Stoked about the new Gofast camper

Clutch

<---Pass
I sold a flippac for my GFc I know all about space hence my house comment. I still value how my truck handles and don’t need something that big plus the flippac much like a wilderness was made like a piece of ****, leaks, the tent sucks, tons of other issues. I’ll gladly take something light and we’ll made with less space than all that, if you need more living space get an AT or Vagabond but if you don’t get a GFc.

Yeah I am looking to retire the Wildernest for the reasons you mention. Weren't many options out there until now.

AT Summit is at the top of the list for me. GFC looks good, but don't think it will work for me, since I want the option to cook inside without having rearrange things. Want closer to a true camper than just a (roof top) tent.

I ride dirt bikes so no need to go fast in the truck, get all the speed needs from the bike, just need a gear hauler and a base camp.

It is great to have so many options now. Some guys want to go ripping across the desert others want to putz around on back mountain roads.

Runt

Adventurer
I think if GFC offered a longer cab over design they would take the majority of the market share on the wedge campers. They have great features (rack, transform a floor, doors etc.) nice finishes (color options) and a very robust design. Plus dosent Hondo Garage have some sort of involvement?

I think if they followed the FlipPac design (no bigger footprint, but vastly larger when open) I'd be very interested in a "quality" version of the FlipPac... yeah, I know: "Habitat"!.. but $9,000+ is too much... and I like the FlipPac's forward folding design - I don't have to worry about any extra space when I park.

Clutch

<---Pass
I think if they followed the FlipPac design (no bigger footprint, but vastly larger when open) I'd be very interested in a "quality" version of the FlipPac... yeah, I know: "Habitat"!.. but $9,000+ is too much... and I like the FlipPac's forward folding design - I don't have to worry about any extra space when I park.

Didn't like the rear flipping of the AT Habitat either, since I tow a trailer, either have to jackknife or unhook it. Not that big of a deal, but rolling in to camp in the wee hours of the morning having to set things up so I can crash and go to sleep...not something I want to mess with. Nit-picky but at $9-10K think you can be.
I think if GFC offered a longer cab over design they would take the majority of the market share on the wedge campers. They have great features (rack, transform a floor, doors etc.) nice finishes (color options) and a very robust design. Plus dosent Hondo Garage have some sort of involvement?

The design and finishes look bomber to me...it is the lack interior space will keep me from getting one. This past weekend made that point even more apparent, Sunday evening thundershowers with torrential down pours started at 5:00 pm and didn't let up until 1-2:00 am. Being able to cook up a hot meal after doing trail clearing all day was a real bonus. Damn glad I didn't have to do it outside under an awning as the rain was blowing sideways.

Here it comes! It rained pretty damn hard, my Wildernest sounded like I was inside a pot while cooking popcorn.

35728609_10156506425254630_7551694314833707008_n.jpg

Last edited:

inv3ctiv3

Adventurer
Didn't like the rear flipping of the AT Habitat either, since I tow a trailer, either have to jackknife or unhook it. Not that big of a deal, but rolling in to camp in the wee hours of the morning having to set things up so I can crash and go to sleep...not something I want to mess with. Nit-picky but at $9-10K think you can be.

The design and finishes look bomber to me...it is the lack interior space will keep me from getting one. This past weekend made that point even more apparent, Sunday evening thundershowers with torrential down pours started at 5:00 pm and didn't let up until 1-2:00 am. Being able to cook up a hot meal after doing trail clearing all day was a real bonus. Damn glad I didn't have to do it outside under an awning as the rain was blowing sideways.

Here it comes! It rained pretty damn hard, my Wildernest sounded like I was inside a pot while cooking popcorn.

35728609_10156506425254630_7551694314833707008_n.jpg

You do realize the entire bed area opens up and you have a shelf so you can cook and work in a GFC, I do it all the time same as I did in my flippac except my GFC is actually weather proof and doesn't have a giant rainfly that gets soaked.

Clutch

<---Pass
You do realize the entire bed area opens up and you have a shelf so you can cook and work in a GFC, I do it all the time same as I did in my flippac except my GFC is actually weather proof and doesn't have a giant rainfly that gets soaked.

Guess you’re not understanding what I am saying. Want to be able to cook while the bed is deployed. Someone can hang out in it or even have some gear there too. My moto gear bag is fairly big, I usually toss that on the bed when I am changing into the MX clown suit. And still have plenty of room to cook...even in a 6’ Tacoma bed.

Don’t want an either or situation. No desire to cook with a JetBoil while in bed either. Did that enough in my ground tent days.

Last edited:

inv3ctiv3

Adventurer
Guess you’re not understanding what I am saying. Want to be able to cook while the bed is deployed. Someone can hang out in it or even have some gear there too. My moto gear bag is fairly big, I usually toss that on the bed when I am changing into the MX clown suit. And still have plenty of room to cook...even in a 6’ Tacoma bed.

Don’t want an either or situation. No desire to cook with a JetBoil while in bed either. Did that enough in my ground tent days.

Sounds like a habitat or flippac is in your future then not a wedge.

Clutch

<---Pass
Sounds like a habitat or flippac is in your future then not a wedge.
AT Summit on full-size truck is pretty close to replace what I have, that or get a new tent sewn up for my Wildernest.

Though I recently went riding with a friend of mine who converted a 7X14 cargo trailer into a poor man’s toy hauler. Thing is like a mansion compared to these pop up style truck campers. Really don’t get much square footage for the money if you think about it. Brand new 7X14 is $5500. Another grand or so to build it out.

Can’t off-road it but that is what the dirt bike is for. Really only use the truck for hauling toys to the trailhead. Though we camped in a somewhat out of the way place. He had no problem getting it in there.

He used to have the almost exact setup I have now. 1st Gen Taco, camper shell, and an open utility trailer for the dirt bike. He was envious of my Nest. Then he upgraded to a 5.0 F150 and that trailer...now I am the one a little envious. ?

Last edited:

Whaler

Adventurer
Security Question: It's apparent in the walk-around video that the side panels lock, but I don't see how the pop-top locks. Does the pop-top lock too?

Crazy Schooner

Fortune's A Mistress
So how are people handling bugs with their setups? Tailgate down, upper door up to get in or out (or just upper door up and crawling over the TG). I can see mosquito's being a nuisance anytime the whole setup is opened.

crazysccrmd

Observer
So how are people handling bugs with their setups? Tailgate down, upper door up to get in or out (or just upper door up and crawling over the TG). I can see mosquito's being a nuisance anytime the whole setup is opened.

I live in Alaska and the mosquitos here are as bad as people say. I usually leave the upper portion closed until I want to climb in to sleep or leave the entire bed in place to keep bugs from getting up there. However, I experimented with putting my Thermacell in the truck bed with the tent popped up and had no mosquitos in there at all. It is very effective in a smaller space.

A guy on Tacoma World put together a bug net for the sides that I will be copying. https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/gfc-camper-modifications.556552/#post-18167070

Brost

AT Summit on full-size truck is pretty close to replace what I have, that or get a new tent sewn up for my Wildernest.

Though I recently went riding with a friend of mine who converted a 7X14 cargo trailer into a poor man’s toy hauler. Thing is like a mansion compared to these pop up style truck campers. Really don’t get much square footage for the money if you think about it. Brand new 7X14 is $5500. Another grand or so to build it out.

Can’t off-road it but that is what the dirt bike is for. Really only use the truck for hauling toys to the trailhead. Though we camped in a somewhat out of the way place. He had no problem getting it in there.

He used to have the almost exact setup I have now. 1st Gen Taco, camper shell, and an open utility trailer for the dirt bike. He was envious of my Nest. Then he upgraded to a 5.0 F150 and that trailer...now I am the one a little envious. ?

Did you ever end up buying anything? Another option is the Vagabond unit although only for Tacoma and you need a full size? I like it also with the larger overhang so no need to remove panels to get in and out.

Clutch

<---Pass
Did you ever end up buying anything? Another option is the Vagabond unit although only for Tacoma and you need a full size? I like it also with the larger overhang so no need to remove panels to get in and out.

Still rocking the Nest. Which have about 40 days of camping in this year so far. Love it and all, but don't think I will buy another camper mounted to the truck...and will go with a trailer instead. Seems like as soon as you get everything setup...need to run somewhere. With a trailer you can setup base camp and leave it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles