New 2018 Colorado ZR2 - Icedragonmx's Trip Reports

icedragonmx

Adventurer
Just got my new 2018 Colorado ZR2 and had to share! I am new to the midsize forum but have been traveling in the 4x4 areas for quite a while. Last vehicle was a Xterra Pro4x and the plans for this new one include a Vagabond Drifter for a camping set up and I will mount my Keewaydin 15 Packboat on top. Hopefully with 200 watts of solar on top too and a house battery etc. for the back area. An Alu-Cab - 270 Shadow Awning may be installed but will check first if there is room for a Bundutec too! I am trying to keep the height under 7’ to allow access to the garage but may need to modify the garage a bit to allow for an extra 3”. The MaxTrax x4 will be side mounted on the camper.

Just a few pictures from the test drive to see how the lockers work at a local sand hill. I really like the green on this!

uP9sznC.jpg

Lots of suspension on the factory set up!

fLDIEsp.jpg

fG7WC7X.jpg

Heard that the spare will drag on everything!

YCkbv8I.jpg

Some of the suspension magic! I have skid plates for the shocks from 589Fabication, just need to clean and paint them and then mount them up!

Fqm7l9F.jpg

And the joys from having two extra feet of length, bumper drag :(

jtTWh07.jpg

Going to be fun to see how this performs on the rocks etc as most of my travels will include this. Here is the old thread from the Xterra Pro4x days - https://www.expeditionportal.com/fo...terra-owner-icedragonmxs-trip-reports.132219/ This will show some of the areas I play in. Might have to make a run to Cali and Moab if the Drifter can’t be delivered but will wait to see first!

I will update here with stories and pictures as it happens and will add a few comments along the way. And ****** is with the tiny drink holders and side door pockets? Lol

Last edited:

blackdmax15

Observer
Really nice truck. I really wanted one but with our camping kit and 3growing children had to “settle” for the Ram haha. Looking forward to the build.

lchavez

Observer
Also came from an Xterra pro 4x. Been watching the ZR2 for a couple of years now and picked the diesel up in May.

Also adding a Turtleback trailer this year so most of my gear is moving to the trailer for use between vehicles.

Other than the dealer REV cover and tool box, I am keeping the ZR2 stock. Haven’t seen many reviews on this cover, but it looks like a perfect fit/function for this truck.

I really appreciate all of the storage space the xterra has compared to this truck. I am still trying to figure out how to make the back seats useful. Seats may need to come out all together to have any real function back there.

I would have really liked a diesel ZR2 with extended cab and long bed.

Overall I have been very pleased. Chevy really did this one right (other than useful storage)

chunko

Observer
Congrats on the new truck! Where’s the snorkel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh too soon- lol

But seriously, I really liked the OP's previous thread since it didn't focus heavily on the vehicle but a lot on his adventures and that the modifications were based on real needs and not based on what is the cool thing to have. I'm sure the lessons from X's last adventure will help dictate the mods on the ZR2, though.

trae

Adventurer
Seems like a lot of flooded road crossings in icedragonmx future. Snorkel wouldn’t have helped with that last one...

icedragonmx

Adventurer
Really nice truck. I really wanted one but with our camping kit and 3growing children had to “settle” for the Ram haha. Looking forward to the build.

That would be a much roomier choice than the little midsize cab! I hope to have a few great stories soon.

Really like these trucks, look forward to the build!

Thanks, wont be long before more posts ;)

Also came from an Xterra pro 4x. Been watching the ZR2 for a couple of years now and picked the diesel up in May.

Also adding a Turtleback trailer this year so most of my gear is moving to the trailer for use between vehicles.

Other than the dealer REV cover and tool box, I am keeping the ZR2 stock. Haven’t seen many reviews on this cover, but it looks like a perfect fit/function for this truck.

I really appreciate all of the storage space the xterra has compared to this truck. I am still trying to figure out how to make the back seats useful. Seats may need to come out all together to have any real function back there.

I would have really liked a diesel ZR2 with extended cab and long bed.

Overall I have been very pleased. Chevy really did this one right (other than useful storage)

Congrats on the diesel! :) I am already gearing up to remove the rear leather seats and will also remove the light bar and lights when the dealer finally is able to install them (Dealer didn't have the right lights to go with the bar even though it was a factory package?). Going to try use that wiring system for the interior of the camper. Might be listing lots of new parts soon, Lol. I will be checking out your threads to see how the trucks been doing as I am new to the midsize market. The Xterra Pro4x was a great SUV but there is a few advantages with this one right from the start with the dual lockers and suspension. When I get the Drifter it will be a definite step up from my conversion in the X.

Congrats on the new truck! Where’s the snorkel?

Too funny! I have it on the to buy list. Just waiting on shipping cost for the Vegabond Drifter prior to spending money on the rest of the wish list. The camper is a must do item while the reminder can wait a bit for the funds to recover if needed.

Oh too soon- lol

But seriously, I really liked the OP's previous thread since it didn't focus heavily on the vehicle but a lot on his adventures and that the modifications were based on real needs and not based on what is the cool thing to have. I'm sure the lessons from X's last adventure will help dictate the mods on the ZR2, though.

Thanks, I try to gear things to work for what I need, but I do like a good looking Truck too. Getting comments about the green from everyone at work and they really like it and the truck stance. Going to be tough to waterproof all the electronics if I am going to learn from my last "adventure". Going to make more use of all my Pelican cases for the random gear that can't swim as my 20V Dewalt stuff did not like going for a dive! Next time I leave the truck on the shoreline and paddle to the northern reaches!

Last edited:

icedragonmx

Adventurer
Well the rear seats are out and it gives me a huge amount of space! :) Also installed screen in the rear windows similar to the old Xterra. Just need to figure out what to do with all the space now, Lol. Also installing the skid plates this weekend as the paint is drying as I type...

AoJf1Ij.jpg

CiWkz7J.jpg

Anyone want to buy brand new rear leather seats near the Winnipeg area? Lol

4x4x4doors

Explorer
Nice. Will be watching closely as I just picked up my Z71 on Wednesday.
Just out of curiosity, when you pulled the rear seats could you tell if it would have worked to just pull the storage surround (whatever its called) from under the seat and fold up the seat bottoms? Or is that piece part of the support for the seat? Is the 60/40 rear seat such that you could have removed only one side instead of the whole thing?

I also like the green that shows up as different colors depending on lighting. Enjoy!

icedragonmx

Adventurer
Nice. Will be watching closely as I just picked up my Z71 on Wednesday.
Just out of curiosity, when you pulled the rear seats could you tell if it would have worked to just pull the storage surround (whatever its called) from under the seat and fold up the seat bottoms? Or is that piece part of the support for the seat? Is the 60/40 rear seat such that you could have removed only one side instead of the whole thing?

I also like the green that shows up as different colors depending on lighting. Enjoy!

Thanks, going to be a fun ride!

I don't think it would be possible to split the seating as the plastic molding and sub-frame for the seat are as one for the whole width...

dlvCKHi.jpg

sWa2Qns.jpg

icedragonmx

Adventurer
So had some help with removing the seatbelts and extras from the back of the truck and installing the shock skid plates and iPad mount and also have a new dash mount for the camera. Just need to cover the bolts along the back floor area and I am ready! Did take it out for a day tour to test some of the systems too. A great day in total.

589FAB shock skid plates...
IXqWwoQ.jpg

Some of the interior carnage as the installs were happening...

TZxUeW3.jpg

IVqcDaU.jpg

And after all that it was off to the dirt trails to try out the truck a bit more before the hardcore trips start...

cNLNoTi.jpg

QyNONKa.jpg

fP4HUJ1.jpg

wfpifQ3.jpg

6QCN6cb.jpg

Last edited:

icedragonmx

Adventurer
Did run to the sand hills too and tried for compression braking and dual locker fun. A bit of flex in the back end too. Lots of chatter from the rear axle hopping in deep sand hill climbs :(. Tires were digging hard core (not aired out).

Rh6yuJU.jpg

qKwpSR9.jpg

iEmornK.jpg

That little feature is going to get me in trouble as we keep trying for bigger numbers for side slope and descent

goKCPyF.jpg

OsvAbrt.jpg

BE98OAT.jpg

And trying to get some flex..

gVA73td.jpg

sNj9Vbf.jpg

And a revisit to an old playground after on the way back.

Jqx9THc.jpg

Now I have the skid plates in and the mounts done for both the dash camera and iPad navigation system I am ready for a real trip. Going to be fun!!! :) Still waiting on shipping cost for the Vagabond Drifter, I was hoping to get that on order before the season ended but may be a next year plan by the time they get that sorted out now as its looks to be a 3 month backlog on orders...

Last edited:

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Did you notice an increase in road noise when you removed the backseat? I was amazed at how much louder my old Tacoma was when it did it.

icedragonmx

Adventurer
Did you notice an increase in road noise when you removed the backseat? I was amazed at how much louder my old Tacoma was when it did it.

No extra noise but I do have an inch of insulation under the floor carpet and the same on the back wall. It is a well insulated vehicle :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles