Ambulance Camper/ Expedition Rig Conversion FAQ

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
My 1998 minimod came with IPD sway bars front and rear. Big n beefy! It handled really well on curves. To the point I had to remind myself what I was driving up a steep twisty highway. I had some sway, but I think it was from old shocks. With that big, heavy box on there, I think a sway bar is always going to help. Handling doesn’t matter, until it does... if I have to swerve/recover/etc, it’s good to be as prepared as possible.

Good to know. Mine’s very similar to a Mini in size... only a couple inches bigger here and there. Only with duallies hanging out on both sides. It has almost zero body roll in the corners. The 4000lb/side rear springs really stiffened it up. With Moog Progressive front springs and new Bilstein shocks, it’ll handle most twists roads at well above the speed limits. So I’m dubious a sway bar will do that much to control a 6000 lb box at high speeds. Lower speed it’ll do more.

cjken

Explorer
Having had 3 mini-mods I’d say the sway bar helps, but that is not the only factor that is different.
#1 and #2 no rear sway bar SRW 2wd
Lots of mushy feel and lean around corners.
#3 started life as a dually 4x4 huge rear sway bar now SRW 35” Tires. Handles really great for its size.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Any adverse side effects of the sway bar?

I’m hoping to find one eventually, but it hasn’t had one since 12/96 and it has done fine so I’m not in a rush to find one.

bryceon44

Hello all,

I have a 1997 Ford E-350 wheeled coach. I am wondering if this support beam for the old oxygen tank is structural or if I could remove it? I am needing the space for my sink area.

Thank you for any help and have a great day

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_114.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_114.jpeg
    366.3 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_2249-1.JPG
    IMG_2249-1.JPG
    817.2 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_2250.JPG
    IMG_2250.JPG
    946.3 KB · Views: 74

gmtech

Observer
whats the general head room on a mini mod? ive only been in one forgot the maker. and it had less head room then my class 2. im like 5 7ish and with no shoes can almost completely stand up in mine just have to lower my head a little.

Deshet

Adventurer
whats the general head room on a mini mod? ive only been in one forgot the maker. and it had less head room then my class 2. im like 5 7ish and with no shoes can almost completely stand up in mine just have to lower my head a little.

My 1995 4x4 Mini Mod has right at about 5'7-5'8" of Head Room. It doesn't seem to be any shorter then my F350 4x4 based Ambulance.

Hello all,

I have a 1997 Ford E-350 wheeled coach. I am wondering if this support beam for the old oxygen tank is structural or if I could remove it? I am needing the space for my sink area.

Thank you for any help and have a great day

The only support beams are supposed to be on the sides of the module.

Thanks

Last edited:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I’ve got about 5’6” in my Crestline New Era which is very similar in size to a Mini... I thought Minis were an inch or two lower... so I’d check the specific one you’re looking at. Most ambulances are built to standardized specs, but I know Minis are slightly smaller.

patoz

Expedition Leader
thank you for help. I am hoping to get a definitive answer. I have sent a message to the manufacturer anyone else out there dealt with this beam?

Your's is the first ambulance I have ever seen with that kind of O2 cylinder mount, and I've seen quite a few. Most are mounted against the back compartment wall. I have two Wheeled Coach's, and neither one of them has that type of mount, but then they are the full size units, and not a mini-mod.

Ambulance modules are built using a roll cage configuration, which is self supporting. I believe that post serves one purpose, which is to provide a mounting point for the O2 cylinder, and therefore you could remove it without compromising the integral structure at all.

Excellance - 01 - cropped.jpg

Of course asking the manufacturer is probably the safest way to make sure it's OK to remove it.

cjken

Explorer
Mines got the same
7a92a6c6c967c3ce09441a0cffc78c73.heic

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Any thoughts on using an elastomer coating on an ambulance roof? I’m considering painting the roof with white rubberized roof coating to seal all the seams and reflect heat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles