How important is GVWR?

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
When the box marked "may have a less than optimal, stiff or harsh ride", is OK for dealers to check, it's easier to make a secure towing/hauling truck.

Lesser trucks are severely compromised when they can't check that box. I'm still amazed that manufacturers still can't make long travel air suspension without major trade offs, yet.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
I was just bein a ******************. :D

Amazing how far trucks have come. New 1/2 tons will run circles around the old 3/4 ton stuff from the 60’s and 70’s.

New 3/4-1 ton diesels are putting out more torque than our old Tri-axle Mack.

That's true. I love it when guys still running 1 tons from the 90s try to tell people with new trucks they need all kinds of crap added on to haul a camper. The new HD trucks have GVWRs that are literally multiple thousands more than those 90s and 2000s trucks. Hell, my SRW has a higher GVWR than a 3rd Gen DRW truck.

bkg

Explorer
Yes. Night and day. I've done a Wrangler Unlimited, a couple of F150s (one with an ATC popup in the bed) and now my Ram 3500 which started life with a 3500# Lance camper in the bed but now just has a Leer cap. Highway miles in the Ram are so much more comfortable it isn't funny.

How dare you mention a Ram in the Toyota forums!!! ???

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Yes. Night and day. I've done a Wrangler Unlimited, a couple of F150s (one with an ATC popup in the bed) and now my Ram 3500 which started life with a 3500# Lance camper in the bed but now just has a Leer cap. Highway miles in the Ram are so much more comfortable it isn't funny.

How dare you mention a Ram in the Toyota forums!!!

Another ************ bag response.

Dalko43

Explorer
. . . Some trucks can have simple suspension upgrades to allow for higher GVWR since the underlying platform is in fact rated for higher loads . . .

You cannot change the GVWR of a vehicle. In the US only a NHTSA licensed upfitter can legally make that change and they will apply a new door sticker stating the new GVWR, what was changed and who changed it. The factory sticker GVWR is the legal maximum a vehicle can carry irregardless of what modifications you have done to it.

If you are running over GVWR, read the exclusions in your auto policy. Some auto policies void for running overweight.

jim

I’m not saying the gvwr can be changed. I’m saying the underlying Ram HD’s already have a higher gvwr to begin with. The only real difference between some variants is the suspension setup. That’s not the same as people “upgrading” their Taco’s suspension and thinking everything is a okay with going over max payload.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watt maker

Do all the Ram frames (Power Wagon - 3500) have the same wall thickness?

On the 2011-14 F150's there were a few different wall thickness frames available, which did play a part in GVWR, depending on different options. The HD F150's and the crew cab 6.5' bed with the Max towing pkg had the thickest frames. All the frames looked the same and obviously all the mounting points were the same. You could only tell the difference by measuring wall thickness or if you knew what build codes to look for.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The only real difference between some variants is the suspension setup. That’s not the same as people “upgrading” their Taco’s suspension and thinking everything is a okay with going over max payload.
But neither can you say it's /not/ OK. We don't know why Toyota or anyone else assigns the number they do. It might be as simple as Toyota using soft riding springs that would have excessive body lean and poor handling going beyond GVWR and appropriate rate springs would allow being over GVWR to be completely safe.

quickfarms

Adventurer
I was just bein a ******************. :D

Amazing how far trucks have come. New 1/2 tons will run circles around the old 3/4 ton stuff from the 60’s and 70’s.

New 3/4-1 ton diesels are putting out more torque than our old Tri-axle Mack.

That's true. I love it when guys still running 1 tons from the 90s try to tell people with new trucks they need all kinds of crap added on to haul a camper. The new HD trucks have GVWRs that are literally multiple thousands more than those 90s and 2000s trucks. Hell, my SRW has a higher GVWR than a 3rd Gen DRW truck.

The old trucks were work rated, in other words they can do that every day.

Today the manufacturers are in a marketing war so the light trucks are being marketed to the weekend warriors. This has lead to lightening the trucks to improve fuel economy, tuning the suspension for ride, creating unrealistic towing capacity and pushing the GVWR to the limit.

This has lead the SAE to develop standards to level the playing field.

Your little Toyota can't even carry my fords front axle

Clutch

<---Pass
The old trucks were work rated, in other words they can do that every day.

Today the manufacturers are in a marketing war so the light trucks are being marketed to the weekend warriors. This has lead to lightening the trucks to improve fuel economy, tuning the suspension for ride, creating unrealistic towing capacity and pushing the GVWR to the limit.

This has lead the SAE to develop standards to level the playing field.

Yep

Sure it could, Dana 60 complete is what 500-600 lbs. ?

Mine has a payload of 1650. It is currently packed for a trip that I am leaving for after work today. Think I have a about 800-900 lbs in there now, plus my moto trailer with one dirt bike on it. Does pretty well...though wouldn't want much more than that.

quickfarms

Adventurer

Sure it could, Dana 60 complete is what 500-600 lbs. ?

Mine has a payload of 1650. It is currently packed for a trip that I am leaving for after work today. Think I have a about 800-900 lbs in there now, plus my moto trailer with one dirt bike on it. Does pretty well...though wouldn't want much more than that.[/QUOTE]

No little Dana here

Try Marmon Herrington MT-17

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier