OM617 into an RRC, hopefully! Will be questions

Funrover

Expedition Leader
So to start I will say that I have an 89 RRC with a blown transmission and no engine. I just purchased a 1985 300TD with a bad trans but great engine. I am going to put that engine into the RRC and have an efficient Rover. I want to make it a 5 speed. Looking at r380/lt77 tramnsmissions. For this application either will be made to work. Much research here for sure. So I am curious what others have done in this swap, what transmission did you mount? I am hoping to keep the LT230. I know 4x4labs.com makes an adapter to Toyota items.

Thanks for any insight, I know I will be back for help!

griffin2018

My 96 discovery has a 300tdi and r380 swapped into it, I like it a lot. From what Ive read the r380 is more of a refined transmission than its predecessor, and it is fairly strong. If the 300TD is what i think it is (a mercedes) why not look into putting in an MB 5 speed, they are available just hard to find

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
If you want patterns in Autocad for the Adapter plates let me know. As long as you don't go and try to sell it later on. I have a lot of time into them, and never used them. I sold one kit to a guy a couple years ago. He used it in a D2, Said it worked okay. He did swap the transmission to a 4HP22 non-computer controlled unit.

Main reason: Oil pan placement sucks.

Funrover

Expedition Leader
Would love that! No selling them. I am going to make this the Daily. My 220 Diesel mercedes car injector pump went out at 690K. So I want to actually fix her up and have a new"Benz Diesel" as a daily.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
Would love that! No selling them. I am going to make this the Daily. My 220 Diesel mercedes car injector pump went out at 690K. So I want to actually fix her up and have a new"Benz Diesel" as a daily.

Shoot me an email.

ross.h@rhdesignconsulting.com

I'll dig them up. They are on one of my 3 external hard-drives. Give me a day or so. Still recovering from going to the UK and getting back last night.

Mtanzania

Richard Davis (rdavisinva) on defendersource created a ‘kit’ for the OM617 into a defender. When I contacted him about putting one in my 93 RRC, he said it won’t work for a few different reasons. I don’t remember off hand what the reasons were but he did a ton of R&D on the swap. Might be worth reaching out to him instead of reinventing the wheel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94