Another expedition truck on portals...

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Those are sick!

I guess I never really thought about it, but i didn't realize that the steering knuckles were INSIDE of the portals. That's going to make clearancing for tires/turning radius interesting to say the least.

Ash@Geared

Those are sick!

I guess I never really thought about it, but i didn't realize that the steering knuckles were INSIDE of the portals. That's going to make clearancing for tires/turning radius interesting to say the least.

That would definitely have been a problem if we wanted to match the overall width of the factory Rover axles. The centerline of the steering kingpins is virtually the same as the Rover swivel balls, and overall we're only about 7" wider than stock axles at the WMS. We'll get some of that back with 7" backspaced wheels, so the track width shouldn't be too crazy.

Saint Nick

The build looks fantastic, and obviously Ash's skills are unquestionable, but I'm sure this build ain't cheap :eek: I live in a world without bottomless pockets, mouths to feed and bills to pay, so I really don't get excited about these sort of builds any more - regardless of the make of vehicle. I would like to see the end result however.

Nick.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I have had two vehicles with portals and they are fantastic. Did not think that they were available for LRs but it is a favorable improvement as far as clearance and reliability.

I have had two vehicles with portals and they are fantastic. Did not think that they were available for LRs but it is a favorable improvement as far as clearance and reliability.
Portals are great as far as ground clearance but definitely NOT as far as reliability!!!!

Ash@Geared

The client asked for a little time to get caught up as he's in the process of remodeling a new home, so I've shelved the project (literally) for a bit. We actually just had a conversation last week about getting rolling again, so I should be able to get some updates flowing here soon enough.

As to the topic of portal reliability, I can't really comment with any firsthand experience. I'll say that we're about as confident as we can be, given the manufacturer of these boxes operates in the realm of vehicles that far exceed the weight and durability requirements of our application.

IMG_8440.jpg

I can comment re 1st and 2nd hand Report’s about portal reliability. I have had a high but not perfect level of reliability in 99600mi. Other owners particularly with previous owners have done worse. If there’s one area of trouble with Unimogs it’s the portals.

Ash@Geared

I can comment re 1st and 2nd hand Report’s about portal reliability. I have had a high but not perfect level of reliability in 99600mi. Other owners particularly with previous owners have done worse. If there’s one area of trouble with Unimogs it’s the portals.

What kind of failures are people experiencing on the MB portals? The Tibus portal boxes we initially explored as an option had an available temperature sensor upgrade, which made me wonder if they were having overheating issues at sustained speed.

Well let’s see. I have been lucky, just one inside oil seal inside front portal in almost 100k mi. Problem started between Perm and Suzdal Russia. Ask Bill Caid about his previous owned U1300 and the portals. He did the best possible job in maintenance and rebuilding and still lost 3 over a few years. In places like Alaska on a long trip.
Not the most reliable part of a Unimog. He now owns a 1017. I still own a Mog. I bought it new.
People have had failures even with temperature monitoring. I have it but it is not a guarantee.

Last edited:
I carry the parts to rebuild TWO portals in the field. I suppose as a corollary to Murphy’s Law I haven’t had to do it. But many others have. A U500 owner had to do it in Marvdasht Iran a few years ago getting parts through import embargo. Due to oil migration into diff. In that case temperature monitor would have helped.
What is the oil capacity of LR portals? Older Mogs are only 250-300ml; U500 is drastically increased to 700ml.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles