to build a proper expo.... One could easily find a builder that will custom build to your specs and requirements. You then will have a rig perfect for you. Not some guy in Europe or Colorado's opinion of what is perfect for you. IE: Orange interior panels????? I'd grind my teeth to the jaw living in that thing. Look's like a day care inside. IMHO Neither manufacturer build a better or worse rig. They are both successful innovators in a new market.

s.e.charles

...... One could easily find a builder that will custom build to your specs and requirements. You then will have a rig perfect for you. ...

I would push back a bit on that angle. anyone who has ever had a haircut, suit altered, or home improvement project done, may also agree with my thought. or not.

finding someone to carry out your instructions, even though most job descriptions have the inclusion "ability to follow simple verbal and written instructions" is hardly easy. and through the entire process that person will know more than you do about what you want & need.

who will, and at what cost (gawd help me if the engineer found out I used the word "budget") both monetary and in time, write the specifications for the job? as soon as the purchased agrees to provide either, the scrimmage line is set and the game is on. extras & change orders become the battle du jour. the buyer then needs to be engineer, craftsman, electrical & IT expert ad nauseum. and he has to watch over a disgruntled bunch of "trained professionals" most of whom "don't need no pretty piece a paper" to do excellent work, build his dream?

we all know craftsmen, both full time pros and weekend warriors. but how much would we trust them to build a multi-thousand dollar life-may-depend-upon-it vehicle? when you're out in east gagordia and the damn thing won't turn over, is the custom builder going to leave his family picnic and come to get your butt out of a hole?

I could go on . . .

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Uh.. no.. no you can't...

In this country... That person is called GXV... That is the only custom builder that I have seen.. with a company and resources to support a custom build...

Resources; being in an area with a lot of other "vehicle" related companies like limo builders and such?

Last edited:

boxcar1

boxcar1
As a builder and owner of many custom rigs. Some that I built , some built by others I'd have to disagree with the two of you. s.e. Charles . Comparing a hair cut to a expedition vehicle is a bit of a stretch but here goes. If you are using a barber that needs your help knowing how to cut hair????? You my friend chose the wrong barber.... The same is true with a custom builder. Once all of the parameters are agreed upon . The contract signed. The only up charges or change orders coming from my shop or any reputable shop would be generated by the owner. If the owner changes the parameters mid build, then, and only then, would the final price change. And now for your final question. Do you think either of the builders listed in this conversation will come to "east gagordia " To replace a fuse for you??? Some mechanical ability is required when truly off-roading. They might send a tow truck. Or re embers you for your expenditures. But likely would refer you to the manufacturer of the base rig . Ford for instance.

David 113 What country???? All manufacturers of RV's and customs start somewhere. Possibly, you have never been exposed to the custom industry.

mk216v You're from Portland. My back yard.... There are mannnnnnnnyyyyyyyy qualified off road builders in your aria. The coach work is just as easy. I'm 97 miles away. Idashow is less than 350 miles away. I am sure there are many other qualified custom coach builders near you as well.

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
As a builder and owner of many custom rigs. Some that I built , some built by others I'd have to disagree with the two of you. s.e. Charles . Comparing a hair cut to a expedition vehicle is a bit of a stretch but here goes. If you are using a barber that needs your help knowing how to cut hair????? You my friend chose the wrong barber.... The same is true with a custom builder. Once all of the parameters are agreed upon . The contract signed. The only up charges or change orders coming from my shop or any reputable shop would be generated by the owner. If the owner changes the parameters mid build, then, and only then, would the final price change. And now for your final question. Do you think either of the builders listed in this conversation will come to "east gagordia " To replace a fuse for you??? Some mechanical ability is required when truly off-roading. They might send a tow truck. Or re embers you for your expenditures. But likely would refer you to the manufacturer of the base rig . Ford for instance.

David 113 What country???? All manufacturers of RV's and customs start somewhere. Possibly, you have never been exposed to the custom industry.

mk216v You're from Portland. My back yard.... There are mannnnnnnnyyyyyyyy qualified off road builders in your aria. The coach work is just as easy. I'm 97 miles away. Idashow is less than 350 miles away. I am sure there are many other qualified custom coach builders near you as well.

Some qualified builders in the PacNW yes, but many customers don't want to pay the $$$$ for the best.

waveslider

Outdoorsman
Some qualified builders in the PacNW yes, but many customers don't want to pay the $$$$ for the best.

Or, as it has been mentioned in other threads, they might be a little gun-shy having spent the money for supposedly the best previously and been left wanting....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles