Looking for new off road camper trailer

jus passin thru

Adventurer
I would bet on plywood, I crawled under mine and there is come sort of rubberized covering, they wouldn’t do that with metal. It’s rubberized black coin inside. A very tough trailer with goodworkmenship. The toung weight is high and the Dometic refer is a piece of crap, get a compressed refer instead, but the trailer is great. I’m not a fan of the roof air either, mine fell off while running the Camino del Diablo, I now cross it with ratchet straps when running rough roads. I probably should replace it with another power vent I never go anywhere you can hook up. Mike

GkraneTX

I would bet on plywood, I crawled under mine and there is come sort of rubberized covering, they wouldn’t do that with metal. It’s rubberized black coin inside. A very tough trailer with goodworkmenship. The toung weight is high and the Dometic refer is a piece of crap, get a compressed refer instead, but the trailer is great. I’m not a fan of the roof air either, mine fell off while running the Camino del Diablo, I now cross it with ratchet straps when running rough roads. I probably should replace it with another power vent I never go anywhere you can hook up. Mike
The whole Air Conditioning unit fell off of the roof of your unit? How rough of a road were you on for it to do that. I plan to use the trailer I purchase on mostly beach surfaces, but it does get very rutted at times.

Clweed

Clweed are the walls and roof of your trailer insulated? Will it fit into the garage?

Yes the walls and roof are insulated, it would fit in the garage without the awning and road shower on top. Both could be mounted on the side of the rack. Top of rack is 78"

IMG_1812.JPG

jus passin thru

Adventurer
I guess fell off is not exactly true, the perimeter rack and the wiring kept it up there otherwise it would have fallen off. The person behind me told me on the radio that my ac was bouncing around after about 20 miles of washboard at good speed without airing the tires down. They are now perm at 25 lbs. pushed it back in place crossed ratchet straps and finished the Camino. I don’t know if the ac wasn’t tight enough from the factory or just bad application. Coleman said bad application and made me buy new bolts which broke and nutcerts which stripped. Intech actually gave me new bolts but the nutcerts are part of the ac unit and not a standard replacement part. I’ve put eyebolts in the rack for easy ratchet strap use. I’ve had the trailer 15 mons and have about 5 min ac use that may be it and I live in Southern AZ. The Camino del Diablo runs along the AZ and MX border and is about 125 mi of washboard , a Little Rock and soft sand a good trip, this was a ROF trip. This a tuff little trailer and I recommend it despite having AC trouble. To buy it again I would pass on the ac and the Dometic refer. Mike

GkraneTX

I just moved to South Texas from Phoenix, AZ about 2.5 years ago. Whole different type of hot down here. The temps with the added high humidity make A/C an absolute must for me.

jus passin thru

Adventurer
You have a point. We spent several years living and traveling in a motor home and have been back east in the Summer. Not sure why anyone lives there. But with my little trailer I’m not going to camp anywhere that has hook-ups. Summer camping in AZ is in the mountains where it is cool or heading to the northwest, heading to MT next month with the ROF. Mike

GkraneTX

I think the markup on all of these US made top of the line off road teardrop style trailers must be astronmical. Moby1 seems ridiculously priced, Blue Ridge BRX1 seems heavily priced as well, Oregon Trailer TerraDrop with no A/C goes down the same path. After doing quite a bit of research some of these use wood framing and sides with an aluminum skin. What makes a Moby1 43K, compared to a BRX1 at 27K? What makes a BRX1 27k compared to a VRV eco flyer fully loaded at 13k. It seems like some of the main differences are on board water and shower, wood galley with dometic fridge/freezer, and timbren axeless suspension. I just done see where the extra 14k to 31k is going? Please tell me if I missed anything.

jus passin thru

Adventurer
What are you planning to do with the trailer, the Rubicon a trip around the world or just the White rim and forest service roads. How big do the tires need to be, are you camping or RVing. These choices make a big difference on how much you need to spend. I have a Intech Flyer Max, it will easily do forest service roads, the White Rim and probably go around the world. I don’t seeing it doing the Rubicon. It has already done more than I planned or expected. It’s 5 x10 with a sleeping area of 5 x8 which is 6.5 to sleep and 1.5 for a porta potty, it has a slide out kitchen with a stove and refer, no water ,ac on the roof with a heavy duty roof rack, 30”” off road tires and spare, double doors in back which would alow you to stuff a ATV inside. For all this fun I paid 12k out the door new last year in AZ. I’ve added a fox wing awaning and a 150 watt solar panel for another 1 k, you could add a rooftop tent for another 2 k and be at 15 k and be ready for adventure. Or I forgot the $29.95 shower tent and a pan of water, gotta to stay clean. Mike

GkraneTX

What are you planning to do with the trailer, the Rubicon a trip around the world or just the White rim and forest service roads. How big do the tires need to be, are you camping or RVing. These choices make a big difference on how much you need to spend. I have a Intech Flyer Max, it will easily do forest service roads, the White Rim and probably go around the world. I don’t seeing it doing the Rubicon. It has already done more than I planned or expected. It’s 5 x10 with a sleeping area of 5 x8 which is 6.5 to sleep and 1.5 for a porta potty, it has a slide out kitchen with a stove and refer, no water ,ac on the roof with a heavy duty roof rack, 30”” off road tires and spare, double doors in back which would alow you to stuff a ATV inside. For all this fun I paid 12k out the door new last year in AZ. I’ve added a fox wing awaning and a 150 watt solar panel for another 1 k, you could add a rooftop tent for another 2 k and be at 15 k and be ready for adventure. Or I forgot the $29.95 shower tent and a pan of water, gotta to stay clean. Mike
I just plan on using it for surf fishing along the Padre Island National Seashore which is about a 60 mile stretch of beach on the gulf of Mexico that you can drive on. I think the VRV Eco would do the job for me if I added a road shower and a batwing awning. The main thing for me is all aluminum structure so it doesnt rot or rust out with the saltwater. VRV seemed to have raised the price on both models by almost 3k in the last year though. I would need the eco version so it could fit in the garage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles