255/85R16 ST/Maxx dilemma

shark31

Every 6k. It don’t get really noticeable until around 22-25k.

According to Cooper:
We recommend you rotate tires on front wheel drive vehicles and/or all season tires on any vehicle every 5,000 to 8,000 miles to equalize the rate of wear.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Yeah, that might be it.

Our fleet Express vans, and solid axle trucks eat front tires by feathering them. All of them have heavy understeer.

trae

Adventurer
I have the same tire as op, at about 8k miles. Recently they’ve gotten loud although I suspect it may be a bad wheel bearing. Rotation hasn’t helped. These have been amazing off-road tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TernOverland

Supporting Sponsor Ternoverland.com
The tread on my Cooper Maxx 255/85-16's is half gone. The tread wear is nice and even. I drive the Tacoma pretty hard, including cornering. I rotate every 5K, no cross rotation, just straight forward and back. I also keep my camber at zero, which seems to help. I am interested in the new KM3 next time around. My truck is a gen II.

Smileyshaun

Observer
I had the st maxx in a 255 on my sequoia and they started getting a little loud so I took it back in for a alignment and everything checked out . started to wear a little uneven so I took it to a different shop still fine , so I pulled my whole front end apart . turned out I had a front wheel bearing getting bad and my lower control arm bushings where getting sloppy . both of those would lead to the alignment being off just slightly when the vehicle is moving .

Smileyshaun

Observer
the ******** cepek extreme country is available in a 255/85r16 . seems to have favorable reviews and surprisingly quiet . just ordered a set in 35s so hoping they are as good as the reviews say

Superduty

Adventurer
I don't have those tires, but they usually get high marks on this board and others. I don't think it is a tire issue. I would look some more at tire balance, wheel alignment, and front end parts.

Get the numbers from the alignment shop and then check that against the OEM specs.

downhill

Adventurer
the ******** cepek extreme country is available in a 255/85r16 . seems to have favorable reviews and surprisingly quiet . just ordered a set in 35s so hoping they are as good as the reviews say

Please do a review for us! It looks interesting, and it is made in the USA by Cooper. It is 2 lbs lighter than the STT Maxx. I have run Mastercraft, and Dean , also made by Cooper, and they were really great tires. Cooper makes these brands: Mastercraft, Dean, Starfire, Roadmaster, Avon Tyres, Mickey Thompson, and ******** Cepek. One thing that I liked about Mastercraft and Dean was that they both had a softer sidewall. That's probably not the best deal for serious rock crawling, but it sure makes an E rated tire ride nice.

Smileyshaun

Observer
Please do a review for us! It looks interesting, and it is made in the USA by Cooper. It is 2 lbs lighter than the STT Maxx. I have run Mastercraft, and Dean , also made by Cooper, and they were really great tires. Cooper makes these brands: Mastercraft, Dean, Starfire, Roadmaster, Avon Tyres, Mickey Thompson, and ******** Cepek. One thing that I liked about Mastercraft and Dean was that they both had a softer sidewall. That's probably not the best deal for serious rock crawling, but it sure makes an E rated tire ride nice.

Yeah the ST Maxx definitely had a very stiff sidewall even on my Sequoia I had to get down to around 12 PSI to get them to really squat to my liking.
I'll let you know on the extreme country , my main concerns with them is road noise and snow performance.

downhill

Adventurer
Yeah the ST Maxx definitely had a very stiff sidewall even on my Sequoia I had to get down to around 12 PSI to get them to really squat to my liking.
I'll let you know on the extreme country , my main concerns with them is road noise and snow performance.

I've logged a ton of ice miles, and I would definitely sipe them if I bought them. Les Schwab used to sipe mine, but I don't live in "Les Schwab Country" anymore. I'll be buying a siping tool soon. I'm interested to hear about noise, ride, and overall handling.

Smileyshaun

Observer
I've logged a ton of ice miles, and I would definitely sipe them if I bought them. Les Schwab used to sipe mine, but I don't live in "Les Schwab Country" anymore. I'll be buying a siping tool soon. I'm interested to hear about noise, ride, and overall handling.

I would rather walk 50 miles than go to les Schwab for anything. that company went downhill fast

jadmt

ignore button user
I would rather walk 50 miles than go to les Schwab for anything. that company went downhill fast

I agree. first started doing business with them in the 70's and swore by them had friends who managed their stores etc but now I go else where. they refused to mount a Toyo tire I bought mail order for $150 cheaper than they would sell it for. Took it to Firestone and they mounted it for $16. I had probably bought 35 sets of tires from LS over the years as have 2 daughters that I buy tires for as well and have bought no less than 8 sets of Toyo Open Country at2 and RT since 2012 alone.

lugueto

Adventurer
I don't have Cooper ST Maxx's, but I did have the original STs in 255/85 and they never wore well.

I am very careful when taking care of my tires: allignment, balancing, rotation. I never got them to wear well. They seemed to have a mix of cupping and feathering.

I changed tires a long while back, to avoid this. I went from Cooper ST's in 255/85 to Destination AT's in 265/75 and now Toyo AT2's in 265/75. Both the Firestones and the Toyos have worn well. That has led me to believe that my actual problem was the fact that the Coopers are Load Range E, whereas the others were Load Range C. I believe the Coopers were too hard/heavy for a very light vehicle, causing uneven wear.

roving1

I have 235/85R16 ST's and my old KO2's were wayyyy louder than the Coopers. It wasn't even a contest. Especially under 40MPH and over 50MPH. The BFG'S were pretty loud at cruising speed of 70 MPH. The cooper's you can't hear over the wind noise at that speed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles