Clutch’s deep thoughts thread...

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Did Hell just freeze over?

You could probably make a profit on yours.

Client of mine recently traded in her Tacoma on a F150 with an Ecoboost, same gas mileage and a hell of a lot more fun to drive. Pulls her camper like it isn’t even back there.
Hard to say, the transmission grinds and howls so it's pretty obviously toast. But there ain't gonna be no trading in anything, I'm done with anything newer than about 1995. I'm pretty tapped financially so I'll probably figure out if it's possible to swap in an R155 for the RA60 or just find a junkyard one, throw in some bearings, sleeve the snout and rebuild mine for a spare. Just rotate it, new tires & a transmission every 50k.

Clutch

<---Pass
Hard to say, the transmission grinds and howls so it's pretty obviously toast. But there ain't gonna be no trading in anything, I'm done with anything newer than about 1995. I'm pretty tapped financially so I'll probably figure out if it's possible to swap in an R155 for the RA60 or just find a junkyard one, throw in some bearings, sleeve the snout and rebuild mine for a spare. Just rotate it, new tires & a transmission every 50k.

Man that sucks.

Hey I keep on sending you HiLux finds...though the last one was a flipper.

Could you sell yours and sit on the cash until the right pre-95 pops up?

Ya know Dave if I ever won the lotto, I would send you a wad so you could build your perfect HiLux.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Man that sucks.

Hey I keep on sending you HiLux finds...though the last one was a flipper.

Could you sell yours and sit on the cash until the right pre-95 pops up?

Ya know Dave if I ever won the lotto, I would send you a wad so you could build your perfect HiLux.
Yeah gotta play it to win it. If your like me you are too cheap to buy a lotto ticket.

Clutch

<---Pass
Yeah gotta play it to win it. If your like me you are too cheap to buy a lotto ticket.

I buy a quick pick with change out of the ashtray every other gas fillup. Dem are the rules.

Might have a little money set aside...but I am far from rich. Probably a good thing I am not rich...would have the 4WD equivalent of Jay Leno's garage... huge geek when it comes to 4WD vehicles.

Clutch

<---Pass
Last edited:

bkg

Explorer
Ok @bkg ....I am giving in and not being practical...this pretty much uses up the whole $20K budget. Will suck as a daily, but it does have a EFI 460 in it.

There is a beat to **** $200 7ft Alaskan a couple towns over from me for sale...that would fit perfect.

https://boise.craigslist.org/tro/d/camper/6592133478.html

Right color, right stance, right wheels. And I am sucker for classic Fords.

http://classiccardb.com/ford/116082-1979-ford-f250-4x4-crew-cab-xlt.html

View attachment 457099

That’s purdy. 12 valve/6-speed/divorced 205.... winning

Part of the reason for the post is the boredom with my dcab. It’ll be hard to sell since it technically has a rebuilt title (shouldn’t.. long story). I’m kind of jonesing for a 3rd gen 4Runner again. Or maybe a 4th gen v8 sport (converted to part time).

It has to be nice enough to take clients out in, but not so nice I can’t use it.

Impractical, for sure. I’m just getting an itch.

Clutch

<---Pass
That’s purdy. 12 valve/6-speed/divorced 205.... winning

Part of the reason for the post is the boredom with my dcab. It’ll be hard to sell since it technically has a rebuilt title (shouldn’t.. long story). I’m kind of jonesing for a 3rd gen 4Runner again. Or maybe a 4th gen v8 sport (converted to part time).

It has to be nice enough to take clients out in, but not so nice I can’t use it.

Impractical, for sure. I’m just getting an itch.

As much as I dog on diesels, that would be the setup for that pig of a camper. And of course a 7X12/14 enclosed for the scooters. Though 5 speed & twin stick that 205. That 6 speed is a long heavy **********.

I am bored as ******** with my Tacoma...why I look at all other girls out there. But it has long been paid for, 16 years now... and keeps on running.

Haven't seen my buddy's V8 4th Gen yet...maybe tonight...might be heading up the mountain tonight to camp with him (currently waiting for a phone call when he gets in cell range). Awfully nice to have a camper ready to go sitting in the parking lot...I keep some gear in there all the time this time of year.

Gonna talk suspension with him, as it is wallowing with the camper. if he keeps it...OME...if decides to sell at the end of summer...try and figure out a cheaper fix. Though OME is only a grand...but he is even a cheaper SOB than me.

Reactions: bkg

XJLI

Adventurer
Single cab 4x4 half ton with rear locker and a used AT habitat camper. 33" at tires. If you could get that for 20k it would make a decent rig.

Ya mon. Plenty of gently used mid 2000s domestics out there in grandpa trim waiting to get scooped up. Anything from that era with a V8 before the computer controlled 15 speed transmissions, turbos, and cylinder deactivation will last just as long as any Toyota product from the 90s/2000s. They're boring AF though. I hate my Chevy for all the reasons that make it make sense... Unkillable 5.3, 33s, truck cap, G80 rear locker that just works. Stock everything else. BORING.

Clutch

<---Pass
I dunno @bkg went up to the mountains last night. Rare time I don’t have the moto trailer, able to drive a little faster...my truck just works. Boring as it may be, it still impresses me.

My view this morning...rolled back into the small town down from camp to get breakfast at one of my favorite joints.

93247D07-A50B-4911-8D7E-B4609173D793.jpeg

E3CB8A05-EF1A-4722-9F5B-39D1A5151A25.jpeg

08D6F2CA-29FC-444F-946F-A0DBE214B5B3.jpeg

owyheerat

Adventurer
I love that panoramic pic...

Clutch, I appreciate your practicality. I have a 99' 4runner with 225k. I have to put $ into every year, for example I will be replacing my LCA bushings this weekend. I enjoy 'wrenching' on it. It always gets me where I want to go and back home. Like you, I'm always looking at newer 4WD's, but I just can't justify it....

I'm enjoying this thread...

Clutch

<---Pass
I love that panoramic pic...

Clutch, I appreciate your practicality. I have a 99' 4runner with 225k. I have to put $ into every year, for example I will be replacing my LCA bushings this weekend. I enjoy 'wrenching' on it. It always gets me where I want to go and back home. Like you, I'm always looking at newer 4WD's, but I just can't justify it....

I'm enjoying this thread...
Thanks! Has been a long time since I have seen the moon set and sunrise together. Best part is didn’t even plan it! Ran up here on a whim.

Never heard from my buddy, wasn’t in the camp spot I told him to go. Though after running up the lookout tower road last night...might of been too much for his popup trailer...there a couple tight spots that may of made him nervous.

Yeah just did the rack and outer tie-rods recently. The last 4 years have darn near rebuilt the whole undercarriage.

373’000 miles on it now...and still drives like it only has 50K.

Edit: Found him!

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Single cab 4x4 half ton with rear locker and a used AT habitat camper. 33" at tires. If you could get that for 20k it would make a decent rig.
Ya mon. Plenty of gently used mid 2000s domestics out there in grandpa trim waiting to get scooped up. Anything from that era with a V8 before the computer controlled 15 speed transmissions, turbos, and cylinder deactivation will last just as long as any Toyota product from the 90s/2000s. They're boring AF though. I hate my Chevy for all the reasons that make it make sense... Unkillable 5.3, 33s, truck cap, G80 rear locker that just works. Stock everything else. BORING.

$6K, already has a Hi-Rise topper...toss a cot in there and call it done.

https://boise.craigslist.org/ctd/d/2000-gmc-sierra-4x4-longbed/6602971172.html

00h0h_c3s2tGniaJp_600x450.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
Nothing says I am over 65 more than that truck lol

No kidding! In old man gold too.

I still have 19 years before I hit that, but you know... kinda like that better to those fully kitted out "Bro-Overland" rigs running around.

Even though I run an ARB, I don’t like the looks of it. Much prefer stock. Only run one for practical reasons. Saw a big ol’ black bear around the corner after that Prong Horn. Wasn’t quick enough with the camera though.

F5BF1F1E-1DD7-445D-A47F-A52FD3C24BF5.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles