jeep jk unlimited camper project

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
In my opinion, it surprisingly drives/handles better with the camper on. You don't even realize it's there until at speeds over 60. It handles well over 60, but the engine starts to feel some of the drag from the cab-over. When I had a TJ, I had a hood wind visor and was able to direct/deflect the wind over the roof rack. Since I had positive results with that, I'm going to order one for this Jeep to see if it helps.

Good stuff. It sits pretty low overall, and that helps. I bet a wind deflector will make a difference.

TKWSN

Stunning work! Subscribed to post, awaiting updates.

Where did you get your panels? I looked in the thread, but did not see a source listed. Also if you have time how did you join the panels? It looks very professional.

Thanks

Amit

FINALLY... Got back to working on the new camper. Did alot of research on various construction methods and ending up going with fiberglass honeycomb composite panels. I've got about 75% complete. Having trouble uploding pics due 3rd party hosting issues - anybody have any advice?
This is fantastic!! exactly what I came here for!! quick question, where did you get the " fiberglass honeycomb" might be a nube question, but and advise will be appreciated!! Thanks!

bamajeep

Adventurer
This is fantastic!! exactly what I came here for!! quick question, where did you get the " fiberglass honeycomb" might be a nube question, but and advise will be appreciated!! Thanks!
The panels came from a company called Carbon Core. My only complaint with the panels is that they came with a lot of imprefections in the gel coat which required extensive finish work to get everything smoothed out. I joined the panels together using West System Six 10 and West System epoxy resin and fiberglass.

TKWSN

The panels came from a company called Carbon Core. My only complaint with the panels is that they came with a lot of imprefections in the gel coat which required extensive finish work to get everything smoothed out. I joined the panels together using West System Six 10 and West System epoxy resin and fiberglass.

Thx for the reply bama. Looking back, even with the gelcoat issues, would you use them again? If I do not buy panels, I am thinking of framing/rigid foam and fiberglass over it. Did you consider a DIY after the wood camper or go right for the panels?

Thanks for the inspiration!

Last edited:

David.D

Trying to decide the best way to carry my mountain bike - any suggestions?

iSi Carriers (Australia) http://www.isi-carriers.com/
They make a bike rack designed around off roading. I have one and love it. I don't think it would come up high enough to clear the back of your camper, but if you have any welding skills (or friends with them) it's a simple enough design that you could make your own along the same idea. Essentially a platform bike rack that comes up at an angle from the rear hitch. If you're only running one bike you might be able to fit their rack and just remove the front tire rests (2 bike holder)

borison

Adventurer
Wow! This looks amazing. I remember seeing the early pictures of your build, you’ve come a long way. And you got a “very impressive” from jsherb. Probably the best compliment you could get.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles