Bringing Sexy Back. AKA 93' LWB RRC

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
New intake system is done. Donaldson air filter, homemade snorkle, custom intercooler piping kit made to fit.

143f16fb538f5f9ff348ae8c1ad3c8f4.jpg
ab5c680c199e0fb08c4b8009aa3d446e.jpg
1b5bc941a8a6f58481bf1687217143e0.jpg
427e44b155c6a5644976999dda146adc.jpg
4c3f0359ce7f0db2d99e2653515011c8.jpg
c35c9614ee0ef515773dc2fbc2aba7bc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

GMRover

Wow just read through this whole thread. Bummer you couldn't get the Mercedes engine to fire. My buddy has a 300TD with the 617 in it and it fires right up all the time and is such a reliable engine.

It is cool to see you using the GM boat anchors though. I've got a 6.2 in my 95 Disco 1. Got it already swapped but I had to do the head gaskets on it this spring as I blew them in Eastern WA headed back home from a ski trip. Thought about going to the 6.5 a couple times as I was doing the rebuild just to get a little more power out of it but I didnt know about the van/bus engine with the turbo in the valley so I didn't think it'd work. I am curious about how you got such good fuel economy with your 6.2. I get about 13mpg with mine mated to the factory LR 5mt gearbox.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
I don't know, I got pretty good mileage. I only know because when it was stock with a 4.2L V8 and now lift, I would use a half a tank of fuel to Salt Lake and back to my house. ~60+- Miles. With the 6.2 I only use 1/4 of a tank now. I calculated the 4.2 and was averaging about 9 MPG. I calculated the 6.2 and was getting ~18 mpg. If I just drive it in town, not on the highway, I get about 20 mpg. I don't drive it to hard, I'm not in a hurry in my Classic, I just like to cruise in it and 4 wheel. Its not a daily driver either.

I think having the timing set right, I also dump used motor oil into my tank, and not hot rodding it is a good way to get these thing running well. I also run 33" tires to keep the rev's down, I'm using a 700R4 tranmssion and NP241 HD. That keep's the revs on the highway in the "sweet spot". I also didn't change my axle gearing. Its 3.56 which when I did all the calculations comparing it to the original chevy stuff, kept me in a good rev range up to 80 mph. I don't need to go any faster in this range rover than 80. LOL. It'll do 90 but the motor is screaming.

Wow just read through this whole thread. Bummer you couldn't get the Mercedes engine to fire. My buddy has a 300TD with the 617 in it and it fires right up all the time and is such a reliable engine.

It is cool to see you using the GM boat anchors though. I've got a 6.2 in my 95 Disco 1. Got it already swapped but I had to do the head gaskets on it this spring as I blew them in Eastern WA headed back home from a ski trip. Thought about going to the 6.5 a couple times as I was doing the rebuild just to get a little more power out of it but I didnt know about the van/bus engine with the turbo in the valley so I didn't think it'd work. I am curious about how you got such good fuel economy with your 6.2. I get about 13mpg with mine mated to the factory LR 5mt gearbox.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
So update,

The engine has a blown headgasket on the passenger side. I finally got it filled with water and got it up to operating temperature yesterday. The cooling system seemed to be getting over pressurized and then I noticed it was starting to leak water from the passenger-side. Thinking, what hoses do I have over there, none, damn. I crawl under and can see water coming out from the head.

So annoyed with the ebay seller of this engine I could kill him. I have had to basically repair the whole thing. So I'm ordering a headgasket kit and headstuds. I'll have the heads decked locally. Doesn't look like a horrible job. Would have been a lot easier to do outside of the vehicle, but oh well.

This will put me back a few weeks, but its summer and I wasn't planning on going anywhere fun until this fall.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
Got the head off, took a couple hours. Its one reason I like this engine. super simple to work on. No special tools, no special anything.

Gonna get the otherside off monday and take the heads down to get shaved, flattened, whatever.

36509172_10155796418785028_932592134748372992_n.jpg

36436366_10155796418875028_5553662068307001344_n.jpg

36484291_10155796418940028_499016174059651072_n.jpg

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
The head gasket was blown. Making it hard to start and leaking water out from the head.

You'd think that by putting a different kind of non- Land Rover engine in it I'd be done with head gaskets. Well lesson learned head gasket God's. Well played Land Rover. Well played

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

REDROVER

Explorer
Best place to buy military engines on eBay is TEDS TRUCK AND STUFF.
everything is tested and run before they sale.

REDROVER

Explorer
I thought u put P400 motor in there But I was reading ur post,
U got 6.2.
If u ever replace that with 6.5, only put P400 back that is made by international and AM. General and has diamonds shape castings on the engine, fully forged totally redesigned 6.5 turbo motor.
U should of not gave up on starting that Mercedes motor, maybe it was just timing issue. One problem with 6.5 or Cummins is it’s very very heavy for the rover or any SUV of this type 400 lb heavier than stock motor.

Don’t forget to put fuel check valve right when fuel line comes out of the fuel tank, gas motors don’t need that, but diesel is mandatory.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
6.2 is gone. Replaced with this 6.5 center mount turbo. 6.2 was the first motor. I got a good deal on this and decided to go for a turbo'd version.

I thought u put P400 motor in there But I was reading ur post,
U got 6.2.
If u ever replace that with 6.5, only put P400 back that is made by international and AM. General and has diamonds shape castings on the engine, fully forged totally redesigned 6.5 turbo motor.
U should of not gave up on starting that Mercedes motor, maybe it was just timing issue. One problem with 6.5 or Cummins is it’s very very heavy for the rover or any SUV of this type 400 lb heavier than stock motor.

Don’t forget to put fuel check valve right when fuel line comes out of the fuel tank, gas motors don’t need that, but diesel is mandatory.

REDROVER

Explorer
6.2 is gone. Replaced with this 6.5 center mount turbo. 6.2 was the first motor. I got a good deal on this and decided to go for a turbo'd version.

I am surprised someone actually managed to damage the p400 if it’s actually p400
Because there are many versions of 6.5

There is the GM 6.5
Then the updated block 6.5
Then the optimizer
Then the p400

Did u install fuel and water separator?
eBay has a unit made for Oshkosh 8x8 truck by RACOR
One ************** unit for only 65 bucks. ( government overstock )

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
Do you have a link for the fuel water separator? I haven't ever had water in my diesel. I have a 2013 Cummins and its never had water in the fuel in the 2 years I've had it. It has 60K miles on it.

REDROVER

Explorer
Do you have a link for the fuel water separator? I haven't ever had water in my diesel. I have a 2013 Cummins and its never had water in the fuel in the 2 years I've had it. It has 60K miles on it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Racor-660R...l-Filter-Water-Separator-w-R60T-/302288250964

Here it is even cheaper.
I guess if u ever fill up in the remote places that are careless or have old fuel tanks it may contain water,
This unit also has heating element if u ever decide to run heavy oil.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
Ok, I haven't updated in a while. My buddy and I bought some defenders 110's and have been fixing those up.

I finally got to work on this last night.

The new engine had a 4L80E on it. Unfortunately I didn't realize the flexplate was different until I had the transmission all bolted up and was trying to hook the torque converter up to it. I had to order a flexplate for a 700R4. That been sitting in the garage for a month now. I decided to finally swap it out last night. It actually didn't go to bad and I had it swapped out and back together in about 3 hours. With some time left in the night, I decided it was time to redo the transmission crossmember I had cobbled together in a hurry when I first did the swap.

I had purchased a cross-member for a chevy truck with a 700R4 about 8 months ago, but they sent me the wrong one. I think they sold me one for a 4x4. They apologized and refunded me my money. I asked how they wanted me to ship it back to them. They said I could just keep it. So its been collecting dust on the shelf for months. Last night I took some measurements, figured out how to shorten it down and make it mount up to my 4x4 700R4.

I just bought a tig welder and decided it was time to practice on something. So after cutting this thing up, I welded it all back together with the tig welder. It went pretty good. I'm starting to get the hang of it. My welds are not the pretty yet. But I can work on that. I know I got good penetration and things are not going to break.

After I finished building that, I went to bed.

This morning I installed it and welded my mounting points into the frame. It fits very well, uses the stock bushings, and has a lot more clearance than the old one. I'll try to post some pictures when I get around to it.

I only have a short list of things left to do:

1. Have the rear driveshaft lengthened
  2. Hook up the transmission wiring
  3. Figure out the transmission kick down cable / pressure cable (or go full manual conversion, probably going to do this)
  4. Put the hood on
  5. Paint the new wheels I got for it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles