Southwest Disk or Tembo Tusk Skottle?

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
I looked at Fire Disc but for their burner (20,000 BTU) with a 22" disk the price is $399.

I'd never heard of the Fire Disc until I read this thread then saw a stack for sale at Buc-ees today in New Braunfels, TX. WAY more money than I want to spend on something like that but does look like it'd do the trick (as long as you weren't packing it somewhere).

Village Idiot
I bought the 18" disk with the smallest cover available, which is 22". It will work out great once I weld on leg sockets and a Coleman burner holder.

I think I will beat the Skottle by half the price.

01tundra

Explorer
I wasn’t sure about the lip at first, but after the first run I’m feeling encouraged. It makes it easy to flip over small items like chunks of chicken by running them over to the edge. Also no worries about losing food off the edge. I was concerned that the disc seemed steeper on the outer edge, but I think it’s an optical illusion from the lip because the chicken stayed parked. The spring handles are for sure my favorite, I was able to pick it up bare handed and carry it into the house right after shutting the burner down.

This may end up being the sweet spot I’ve been looking for. We’ll see how it can handle bacon & eggs in the morning and steak tomorrow night. One thing for sure, General Tso just got b**ch slapped tonight, this stuff is money.

xSYjmMa.jpg

5FLOWVP.jpg

COzwYYA.jpg

nry4xA5.jpg

jeegro

Adventurer
My setup is all Coleman dual fuel (2-burner, lantern, and single burner) so I wanted a skottle/disk/wok that worked off the single burner. Contacted TT and Discadia, no dice there. So I made my own this weekend!

Winged it really. A bit of a hack-job, but I'm happy. I cannibalized a couple tripods, and bought some various aluminum plate, angle, u-channel, etc from Mcmaster.

Folds compact, hardly weighs anything

Attachments

• m6%4uBCXSrGvBj6CXJpp8A.jpg
    m6%4uBCXSrGvBj6CXJpp8A.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 91
  • S3hY5oNzQTyi3ce%Uqy7kw.jpg
    S3hY5oNzQTyi3ce%Uqy7kw.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 96
  • UwkiDnN0RJqyO23H5GKRaw.jpg
    UwkiDnN0RJqyO23H5GKRaw.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 94
  • KNtkEJU8S%W+z4Z8VnLRSA.jpg
    KNtkEJU8S%W+z4Z8VnLRSA.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 90
  • V85qMALrRTSSm%MKu5Mesg.jpg
    V85qMALrRTSSm%MKu5Mesg.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 88
  • bZuwss2QSGmv+QUBpBx3PQ.jpg
    bZuwss2QSGmv+QUBpBx3PQ.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 79

Village Idiot
You bought a disc that needs custom Fab and a lid that is meant for a larger disc... And value your time and labor at $0...among other details... such as carrying bag etc.. and you are comparing your price to a fully setup, ready to go kit...???

:rolleyes:

Bless your heart...

*carrying case that's 22", not the lid.

And taking the 2.5 minutes it takes to weld on leg sockets isn't worth the extra $200.

Thanks for the blessing.

01tundra

Explorer
Ok, had a chance to cook breakfast on the Skottle over the weekend.

So since I now own both I feel as though I can better compare the two.

The Southwest disk with the burner I bought from them definitely has more usable cooking space, of direct heat. The Skottle still does a good job and has to use less fuel, just gives a smaller cooking area under the direct heat.

For traveling the Skottle edges out the Southwest Disk. It still wasn’t compact enough for me with having to use a separate bag for the legs, but I fixed that tonight with the help of my bandsaw. Now it’s compact, everything I need fits in the Step 22 Gear bag (which it absolutely ************ by the way). I can fit my 12’ hose, cooking utensils, legs, cover and lid all in one bag, pretty darn sweet.

So it boils down to this for me, if I’m cooking at home the Skottle can’t compete in my opinion, but for cooking while camping the Skottle is the total package of light weight, compact and gets the job done well.

I have decided that the 20” Southwest Disk with the lip is perfect for home use, but it’s way too heavy to be traveling with in my opinion.

aGKubV4.jpg

kDgd1rV.jpg

ZwKhcEB.jpg

38enlnD.jpg

Last edited:

trae

Adventurer
Are there any low profile propane burners you can recommend? I’m trying to reproduce this setup with a cheap cast iron wok. How many BTUs is skottle burner?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trae

Adventurer

trae

Adventurer
Just get the largest lodge cast iron pan for half that price. Works just as good and you can use it on your home stove.

But is it overlanding enough? I kid, I kid. It's cross my mind. I'm scottle curious, that's all. I like the idea of the legs for campfire cooking. Burner would still be necessary for a skillet.

71GTPRO

I like to cook and thought the skottle was a pretty cool concept. I wasn't too keen on the price so I built my own as well. The biggest lesson I learned was regarding placement of the studs for the legs. Definitely could have moved them out a bit further to make more room for the burner. Right now the adjusting bolts work well for raising and lowering the burner, but I have some more trimming to do. Regarding how it cooks...it's fun, but does take some getting use to in regards to temperature. The heat is pretty concentrated and I am using the same burner as Tembo Tusk.

skottle 5.jpgskottle 4.jpgskottle 6.jpgskottle 3.jpgskottle 7.jpg

I have about $60 bucks all in on this project....but I did splurge and buy the STEP 22 carry bag...it's pretty sweet!

trae

Adventurer
I like to cook and thought the skottle was a pretty cool concept. I wasn't too keen on the price so I built my own as well. The biggest lesson I learned was regarding placement of the studs for the legs. Definitely could have moved them out a bit further to make more room for the burner. Right now the adjusting bolts work well for raising and lowering the burner, but I have some more trimming to do. Regarding how it cooks...it's fun, but does take some getting use to in regards to temperature. The heat is pretty concentrated and I am using the same burner as Tembo Tusk.

I have about $60 bucks all in on this project....but I did splurge and buy the STEP 22 carry bag...it's pretty sweet!

Wow! Is that a genuine plow disc? And a horseshoe for the burner holder?

71GTPRO

Yes and yes!. It was harder to find the plow disc than I thought it would be, but I got one at a local implement store. They were very curious as to why I wanted one especially when I told them I didn't care what size mounting hole etc. etc. Cleaning the finish off the plow disc was the longest part.

Scoutman

Explorer
@01tundra yes, I would say you definitely have this discada thing covered. :) I like what you did with the legs of the skottle. It's always bugged me a little that they won't fit in the main bag (but not bad enough for me to do anything about it). What did you use for sleeving the leg pipes? I like the push button clips too, very clean.

I haven't used my 22" discada since I got the Skottle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles