Drove a JKU and JLU back to back yesterday...JK is still better.

jadmt

ignore button user
My neighbor is the GM at the local DRCJ dealership and now drives a new JL rubicon. I get to see it everyday, it still is not growing on me. I liked the TJ's the first time I saw one and I liked the JK's the first time I saw one. There is just something about the JL that is not doing it for me. I have had 4 jk's including 3 rubicons. I was waiting impatiently for the JL hoping it was going to wow me as the extra mpg would be nice, but according to my neighbor he is not getting much better than I am. Looked at the jl 2 door yesterday for the first time and it does look better than the 4 door jl.

Lt Dan

Observer
Agree with jadmt!
As an over-landing vehicle it's out for me. (If the below is true).
Apparently if batteries die on the JL it can not be jump started from another vehicle or lithium jump pack , per JL forum.
It's happened to several new JL owners that had various reasons for battery drain and jump starting didn't work. They had to put it on a 110 battery charger.
As I understand it, the smaller battery is used exclusively to start the Jeep and run ESS. When starting the brains (computer) lock out the larger battery and relies solely on the small battery to start. Once started both batteries are reconnected in parallel so they charge together but also drain together.

As far as appearance, Ive warmed up to the JL some but wouldn't consider it an upgrade if I traded in my 17 JKUR.

I like the more traditional hood. My 17 JKUR reminds me of the Willeys MB I used for work for about 8 years. I know the hood is not flat like the MB but it's as close as you can get these days.

Lt. Dan

GB_Willys_2014

^^^^

I had not heard about the battery issue. Interesting in a bad way.

This reminds me of a JL question ... Does anyone know if they have stock skid plates like the JK's?

Bobzdar

Observer
Our trails are very tight with a lot of alder trees that grow in on the trails. They will destroy the signal lights on the fenders. Limb Risers are a must as your windshield will be toast in short order too. And NO it's not fear of change. It's I, as in ME, feel the JL is not as nice as the JK as an off roader. Mall crawler, sure.

Then those same trails will destroy the signal lights on your JK fenders. I appreciate your worry about signal lights, but it's not unique to the JL if it's a real concern.

Also, I didn't realize you've got experience off-roading a JL? Because your initial post was regarding on-road manners, not off.

I've been on trail with both, last trail breakdown was on my buddy's JK where the plastic shift lever bushing broke. Had to pull him off of an obstacle so he could crawl under and shift the trans into gear so he could leave the trail. So much for those nice durable JK's off road with less stuff underneath to break...To be fair I had my JLUR pulled out on the same trail when I stopped on soft ground and it sunk in, but I didn't break unlike the JK. So, based on actual off-road experience, I feel the JK isn't as nice off road. It's got an inferior drivetrain. It was good for the time, but that was 10 years ago. As to mall crawl, that's dominated by the JK's and their angry eye grills, 8 million light bars and rockstar wheels. Haven't seen too many JL's pimped out yet.

GB_Willys_2014

Then those same trails will destroy the signal lights on your JK fenders. I appreciate your worry about signal lights, but it's not unique to the JL if it's a real concern.

Also, I didn't realize you've got experience off-roading a JL? Because your initial post was regarding on-road manners, not off.

I've been on trail with both, last trail breakdown was on my buddy's JK where the plastic shift lever bushing broke. Had to pull him off of an obstacle so he could crawl under and shift the trans into gear so he could leave the trail. So much for those nice durable JK's off road with less stuff underneath to break...To be fair I had my JLUR pulled out on the same trail when I stopped on soft ground and it sunk in, but I didn't break unlike the JK. So, based on actual off-road experience, I feel the JK isn't as nice off road. It's got an inferior drivetrain. It was good for the time, but that was 10 years ago. As to mall crawl, that's dominated by the JK's and their angry eye grills, 8 million light bars and rockstar wheels. Haven't seen too many JL's pimped out yet.

I really am not a partisan here.

But, I am curious: did FCA replace those crappy plastic bushing in the JL?

I really do hope so. I carry a bunch of them in my tool pouch, but have not yet had to mess with this, thankfully.

Perhaps, like all new vehicles, the JL presents a mixed bag of improvements and new issues. Regardless, I think it is important for the enthusiast community to be armed with a broad body of knowledge.

autism family travels

There are no signal lights on my JK fenders.

Bobzdar

Observer
Agree with jadmt!
As an over-landing vehicle it's out for me. (If the below is true).
Apparently if batteries die on the JL it can not be jump started from another vehicle or lithium jump pack , per JL forum.
It's happened to several new JL owners that had various reasons for battery drain and jump starting didn't work. They had to put it on a 110 battery charger.
As I understand it, the smaller battery is used exclusively to start the Jeep and run ESS. When starting the brains (computer) lock out the larger battery and relies solely on the small battery to start. Once started both batteries are reconnected in parallel so they charge together but also drain together.

As far as appearance, Ive warmed up to the JL some but wouldn't consider it an upgrade if I traded in my 17 JKUR.

I like the more traditional hood. My 17 JKUR reminds me of the Willeys MB I used for work for about 8 years. I know the hood is not flat like the MB but it's as close as you can get these days.

Lt. Dan

It doesn't jump start if you connect to the main battery and don't give the AUX battery sufficient time to charge, but if you don't want to wait you can connect directly to the ESS batt and jump. The reason for this is when you hit the start button, it decouples the two batteries and uses the ESS battery, so if you haven't given the ESS battery sufficient time to charge or haven't hooked directly to it, it won't jump start. The only time I don't think it'd work with a traditional jump (and you've waited 5-10 minutes for the battery to charge) is if the ESS/Aux battery is damaged and won't hold enough charge to start. In that case, you can hook to terminal N5 instead of pos batt and it should work.

Bonus is factory dual batteries, which I've verified can run the (propane) fridge in my camper for 2 days without draining the battery.

jadmt

ignore button user
So you've mitigated the issue on your JK with aftermarket fenders and are concerned with the factory JL fenders? Sounds like you're making up reasons now.
I am not aware of any JK's that had signal lights on the fenders from the factory. i know some people have wired the amber marker lights to come on as turn signals.

jadmt

ignore button user
I really am not a partisan here.

But, I am curious: did FCA replace those crappy plastic bushing in the JL?

I really do hope so. I carry a bunch of them in my tool pouch, but have not yet had to mess with this, thankfully.

Perhaps, like all new vehicles, the JL presents a mixed bag of improvements and new issues. Regardless, I think it is important for the enthusiast community to be armed with a broad body of knowledge.
looks like the JL has improved on the bushings but the jury is still out on whether they will prove to be any better. I think either style if you ham fist the shifter you are going to pop them loose. either way neither style should be something that strands you if you take the time to learn how they work.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
Yes they have skid plates on the Ruby(full), I'm not sure of the other models and--

The JL/w manual can be "CLUTCH POPPED" to start--

There are various connections you can make to jump start/w a dead battery-but the ECM system is quite complex-

W.E.

JIMBO

autism family travels

I am not aware of any JK's that had signal lights on the fenders from the factory. i know some people have wired the amber marker lights to come on as turn signals.

Exactly. My fenders are stock and they do not have uber expensive LED signals in the fenders. Someone is trying to come up with crap here! and it's not me!

autism family travels

Guys, the replacement shifter part is like 10 bucks. Not like it's some unobtainium part that costs thousands. Can't wait for the electronics to crap out in the dash of the JL. At least with the JK you can pull the stereo in 15 mins and install a cheap replacement. the un even fender line is FUGLY too!

jadmt

ignore button user
Guys, the replacement shifter part is like 10 bucks. Not like it's some unobtainium part that costs thousands. Can't wait for the electronics to crap out in the dash of the JL. At least with the JK you can pull the stereo in 15 mins and install a cheap replacement. the un even fender line is FUGLY too!
you can dorman replacements for like .99. I carry a couple but have never needed them in 7 years but something I have worried about. Even if someone does not have a spare or two you can use a zip tie to get to dry land :) Looking at the JL's I can see that having potential problems as well if the rod pulls out of the plastic holder the bushing is installed in. regardless which kind you have a person needs to know how the linkage works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles