post your Suburban pics

BlackBurb

Stock 2011 Z71 Suburban 1500 with 2-speed transfer case and G80. This replaced a 2000 GMC Yukon XL 4x4 G80, sold with over 250k miles

The Suburban/Yukon XL has been a great platform for our family of 5 +retriever, for daily use hauling the HS girls golf team (6 young ladies, clubs and push carts) to week-long unsupported expeditions. The Burb now gets used daily to haul up to 600lbs of medical equipment and on weekends and holidays as our expedition vehicle into Anza Borrego, Big Bear, Johnson Valley, Joshua Tree, Colorado, Utah, etc. The Trails Off-road technical description of “3. Moderate” describes the off-road capabilities of the suburban well, “moderate terrain; typically, more rock or undulated road surface. Rocks less than 12" tall and/or vertical ledges less than 12" tall and/or near-vertical ledges or waterfalls less than 24" inches. Careful tire placement required." The first two pics below are of a 3 day trip on the White Rim Trail(2017). The third pic is a weekend day trip to Anza Borrego, Dos Cabezas Railway station ruins. I’ve added a recent (2021) trip to the Gold Crown OHV area, this was on trail JS1957. A very narrow shelf road with switchbacks and multiple rock gardens. The stock z71 aluminum running boards got some rock rash but were effective at preventing body damage and the rim of the stock z71 wheels got rock chips.

Overlanding Mods:
Custom Mohave Creosote Bush Pinstripes
Cracked Dash covered with a DashSkin molded dash cover
Reflectix for the rear windows
Slip cover shade/bug screens for the rear passenger windows

Suspension: Front leveled w/Bilstein B8 5100 shocks (Ride Height Adjustable, set at 1.75" to level suspension), Bilstein B8 5100 shocks rear

Tires: 265/70R18 (32.5x10.5) Michelin Defender LTX M/S Tires... Great tires for daily driving, wet roads, light snow and forest roads. When leaving the maintained roads and hitting the trail these tires perform surprisingly well. We typically air down to 15-20psi for comfort on washboarded roads and rocky SoCal desert terrain. They handled the White Rim Trail very well. I keep saying I'm going to buy dedicated offroad tires but these haven't given me a viable reason to do so for the terrain we have encountered. Note: These tires did not rub before the front was leveled. Since the leveling shocks were installed they now rub on the front inner plastic wheel well liner, at full lock.

Built-in storage: DIY 2 drawer system aka: "The Wine Cellar" used for runs to Bevmo, Costco and converts to a handy camp kitchen and provides a mattress base for off-road expeditions... and one of the reasons the Suburban makes a great expedition vehicle, 137.4 ft³ of cargo space and 8 cup holders... LOL

Communications: iPhone 8 with Gaia GPS windshield mounted, UV5R handheld radios, Cobra HH 38 WX ST Handheld CB Radio and Realistic External Magnet Base Whip Antenna

Accessories: LED battery powered light mounted inside the rear hatch, GoPro mounted on the rearview mirror, Recovery strap, Bon-aire twin piston air pump

Shelter: 6'x8' Awning mounted to 13/16" unistrut, ARB 6'x8' awning tent, DIY 2'x4' folding table doubles as a mattress base over second-row captains chairs, DIY Bamboo Pole Tarp... The poles double as tripods for our lantern, Hammock stand, and were surprisingly useful to create an ad-hoc windbreak during 25+ mph winds on the cliffs near Gooseberry Camp in Canyon Lands NP.

Camping Equipment: Rubbermaid Totelocker stores camp kitchen supplies, Coleman 413H 2 burner stove converted to propane, Coleman propane lantern, Coleman 60qt Extreme ice chest: use 4lb dry ice inside a perforated FedEx box for up to 4 days of slushy water and very cold food, 7-gallon water jug, 12v shower handle, DIY 1/2" copper heat exchanger for heating shower water while cooking

Future Plans:
Aux battery
12v refrigerator... maybe, the cooler works well and we need to remove the cooler or fridge to set up our mattress.
Off-road camping trailer/toy hauler. I haul 2 dual sport motos with a hitch carrier. 520lb on the rear hitch makes steering "light" causing an understeer condition especially noticeable on mountain roads. I'd like to build an oversized teardrop with room for 1 quad or two dirt bikes on the hitch. It would be too long for serious trails but should be fine getting to base camp.

IMG_3312.JPGIMG_3363.JPGIMG_3864.JPG

Attachments

• 574ED9AF-02CC-450D-A37F-FDED280B7556.jpeg
    574ED9AF-02CC-450D-A37F-FDED280B7556.jpeg
    973.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

tbisaacs

Adventurer

bigdogyj

Did you do the build or buy it like that? I know they aren’t cheap! You got an awesome set up!
We had Duraburb do the motor swap for us. I provided all the parts both the Yukon and the donor truck, as well as doing a lot of prep work to save on $$. Duraburb does a great job. They know what they are doing when it comes to getting the motor into these rigs. And everything works (including rear AC/heat, dual fuel tank setup, transfercase shifter). It's been a great rig and have nearly 20k miles on it since the swap. The truck has 209k total (135k on the powertrain).

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Duraburb builds these. They swap the suburban a 3/4 ton duramax chassis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think Duraburb swaps the chassis, they start with a clean 2500 Suburban or Yukon XL and swap in the Duramax motor and 6 speed tranny. I've seen a few for sale around here, typically they go for ~$15k or so.

All the ones I've seen for sale have been GMT800 platforms. I guess they probably could do a GMT900 as well but 2500's are easier to find on the GMT800 platform.

AFAIK GM never made a 2500 Suburban on the current K2XX platform. I read a couple years ago that GM was supposed to be making a very limited number of 3500 Suburbans for sale to special customers. My assumption is that these will be used as the basis for armored limousines, probably sold to government agencies and/or very wealthy customers who need such things.

bigdogyj

Duraburb builds these. They swap the suburban a 3/4 ton duramax chassis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think Duraburb swaps the chassis, they start with a clean 2500 Suburban or Yukon XL and swap in the Duramax motor and 6 speed tranny. I've seen a few for sale around here, typically they go for ~$15k or so.

All the ones I've seen for sale have been GMT800 platforms. I guess they probably could do a GMT900 as well but 2500's are easier to find on the GMT800 platform.

AFAIK GM never made a 2500 Suburban on the current K2XX platform. I read a couple years ago that GM was supposed to be making a very limited number of 3500 Suburbans for sale to special customers. My assumption is that these will be used as the basis for armored limousines, probably sold to government agencies and/or very wealthy customers who need such things.

Correct.
The powertrain from the donor pickup is swapped into the suburban chassis. As well as several interior components (cluster, tcase shifter, and trans shifter if necessary), the fuel return cooler and crossmember to support the Allison. There is some electrical changes that are made by re-pinning some connectors, installing the second battery tray and I’m sure I’m missing some other things. Chassis wise, a lot of components between the suburban and pickups are compatible like the suspension, steering and brakes. It’s not a hard swap but takes time and knowledge around electrical and making sure the computers are happy with each other.
The reason I went with a Eric, first his reputation for a solid product, but also because I’m in California I needed to be sure it was pass emissions requirements and Eric had done several California smog compliant rigs in the past. And it paid off. State of CA issues a BAR engine label which allows it to be smog tested as if it were a 2006 3500 pickup with an LBZ engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bigdogyj

Duraburb has been working mainly on the 900 platform lately. Ours was the last 800 he plans on doing. He has also done some of the newer K2xx platforms but not with the L5P motor. They are using older generation motors. Most of his work right now is for government fleets. He has a YouTube channel which has documented a lot of his work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ClovisMan

Observer
How are those 5.13 gears treating you? I just had 4.88s installed and Im currently on 33 inch tires. I can get to about 70 but no faster. LOL

Think I need to go to 35's.

shrineboy

How are those 5.13 gears treating you? I just had 4.88s installed and Im currently on 33 inch tires. I can get to about 70 but no faster. LOL

Think I need to go to 35's.
Even when it was stock I could only get to about 70. Now, if I really push it I can get to just over 70, mostly run about 60-65. Uphill is where it really “ shines”. Pretty sucky in traffic, but it always was. Up hills, that is.

usanumber1

not quite done. still gotta do the shocks and track bar. been gathering parts for the last year, looks to be paying off.
6.5TD
D60
14BFF
241 swap
all heims
Redhead gears
PSC hydro
ORD 52" kit
ORD steering
ORD shackle flip
Tie rod tapered bolts are from BC Broncos
Other assorted parts from Ballistic Fab, SORD, and Artec.

exactly one year ago high in the sierras:

43699611835_988d9f2d90_k.jpg

2 days ago in the garage:

30737949178_f0f752aac2_k.jpg

43699612215_6ff903129e_k.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier