RTT Mounting Challenge

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
I’m trying to get an RTT mounted to the top of my WK. I have a very stout rack from Rocky Road Outfitters. While it has served me well over the past couple of years, it doesn’t seem to be the right rack for an RTT.

At issue, is the cross rails which sit lower than the side rails. Any RTT would need to be spaced up 2 1/2” for the deck to clear the side rails.

I’d rather not have to buy a whole new expensive rack nor put additional cross-rails on top of the side rails.

Has anyone had to space up their RTT for clearance? What did you use?

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lionix1

Pictures? Might be able to rest it on the rack itself.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
Pictures? Might be able to rest it on the rack itself.

I don’t have pics, but the only option is the cross rails which would require 2 1/2” of spacing. Mounting to the side rails wouldn’t be optimal as the cross rails are welded to plates which mount with u bolts to the side rails. This means there will still be need for spacing from a taller place.

I could disassemble the rack at great pain, but the mount would be tall and I’d think not as strong.

Lionix1

How big is the tent? Can you mount it sideways and have the entrance out the back?

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
How big is the tent? Can you mount it sideways and have the entrance out the back?

I don't own the tent yet, but any RTT will be wider than the side rails no matter if the tent flips open or pops up. This is why I was looking for ideas for spacing the base up 2 1/2" so it will clear the side rails.

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
I don’t have pics, but the only option is the cross rails which would require 2 1/2” of spacing. Mounting to the side rails wouldn’t be optimal as the cross rails are welded to plates which mount with u bolts to the side rails. This means there will still be need for spacing from a taller place.

I could disassemble the rack at great pain, but the mount would be tall and I’d think not as strong.

Most RTTs are designed to mount to cross rails with mounting channels on the RTT itself. So sandwiching in a spacer(s) to bring an RTT up to the level of your existing rack's side rails is only going raise up the RTT, not secure it to your rack. You're going to need room to access the mounting hardware anyway, so any spacers you use to raise the tent would probably be in the way of mounting it. Pictures of your existing rack would help get you more accurate advice, but it would seem that the side rails of your existing rack would make attaching a RTT to added cross bars such as Yakima or Thule at best, difficult. I know this is not what you want to hear, but smaller cargo roof racks are not made for RTTs. Even with pics, forum evaluation of a problem is just free advice. Best of luck.

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
Most RTTs are designed to mount to cross rails with mounting channels on the RTT itself. So sandwiching in a spacer(s) to bring an RTT up to the level of your existing rack's side rails is only going raise up the RTT, not secure it to your rack. You're going to need room to access the mounting hardware anyway, so any spacers you use to raise the tent would probably be in the way of mounting it. Pictures of your existing rack would help get you more accurate advice, but it would seem that the side rails of your existing rack would make attaching a RTT to added cross bars such as Yakima or Thule at best, difficult. I know this is not what you want to hear, but smaller cargo roof racks are not made for RTTs. Even with pics, forum evaluation of a problem is just free advice. Best of luck.

I don't need to add cross rails, the rack already has them, unfortunately, they are 2 1/2" lower than the side rails which is why I am looking for ideas. Maybe someone else has done it, and could share. I could paint a mental picture: imagine the rails that your trying to mount your tent to are 2 1/2" lower than the rails that attach to the vehicle, but the tent's base has to clear those taller rails to work.

aaaand..... go....

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Yep. Common in basket style racks. Just put new cross tails on top of the longitudinal rails. I know you said you don’t want to do that, but extending the mounts by cutting pipe spacers or something similar will put a lot of leverage on the 1/4” bolt that ties the tent to the rail... likely no bueno...

I have repeatedly ditched the tent factory rails and bolted tents directly to unistrut spanning the longitudinal rails. Depending on the rail profile, this can be very easy and strong. a little rattle can and you’re in business.

You will want that anyway for ease of opening the tent.

Second thought: can you unbolt and space your cross rails up? or flip the whole thing over so the cross rails are on top?

Porcupine86

Not sure if it helps, but here is a pick of a Tepui mounted to my factory rails. The bars from the tent do stick it up a bit. I'd have to go measure to see exactly how much, but I'd guess you get an inch or so from the tent bars themselves.

Attachments

• 2018-08-08 11.37.21.jpg
    2018-08-08 11.37.21.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 52

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
I ended up cutting super strut and replacing the 2" hardware with 3" hardware to get 'er done

IMG_6705(Edited).jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles