JK dual swing out rear bumper options?

Whaler

Adventurer
Anyone know of a ready-to-order dual swing-out rear bumper option for the JK? I've seen them on wider vehicles: Tacoma's, LR4's, etc. but can't find anything for the JK, perhaps because of its narrower rear profile.

I did find this picture through a google search but can't source the product:
jeep tire swing out.jpeg

VoodooRanger

Anyone know of a ready-to-order dual swing-out rear bumper option for the JK? I've seen them on wider vehicles: Tacoma's, LR4's, etc. but can't find anything for the JK, perhaps because of its narrower rear profile.

I did find this picture through a google search but can't source the product:
View attachment 462535
That just looks like 2x4 box tubing witha 2x2 as the spare mount. You or a buddy could probably mod a bumper to do this in a weekend.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Superduty

Adventurer
What is advantage of a dual swing out on a narrow vehicle like JK?

I would speculate they go dual on the wider vehicles to distribute the load over two spindles.

The drawback of dual swings in my mind is you have to open two in order too access your tailgate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

jscherb

Expedition Leader
One of the issues with a dial swing-out design is that if two tires are carried on it they are wide enough to obscure both tail lights. Some of the other vehicles for which dual swing-outs are available are wider than the Jeep and often have smaller tires, so everything fits without obscuring the lights.

Whaler

Adventurer
The kaymar bumper is just the ticket. Thanks BradS. If only it was easy to procure in North America...

As for why I'm asking the question, here is the premise: I'd like to mount an aluminum chuck-box on the rear of a JK, such that it could be used without being removed or unmounted, and without overly impeding access to the trunk.

BradS

The kaymar bumper is just the ticket. Thanks BradS. If only it was easy to procure in North America...

As for why I'm asking the question, here is the premise: I'd like to mount an aluminum chuck-box on the rear of a JK, such that it could be used without being removed or unmounted, and without overly impeding access to the trunk.
It was in this forum I saw it. Only a few months ago:
https://www.expeditionportal.com/fo...ge-550-must-buy-this-week-prescott-az.194029/

jscherb

Expedition Leader
If it isn't mandatory for your needs that it be a dual swing-out, with a few simple mods you could make a commercial swing-out hold both a spare and a chuck box. You'd have to choose the right swing-out carrier to modify, but with the right one you could cut off the tire mount and weld if back on further to the passenger side, and then you could add a chuck box mount to the driver's side, something like this concept drawing. Even if you don't have the capability yourself to to the mods, I'm sure you could find a local fab shop that could to it affordably for you. The end result would be less expensive than the $2,553.00 AUS MSRP of the Kaymar product, and would only require a single operation to get at the tailgate rather than having to open both sides.

In the concept drawing below, the image at right is just to show approximate sizing; there is no swing-out carrier in the drawing. If you're running a spare larger than 32", for each additional inch of tire diameter you'd have an inch less available for the chuck box. The image at right shows where the spare mount typically would be on a swing-out (white dashed line) and where you'd re-weld it on after cutting it off. You'd have to pick a commercial swing-out that would lend itself to this idea, not all would be this easy to modify.

ChuckBoxCarrier_zpsefjwzaj6.jpg

HAFICON

Adventurer
Not what you asked, I know.. But I have been in constant with Pronghorn Overland their rear bumper is very close to production. It will be dual swing out one tire and cargo/gas cans Or dual tires. All aluminum light weight. I have their front bumper and it is very nice some true engineering went into it. Also it is all American made.. and for the dual option they are incorporating lights into the bumper because as stated the factory lights are blocked.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I think we just found your next project Jeff!
I've got a list of new Jeep design and construction projects waiting for me when I get back from this trip and this isn't one of them; mostly I was just doing these drawings as idea starters for the O.P. of this thread (and to pass some time for me during a lull in the trip :)).

Whaler

Adventurer
Wow, incredibly comprehensive feedback, jscherb, thank you! I agree that swing-out carriers are a nuisance because they impede access to the tailgate, especially dual-swing. My search for a dual-swing began with the desire for a swing-carrier for the chuck-box that was mounted on the driver's-side. A dual-swing bumper seemed easier to source than a "left-swing" carrier. Here's the rationale behind the left-swing mount: locating the chuck-box swing-carrier on the driver's side will allow access to the "rear" of the chuck-box when the swing arm is open, without any interference from the OEM tailgate when it is open too, which makes cooking out of the trunk easier. I quickly traced jscherb's sketch to indicate how this would work:

JK swing out chuck box idea.jpg

To create room for the chuck-box, I figured I could probably relocate the spare tire rightward on the OEM tailgate with a simple bracket, perhaps mounting it on MORryde heavy-duty tailgate hinges for an easier, more robust attachment. (Did you consult/develop the MORryde hinge, jscherb?) Keeping the spare on the tailgate would eliminate the nuisance of a dual swing set-up and segregating the chuck-box and spare tire onto separate swing mechanisms would also reduce the load on each. A short chuck-box swing-arm would be easy to walk-around and handle, and it would also keep the chuck-box close to the kitchen "cockpit" behind the trunk.

However, there is an issue with relocating the tire on the OEM tailgate because I think it creates a pinch point and limits how far the tailgate will open. See below:
JK swing out chuck box idea, pinch point.jpg

This approach would likely limit the tailgate opening to 90 degrees or so. A traditional right-swing after market carrier likely moves the pivot point further rightward and might eliminate this conflict by giving the swing-arm greater "throw," but at the cost of the nuisance from a dual-swing.

HAFICON, I like Pronghorn's design ideas and will eagerly look for their rear-bumper release. Thank you for letting me know they have a dual-swing mount in the works, that may solve my problem. Pronghorn is certainly pricey but it'd be hard to imagine more-so than Kaymar.

Couple other musings on this subject:
  • Yes, I could custom design something but I would prefer a commercially available product because it would require less fabrication and might also specify a weight-limit rating that would give me peace of mind
  • For the chuck-box: I'm looking for something that opens on the side, but can still keep out water and dust. I'd like to be able to leave it on a vehicle on a semi-permanent, seasonal basis. This zarges case has an ingress protection rating of 65 and opens on both sides: https://www.zargescases.com/products/cases/rackmount/mitraset-racklite-basic/ but it probably costs as much as a YJ.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
To create room for the chuck-box, I figured I could probably relocate the spare tire rightward on the OEM tailgate with a simple bracket, perhaps mounting it on MORryde heavy-duty tailgate hinges for an easier, more robust attachment. (Did you consult/develop the MORryde hinge, jscherb?) Keeping the spare on the tailgate would eliminate the nuisance of a dual swing set-up and segregating the chuck-box and spare tire onto separate swing mechanisms would also reduce the load on each. A short chuck-box swing-arm would be easy to walk-around and handle, and it would also keep the chuck-box close to the kitchen "cockpit" behind the trunk.

However, there is an issue with relocating the tire on the OEM tailgate because I think it creates a pinch point and limits how far the tailgate will open. See below:
View attachment 463356

This approach would likely limit the tailgate opening to 90 degrees or so. A traditional right-swing after market carrier likely moves the pivot point further rightward and might eliminate this conflict by giving the swing-arm greater "throw," but at the cost of the nuisance from a dual-swing.

Yes, I designed the HD tailgate hinges, tailgate reinforcement and HD spare carrier that MORryde now manufactures and sells (no I am not a MORryde employee, I design this stuff as a hobby).

The MORryde tailgate reinforcement comes with an optional 90-degree stop for the tailgate hinges. Using it, and with the stock spare, you can fit a jerry can to the right of the spare without hitting the tail light (the photo at right below doesn't show that the jerry can isn't contacting the tail light).

The jerry can is about 8" thick. With a little modification, it would be possible to mount the factory spare carrier(or the MORryde HD spare carrier) 8" to the right and the spare would clear the tail light when the gate was open; that would give you 8" more on the drivers side for the chuck box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles