2015 Jeep Patriot overlander build.

autism family travels

Some here may know my rig already. But those who don’t. Here we go. Here is my official build thread for our patriot. Going a lottle (yes that’s a word imo) overboard with the under pinnings. Getting king coil overs with reservoirs for shocks and ride height adjustment as well as some jks bits like their sway bar links with the springs in them front and rear. I already have the tires/wheels combo done. 235/65/17 kumho at 51 p series tires. Lt is not needed in such a light rig.

More things will be going in and on this as time goes on this summer but starting on getting the ride height and quality nailed first. More to come.

autism family travels

A couple of shots of my pat....

20171007_155201984_iOS.jpg

And before the new rollers!

20171003_134632884_iOS.jpg

As you can see, new shoes make the patriot look much more like a mini roader than a pavement roader. More stuff coming up very soon as we get ready for a road trip in august to Nova Scotia!

autism family travels

Need to figure out which rhino rack platform will fit the patriot best. Anyone have any suggestions? I don't want a basket, but a flat platform I can put up there to carry stuff when needed. The Mtn bikes will be connected to the hitch, and hitchgate.

autism family travels

For those interested...Rhino Rack has a stealth bar system that works with their pioneer platform. The platform will sit a mear 35mm above the factory rails and still have LOTS of strength. The other great thing about the Rhino is that I can get bike and boat accessories to mount on the platform. So, I can keep the platform on permanently, mount a 36" single row LED bar under it, and add the accessories as needed. I like this setup ALOT! Also, Adding the wilco hitchgate solo to the rear, and a sylvansport GO activity camper to the rear. I will be modifying the platform a bit to accomidate a fridge and Generator etc while traveling as well.

Darkrider

Adventurer
For those interested...Rhino Rack has a stealth bar system that works with their pioneer platform. The platform will sit a mear 35mm above the factory rails and still have LOTS of strength. The other great thing about the Rhino is that I can get bike and boat accessories to mount on the platform. So, I can keep the platform on permanently, mount a 36" single row LED bar under it, and add the accessories as needed. I like this setup ALOT! Also, Adding the wilco hitchgate solo to the rear, and a sylvansport GO activity camper to the rear. I will be modifying the platform a bit to accomidate a fridge and Generator etc while traveling as well.

Def interested in seeing this set up on your Jeep! Kinda curious about how you are dealing with the wiring for the light up there.

autism family travels

As an installer of lights etc. I learned some tricks. You remove the cap on the front of the roof rack, pop a hole in there, run the wire through a grommet and then in the cap mount a waterproof plug. Seal everything well with urethane. Then when you want to remove the rack or light, you have a release point for the wire. Neat hey?

Darkrider

Adventurer
As an installer of lights etc. I learned some tricks. You remove the cap on the front of the roof rack, pop a hole in there, run the wire through a grommet and then in the cap mount a waterproof plug. Seal everything well with urethane. Then when you want to remove the rack or light, you have a release point for the wire. Neat hey?

I have seen a similar trick applied to the Trailblazer/Envoy platform when i still had my TB it is a pretty clean way of doing it. Was not sure if it could be done on the Patriot but now i know it can be. Sweet. Now i may pull a trick from the TB days and use a small ATV ramp as a rack with crossbars to mount it to the stock rails.

autism family travels

I have been WAY busy with work and life to think about my little pat. But we are getting our sylvansport soon. Then the travels will begin. IT's going into the garage next week to get the computer programmed for the bigger tires. (FINALLY!). That will make the transmission shift at the correct points again and give us back our gas milage.

autism family travels

Well, finally getting the tune done on the tire ratio on Thursday. Learned that my speedo is out by 10km per hour. So when I was driving an indicated 100kmh, I was going 110kmh. Makes a difference on the ole mileage. Once I learned this, driving the pat is much better. More updates coming in soon regarding the rest of the updates on the expo pat.

autism family travels

Well, after doing more investigation, the shocks I was thinking of going with will not work (damn). So, the new plan is to use Rough Country's new 2" lift, some softer Moog springs, and Monroe shocks to control everything. The suspension on the stocker is STIFFFFFFFF. I need to get it up in the air a bit and softened up. Stiff is great on the street but terrible off road.

autism family travels

Well, the re program for the tires did wonders for the little rig. Much less high strung and shift points are correct now. As a result, gas mileage went way up. Now at 9.1L/100km from 12L/100km.

Darkrider

Adventurer
Huh... that is a surprise that RC makes a lift for the Patriot, Nice to have yet another option for a lift. Ironic that the recommended tire size with the kit is the 245/65R17s. Also curious where you got the tune?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles