Clutch’s deep thoughts thread...

bkg

Explorer
$6K, already has a Hi-Rise topper...toss a cot in there and call it done.

https://boise.craigslist.org/ctd/d/2000-gmc-sierra-4x4-longbed/6602971172.html

00h0h_c3s2tGniaJp_600x450.jpg

Had a contractor doing some work over here who traded large diesels for a no frills, only am/fm Chevy short box w/ a 4.3... guesstimate a 2013. Inexpensive topper and BedSlide is all it got. I actually really like that truck.

XJLI

Adventurer
$6K, already has a Hi-Rise topper...toss a cot in there and call it done.

https://boise.craigslist.org/ctd/d/2000-gmc-sierra-4x4-longbed/6602971172.html
Nothing says I am over 65 more than that truck lol

Yeaaaaaup. I'm less than half that age, and that truck is pretty much my truck. That one has the sweet floor mounted shifter tho!

I do need to get rid of the worn out side molding and put on some mudflaps... It's everything you need, nothing you don't in a boring ass, "gets it done" package. Like your Tacoma, just a little bigger. But first gen Tacos are anything but boring; I fantasized about them when I was a kid.

Had a contractor doing some work over here who traded large diesels for a no frills, only am/fm Chevy short box w/ a 4.3... guesstimate a 2013. Inexpensive topper and BedSlide is all it got. I actually really like that truck.

I bought my truck I posted above from my father in law, who traded his 2004? regular cab, 2wd, 4.6 V6 long bed Chevy with the high rise cap for it when he needed 4wd and a V8 to launch a bigger boat. He has a 2017 loaded Chevy now, and his favorite truck is still that 2wd chevy. The new V6s are crazy... 25-26 MPG and 295 HP! Thats the same power but almost a LOT better mileage than my 5.3.

Last edited:

OutOfBounds

Adventurer
$20K budget?

- Keep my current truck; 2005 Tundra double cab.

- install better shocks, give it a full tune up (doesn't need one, but why not?)

- Put the remainder towards a Four Wheel Camper

The biggest reason we don't get out much is that sleep in a backpacking tent (MSR Elxir 3) sucks after more than 2 nights or if the weather turns bad and we have to hole up. The FWC would alleviate that and get us out much more.

Clutch

<---Pass
Yeaaaaaup. I'm less than half that age, and that truck is pretty much my truck. That one has the sweet floor mounted shifter tho!

I do need to get rid of the worn out side molding and put on some mudflaps... It's everything you need, nothing you don't in a boring ass, "gets it done" package. Like your Tacoma, just a little bigger. But first gen Tacos are anything but boring; I fantasized about them when I was a kid.

I bought my truck I posted above from my father in law, who traded his 2004? regular cab, 2wd, 4.6 V6 long bed Chevy with the high rise cap for it when he needed 4wd and a V8 to launch a bigger boat. He has a 2017 loaded Chevy now, and his favorite truck is still that 2wd chevy. The new V6s are crazy... 25-26 MPG and 295 HP! Thats the same power but almost a LOT better mileage than my 5.3.

Nice Cateye Chevy! Have a thing for those for some reason.

Taco is boring in, never really breaks...really only started giving me trouble when it got over 250K. So-so power...so-so gas mileage..so-so hauling and towing capabilities. Yeah they are kinda boring. However when I was zipping up the Forest Service roads the other night...the closer I got the lookout tower, the road got narrower and narrow...pinstriping both sides....got a little rutted...and it walked through it like it was nothing, at a fairly quick clip. That is when all the boring stuff goes away...and I think to myself...this is where this truck really shines. Was on a UTV wide road there for bit with massive waterbars, big enough to drag the front bumper up...handled it with ease.

You're only 46! Damn you cheap like at least 55 cheap! Hahaha! I'm almost 57 and I wasn't this cheap at 46. You must be mature for your age!

Ha ha!

...oh there is a reason for that. (Responsible yes...mature...I dunno about that. ;) ) My dad had MS, was in a wheelchair by the time I was 4 or so. I have no recollection of him ever walking. So I had to take on some adult duties earlier than most. Was driving by the time I was 10, because I had to. Never forget the first time driving either. We were loading firewood on the lower part of the property, well...more like I was loading and he was supervising, and my dad says to me "Now boy, take the wood up to the house"...but...but...dad I don't now how..."just get in the truck and do it, don't give me any lip!' I was scared chitless...but I did it!

So that and growing up in family construction business (swimming pools and wood burning stoves, among other things), was running my own crew by 20. And now I have been running my own business for 17 years or so??? No longer construction...but still run a tight ship. When you see money coming in and going out...makes one a tightwad. Came close to loosing everything during the last crash...makes one even tighter.

Reading somewhere that 86% of all vehicles sold are financed....that isn't good.

Last edited:

bkg

Explorer
Two things happened today. I think (hope) I found the cause of my random p0420 that seems to pop up in slower traffic - bolts between rear cat and muffler tube were loose. Noticed when water dropped out while under the rig. Cleaned and resealed.

Aaaand.. I found an 02 4Runner that I am desperately trying to talk myself out of buyin/building. I need another truck like a hike in the head... but tre price looks right, and most importantly, the color is right. Lol

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
$20K budget?

- Keep my current truck; 2005 Tundra double cab.

- install better shocks, give it a full tune up (doesn't need one, but why not?)

- Put the remainder towards a Four Wheel Camper

The biggest reason we don't get out much is that sleep in a backpacking tent (MSR Elxir 3) sucks after more than 2 nights or if the weather turns bad and we have to hole up. The FWC would alleviate that and get us out much more.
I'd like a FWC for the same reason you listed. Problem is if I'm honest with myself I would only use it 4 times a year, just not enough to justify 20k IMO.

Clutch

<---Pass
I'd like a FWC for the same reason you listed. Problem is if I'm honest with myself I would only use it 4 times a year, just not enough to justify 20k IMO.
I’d use it, have been out 17 nights so far this year...still don’t know if those things are worth $20K. Don’t get much square footage for the dollar.

Got to hang out with my buddy this weekend in his $2000 dollar popup trailer and his $6700 V8 4Runner...under $10K. Popup was spacious, packs up small for towing. Kinda nice to have the vehicle separate to run to town.

They are on the road for 2 more months....

Clutch

<---Pass
Bkg said:
Aaaand.. I found an 02 4Runner that I am desperately trying to talk myself out of buyin/building. I need another truck like a hike in the head... but tre price looks right, and most importantly, the color is right. Lol

Yeah I almost drag home project vehicles from time to time...”oooh, I need that!....no, no I don’t...”

Digging my buddy’s “new” V8 4Runner...May look for one of those when my Trooper’s tranny finally fails, instead of fixing it...just get a 4Runner. Trooper isn’t 4WD...no reason to toss money at it. That and they are worthless resale-wide. Think the trans is $3500-4000 depending who you talk to.

bkg

Explorer
Yeah I almost drag home project vehicles from time to time...”oooh, I need that!....no, no I don’t...”

Digging my buddy’s “new” V8 4Runner...May look for one of those when my Trooper’s tranny finally fails, instead of fixing it...just get a 4Runner. Trooper isn’t 4WD...no reason to toss money at it. That and they are worthless resale-wide. Think the trans is $3500-4000 depending who you talk to.

fortunately... or unfortunately, depending on perspective... the 4runner sold before I could look at it. For me, the intriguing part was that it was a White SR5 with a true-gray interior... 90% seem to be Oak... and the rest are the Blue-gray. Not sure why, but it seems the trucks destined for southern states had the blue-gray interior... which I hate.

Clutch

<---Pass
fortunately... or unfortunately, depending on perspective... the 4runner sold before I could look at it. For me, the intriguing part was that it was a White SR5 with a true-gray interior... 90% seem to be Oak... and the rest are the Blue-gray. Not sure why, but it seems the trucks destined for southern states had the blue-gray interior... which I hate.
Bummer...I happen to like the blue-gray over the oak...the oak seems too bright for my eyes for some reason. Think that is from living in AZ for 20 years...what a dark hole to drive around in.

bkg

Explorer
Bummer...I happen to like the blue-gray over the oak...the oak seems too bright for my eyes for some reason. Think that is from living in AZ for 20 years...what a dark hole to drive around in.

Hate blue gray. Don’t know why. And I’m not sure why they have that color and the. The actual gray. Finding white with the actual gray was a fluke.

Clutch

<---Pass
Hate blue gray. Don’t know why. And I’m not sure why they have that color and the. The actual gray. Finding white with the actual gray was a fluke.
Ha ha! Same here on the Oak. My ‘92 was blue I liked that...can’t remember where maybe the upper trim Fords you can get blue leather.

Though if I ever did 60-70’s F250 Crew...would have to be midnight blue paint and oxblood seats. This color on Mustang buckets fronts and a bench rear.

1.jpg

bkg

Explorer
Ha ha! Same here on the Oak. My ‘92 was blue I liked that...can’t remember where maybe the upper trim Fords you can get blue leather.

Though if I ever did 60-70’s F250 Crew...would have to be midnight blue paint and oxblood seats. This color on Mustang buckets fronts and a bench rear.

1.jpg

Now yer just being weird. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles