Extremely rough ride 5100 Bistein struts on my 3” lifted Gen 2 Xterra. Help please.

trae

Adventurer
I've never had a good experience with teh 5100s. I had them on a JK Wrangler and didn't like them and they aren't well reviewed on the Jeep forums. What springs are you using? Or did you just get the kit that cranks down the stock springs for the lift?
It is just the stock springs on the 5100 Bilstein strut.

Have you replaced your UCAs? The common experience is that anything above 2” will cause coil bucket contact.

Thenewx.org is a good resource for second Gen xterra stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mo4130

Adventurer
I have a 3” spacer lift on the front struts.
That’s most likely your issue. I remember reading if you use the 5100s for anything over 1.5 to 2 inch it’s gonna ride rough. Did it always ride rough?
Also at the end of the day you need to pay to play, you want a good handling truck you’re gonna need to sack up and do suspension right. You should not use more than a .5 inch spacer to help achieve fine tuning of your lift.

hovenator

Explorer
From everything I've ever read about lift spacers, sounds like you have too much preload on the front struts, giving you the harsh ride. Also, what setting are the snap rings on? They shouldn't be past the second from the top groove. I've run the 5100's on 2 trucks and that has been my experience as well as what people like Greg of PRG have told me. Just my .02 for what it's worth.

JLee Xterra

Have you replaced your UCAs? The common experience is that anything above 2” will cause coil bucket contact.

Yes. I have replaced the UCAs with adjustable ones.

JLee Xterra

From everything I've ever read about lift spacers, sounds like you have too much preload on the front struts, giving you the harsh ride. Also, what setting are the snap rings on? They shouldn't be past the second from the top groove. I've run the 5100's on 2 trucks and that has been my experience as well as what people like Greg of PRG have told me. Just my .02 for what it's worth.
The snap ring is on the lowest point it can go. They came pre set like that.

JLee Xterra

Yes I have replaced the UCAs with adjustable ones

Obrianmcc

Observer
Sounds like you need to go away from the spacer. The 5100's are good for 2" ... more than that you'll need to transition to a true adjustable coil over. On the plus side you have already upgraded your UCA, so you're half way there.

Last edited:

TurboChris

Adventurer
3" spacers are way to big. I have the 5100's. At first I moved the clip up to one or two from max, it yielded about a 3" lift but it was SO rough I couldn't stand it. So I adjusted it one from the bottom for height and then installed a 2" spacer. It gives me a true 3 inch lift and a comfortable "stock like" ride. But I was getting coil bucket contact and had to go with SPC upper control arms. Now it's perfect.

JLee Xterra

3" spacers are way to big. I have the 5100's. At first I moved the clip up to one or two from max, it yielded about a 3" lift but it was SO rough I couldn't stand it. So I adjusted it one from the bottom for height and then installed a 2" spacer. It gives me a true 3 inch lift and a comfortable "stock like" ride. But I was getting coil bucket contact and had to go with SPC upper control arms. Now it's perfect.

Thank you! I'm currently heading in that direction myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles