Extremely rough ride 5100 Bistein struts on my 3” lifted Gen 2 Xterra. Help please.

JLee Xterra

I installed 5100 bilstein struts on my 2012 Nissan Xterra a while back and the ride is extremely rough! I figured they would break in eventually with all the off roading I do. But nope. Still as hard as can be. Had anyone else experienced this. Any advice would be greatly excepted.

Thank you.

(none)

Adventurer
I've never had a good experience with teh 5100s. I had them on a JK Wrangler and didn't like them and they aren't well reviewed on the Jeep forums. What springs are you using? Or did you just get the kit that cranks down the stock springs for the lift?

Obrianmcc

Observer
I'm running the 5100's and they aren't too bad. However I did expect them to stiffen up as you are achieving lift by purely spring pre-load. Moving to a true coil over would allow use of a different spring rate to achieve the lift with less pre-load , which will provide a more compliant ride..... for more $$$ of course. Another reason I chose to go with the 5100's was that for my use I did not want to deal with pulling the shocks to have them serviced and/or rebuilt. $400.00 will get you a full set of replacement 5100's.

JLee Xterra

I've never had a good experience with teh 5100s. I had them on a JK Wrangler and didn't like them and they aren't well reviewed on the Jeep forums. What springs are you using? Or did you just get the kit that cranks down the stock springs for the lift?
It’s crazy how stiff they are. I feel like my supension is a drum kit riding down the road ha!

JLee Xterra

I think I’m going to bite the Bullett and just go with some FOX true coil overs. I’m concerned that I’ll blow out the upper arms boot at this rate with how stiff the shock is.

JLee Xterra

It is just the stock springs on the 5100 Bilstein strut.

Obrianmcc

Observer
I tend to wonder if you're maybe experiencing some sort of bind up with a 3" spacer. My 5100's IMO ride pretty good set at 2"

JLee Xterra

I tend to wonder if you're maybe experiencing some sort of bind up with a 3" spacer. My 5100's IMO ride pretty good set at 2"
I’m really not sure. I have had the shop look at it a few times ( they did not do the install) and was told everything looks good. That’s why I’m so confused.

Obrianmcc

Observer
IDK ... but from what I've read a 3" spacer isn't going to play nice with the Nissan suspension. Also my understanding is that once you hit 3" you should upgrade your UCA's, etc. Nisstec is usually pretty helpful.

Obrianmcc

Observer
Another thing to consider is actual tire pressure ... I've been guilty of running too high of pressure and it really effected my suspension feel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles