CUV / Crossover with 4Lo

phsycle

Adventurer
What CUV or crossovers are out there with lo range? Preferably ones in the last 10 years or so. Ones I can think of:

Jeep Renegade/Liberty/(new)Cherokee
Suzuki Grand Vitara

Any others I’m missing?

al_burpe

Observer
I just looked and the new compass trailhawk has a 4lo, so the renegade probably does too. I can't think of any others.

perterra

Adventurer
Not sure the compass is an actual 4 lo. I think it uses automatic transmission trickery to mimick a low range

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
The Grand Vitara isn't a crossover, it's a true SUV just with a unibody instead of a BOF arrangment, kind of like a Grand Cherokee. They also get really poor MPG. On my wife's 06 GV we rarely broke 16mpg. I did better with my '99 4runner.

phsycle

Adventurer
Not sure the compass is an actual 4 lo. I think it uses automatic transmission trickery to mimick a low range

I think you're right: "and a crawl mode that locks the transmission in first gear, giving the Compass a low-range-like 20.4:1 drive ratio. This mode is summoned via the Selec-Terrain knob that governs the all-wheel-drive system, which offers Rock, Snow, Sand, Mud, and Auto modes, in addition to buttons for 4WD Low (the crawl mode),"

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-jeep-compass-trailhawk-tested-review

I believe the compact CUV's from Land Rover also offer Lo range.

tanuki.himself

The Grand Vitara isn't a crossover, it's a true SUV just with a unibody instead of a BOF arrangment, kind of like a Grand Cherokee. They also get really poor MPG. On my wife's 06 GV we rarely broke 16mpg. I did better with my '99 4runner.

what on earth were you doing with it? I get 23 out of my 2009 and I am not light footed. And that's to a US short measure gallon, not a proper imperial one....

perterra

Adventurer

I got 21 or so most times in our 07 V6.

erstwild

I have a 2012 Jeep Patriot Trail Rated with Freedom Drive II. It gives you a "low range equivalent" in the CVT gearing ratios. Really fun little vehicle if you kit it out nicely. I have had it up for sale on the classifieds here for a while, but I have been having too much fun with it this summer.

Last edited:

Drabadum

As I know, only crossover that has a proper low range is Jeep Cherokee KL at some trim levels (Trailhawk for sure, and one another, I don't remember the name). Actually, I was surprised why Jeep does not highlight this extremely rare feature? Then, Jeep Renegade and Compass have a kind of "software feature" to keep the transmission at the low 1st gear, but without the proper "hardware" low range. Another example is Subaru Forester that had the low range with the basic 2.0 petrol engine and manual transmission.
That's all what I know.

Suzuki Grand Vitara, VW Touareg, Jeep KK - they are proper SUV, not crossovers, in my opinion.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Where are you? Austrialian-market Subarus can be had with a 2-speed t-case setup.

Saharafire

The KL cherokee has low range and a locker in the trailhawk version. They are very capable vehicles. My wife had one and it was dead reliable, got pretty decent mpg, and was fun to drive. I actually really miss that vehicle.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Another example is Subaru Forester that had the low range with the basic 2.0 petrol engine and manual transmission.
Important to note the member posting the question is in the United States and our Foresters never got a two speed transfer case. Older Subarus (talking 1980s) imported here did get them and they are available I surmise still in many other markets. Just not here anymore.

Our Forester is 2017 base model and if it did have a low range it would be a highly capable vehicle off road. But no, instead it has Bluetooth!

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
it sucks that it doesn't list where we are under our avatars anymore. creates confusion like this all over the place.
If you hover over the member name it says where you're from, if you have it in your profile. The replying member is in Finland.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles