Shoe holder, thingymabob, keeping shoes outside the tent

Dozer Dan

Observer
So I don't know what they are called but I need some kind of device to keep shoes out of the tent at night. I have a hard shell tent so I can't use a hammock of sorts. It also must be breathable!
Anything you can buy, what are they called?
Or even better, something handy you can DIY?

Ray_G

Explorer
Wife and I were discussing this the other day as we noodle through purchasing a hard shell this summer and shifting how we camp.

My suggest to her was to put some tie down loops off the side of our rack that the tent will be on (we have Rovers so we tend to use these: http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/14483/EOZ100000-LUGGAGE-LOOP-TIE-DOWN.html) and then hanging the shoes themselves off them with a carabiner or if the shoes don't have a loop, I was planning on getting some more mesh pullouts from Kifaru which does have a loop (https://store.kifaru.net/mesh-pullouts-p194.aspx). Doesn't get after having a waterproof solution...but I also think we may end up using it for flops or sandals more than boots.

That was my thoughts, figured if nothing else maybe it helps as you dwell on it.
r-
Ray

Dozer Dan

Observer
I was thinking some kind of bag as well. I live in Ireland so rain is almost guaranteed so it will have to be something that can take a good shower but I also need it to be breathable or the shoes will go all manky.

rickc

Adventurer
the easiest solution if your tent doesn't already have a shoe bag is to buy or make a mesh bag big enough for your boots/shoes and hang it from the top rung of your ladder with a small hook. This of course works best if you have an overhang otherwise thing swill get wet when it rains.

dpsmedic

Adventurer
So I don't know what they are called but I need some kind of device to keep shoes out of the tent at night. I have a hard shell tent so I can't use a hammock of sorts. It also must be breathable!

I use one similar to these. Folds flat for when the tent is closed and opens up to store two pairs of shoes in the tent (James Baroud Evasion XXL). I went with this to avoid critters taking my shoes and rain / dew keeping them wet. Has worked great for several years.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/st...h-collapsible-storage-box-in-black/1063663501

the406

I would use a roll-top dry bag, such as THESE, drop shoes in, roll it up, clip it by a carabiner to the top rung of the ladder as others have stated, and your shoes will be completely protected from the rain, etc. I use one frequently for clothing that I stash when backcountry hunting in MT, as well as a down sleeping bag, and nothing gets wet. Just a thought.

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
Sorry for not posting sooner, but just saw this thread. I've had a hard shell for over 5 yrs now and have never, in any weather, needed a "device" to store shoes. What I do as I'm getting in the RTT, I remove shoes and stuff them in the space between my RTT and roof of my rig. They're out of the weather, well ventilated and accessible when exiting the RTT. Of course this doesn't have the glamor of all the shoe bags suggested in this thread, but it's also cheaper. But, you get what you pay for. My method is not perfect. It requires some contorsioning and sitting in the doorway of your RTT as you remove or put your shoes back on. But it is what it is - something to consider. However, this won't work for the larger soft shell tents or the new JB tunnel option.

carbon60

Explorer
Sorry for not posting sooner, but just saw this thread. I've had a hard shell for over 5 yrs now and have never, in any weather, needed a "device" to store shoes. What I do as I'm getting in the RTT, I remove shoes and stuff them in the space between my RTT and roof of my rig. They're out of the weather, well ventilated and accessible when exiting the RTT. Of course this doesn't have the glamor of all the shoe bags suggested in this thread, but it's also cheaper. But, you get what you pay for. My method is not perfect. It requires some contorsioning and sitting in the doorway of your RTT as you remove or put your shoes back on. But it is what it is - something to consider. However, this won't work for the larger soft shell tents or the new JB tunnel option.

Also do the above.

And I'll add that we use Crocs as "bush slippers", leaving our actual footwear in the truck. Easier to slip on/off for quick pee runs and does not absorb moisture at all.

A.

Dozer Dan

Observer
I like the idea of leaving the shoes on the roof of the car but I don't have enough space unfortunately. My tent is more or less permanently mounted to the car so I've mounted it super close to the roof. I like the idea though and it's even better when you don't have to buy something to lug around.

mezmochill

Is outside
Also do the above.

And I'll add that we use Crocs as "bush slippers", leaving our actual footwear in the truck. Easier to slip on/off for quick pee runs and does not absorb moisture at all.

A.
This^.

Also a big dry bag on a long paracord tether with a carabiner on the opposite end clipped to your truck rack under the tent door.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles