Awnings - Driver or Passenger side mounted?

CSG

Explorer
They're conventionally mounted on the passenger side so they face camp in campgrounds. Unless you back in...

No Ma

Wonderer
First one was passenger side. A year later, the second one went on the driver side. Too many places where an off-road teardrop goes where you really can't choose the way you park it.

GHI

Adventurer
Passenger side because that's where the main access door is on our van after we set up camp. I'll admit to staying in campgrounds. In my experience both the back in sites and pull through sites are all set up for your utility hook ups to be on the driver side and your designated sprawling out area to be on the passenger side. None of that probably matters to you based on your listed vehicles.

kdeleon

Observer
I have a 270 which is mounted driver side. Primarily because I have a JK that has a rear swingout opening to passenger side. To maximize the moving area, the driver side makes most sense. I don't use the awning on the side of a highway or trail, I really use it only for when I am settled down into a campsite or in a wide open area with no shade so I really have no issues with it being mounted on the driver side. We also live essentially off the back of the Jeep or the 80 so having that rear coverage from 270 was a no-brainer for me. If I had to get the one-sided awning, i would probably get one that deploys to the rear of the truck.

zimm

Expedition Leader
i use an rei 12/12 tarp and poles, so it goes anywhere, covers more area, packs in a bag, and isnt a fish hook on trails.

4Beast

Observer
Passenger side, but I often feel like I'm in the minority. My RTT opens to the driver's side. I think there is rationale for both sides and no "right" or "wrong."

Chris Boyd

Explorer
Passenger side, so we can pull to the side of the road/trail, have lunch and not worry about blocking or other issues.

On my rig, driver would actually be better, both because of the swing out and the opening direction of the lid on my trailer, but in the end those things are pretty minor. I’m considering flipping the lid of the trailer to open the other way anyway.

Box Rocket

I've found I prefer to open my tent to the passenger side so the awning is on the driverside. It's also more convenient for me when traveling solo since I naturally access the truck from the driverside more often. Eliminates the need to walk around to the opposite side of the truck so much. But like others mentioned, I don't know that there's any right or wrong answer. I'm totally confused by the comment regarding passenger side mounting so that it opens "toward camp" when parked. Is there some parking direction camp etiquette I'm not aware of?

kdeleon

Observer
I read that most established campsites are designed in a certain way that favors passenger side mounting. I haven't really observed or paid attention much -- and majority of my camping has always been dispersed/primitive/solo so there is no parking etiquette to abide by... Heck I even put my potty setup to get the best view!

Box Rocket

I read that most established campsites are designed in a certain way that favors passenger side mounting. I haven't really observed or paid attention much -- and majority of my camping has always been dispersed/primitive/solo so there is no parking etiquette to abide by... Heck I even put my potty setup to get the best view!
Maybe that's my problem, I avoid established campsites at all costs. Carry on.

4Beast

Observer
I'm totally confused by the comment regarding passenger side mounting so that it opens "toward camp" when parked. Is there some parking direction camp etiquette I'm not aware of?
For that matter, even if there is, wouldn't you just back in instead of pulling in forward, so it's on the other side?

762X39

Explorer
I built an awning for my work van. It is on the passenger side for no other reason then that's the way I configured my work van interior. Katherine loves it. I think I will make another one for the Mog. All in, I have less than $120 into it including the roll up nylon camp carpet (made in Canada of course).
Van Awning.jpg

Kevin108

Explorer
Originally placed on the driver side, we found that the awning provided significantly more shade on the passenger side when were backed up to the shore, as is the norm in the Outer Banks. The following photos were taken about a year apart, but at roughly the same time of year and same time of day. The longer shadow clearly speaks for itself.

driver-v-passenger.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz