4D34 3AT3B Motor

gait

Explorer
anyone know where there's a 4D34 3AT3B 3.9 litre turbo engine for 2004 FG649E available in good condition, preferably east coast Aus, but anywhere in Aus, that can be shipped to Kimberley. So far I have a few leads among "usual suppliers" in Sydney and Brisbane, and a medium mileage engine in Perth.

gait

Explorer
thanks,

surprisingly (to me) there are used and recon motors available,

I thoroughly cooked the engine (thought it was a fuel problem 20km after fill and even forgot about how the temperature gauge fails when water is lost - catastrophic hose failure).

Engine starts but boils within 5km. Radiator pressurised within a few seconds of starting (when I drive it now I leave the cap half open). Thermostat tests ok, I removed it anyway.

Thought I'd try head gasket replacement at roadside but exhaust side rusted and had been worked on before I purchased (surprise ....!). Rather than break studs, etc, I decided to keep vehicle mobile - I drove it onto back of road train to get to Derby.

Discussion with a Derby heavy equipment fitter decided replace engine rather than opening old one up as probably shortened life of old one. Long engine would re-use my fuel pump etc which would need recon - which would be ship to Perth, etc, etc.

Replacing engine also helps accommodation. We only loose "our house" for a couple of days. There's a trade-off between accommodation cost and repair cost ... replace engine is more predictable cost than "let's take it apart and have a look".

I now have a used / tested engine with 125,000 km on its way from Sydney. It will take at least a week to get here .... more than 5,500km. From a 2wd so have to swap sumps ..... does anyone know if it has a sump gasket or uses goo like toyota?

I'll replace radiator hoses, possibly radiator, and clutch while engine out. Any other thoughts?

It could have been worse ..... although Gibb River Road is marketed as an adventure it looks like a (corrugated) "highway" to us. There's at least three companies offering vehicle recovery services. A couple of days later we would have been somewhere on the Munja Track!

trackadda

Observer
you need to add a engine watch dog when you can. reads engine head temperature rather than coolant temp, has an alarm as well

Bris31

Adventurer
Sad to hear you would now need an engine not the gasket as we met (by chance) on the Gibb. Hope you will be back on road soon now.
Yep Gibb is heavily corrugated but still looks highway compare to Mitchell Falls road and Bungle Bungle track.

gait

Explorer
ta,
maybe another couple of weeks by the time engine arrives and is fitted.

minor plus is we have tv for the first time since April and there's world cup, wimbledon, and tour de france starts Sunday. If only the transmitter would provide a signal all the time ........

Spanna 53

We spent ten days in Derby last week the wife had an infected foot not a lot of joy with the TV reception a long walk from the caravan park to Wollies and the wharf good luck with the change over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94