ARB fridge or ???

Rune

Keep in mind power consumption and where you are getting 12v from... (no mention of)
A dead battery in the middle of nowhere could be very bad.
That draws 5a which is double of my Engel... constantly pulling that load will exhaust a battery quickly, what battery do you plan to use? Not the starter battery, right?

Right. I'll have 2 or 3 deep cycle batteries in addition to the starter.

I like the Engel but the price is pretty hefty and I'm wanting more of a fridge form rather than cooler.

Rune

For those with the Dometic Coolmatic CRX; where did you get yours?

The only source I found was on eBay, which isn't my favorite.

Also seller says there is an application specific installation kit (for big rigs mostly). I never received clarification on what exactly the kit comprised. Since I'm doing a custom installation do I need a kit? What's in the kit?

Thanks
Sean

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
For those with the Dometic Coolmatic CRX; where did you get yours?

The only source I found was on eBay, which isn't my favorite.

Also seller says there is an application specific installation kit (for big rigs mostly). I never received clarification on what exactly the kit comprised. Since I'm doing a custom installation do I need a kit? What's in the kit?

Thanks
Sean

I bought mine from a trucking supply company. A LOT better price than camping places and many of the camping places do not carry this model. The kit is nice but honestly I don't think it is needed, I cut the wood around mine and I am happy.

C3A7117-768x512.jpg

My blog http://www.firstchoicephoto.ca/blog/van-electrical-part-2/#more-3460

Of you guys that have these refrigerators in your vans, what kind of driving are you doing? Are you on the road, off road, desert driving, rock crawling, etc?

I'm interested in a refrigerator and a lot of my off road excursions include desert driving on rough washboard at 30mph+ which generates a lot of vibration. Anyone else do anything similar with a fridge and have it hold up?

kcernest

Observer
I think I'm the only one with an Ironman 4x4 fridge here, never see it mentioned. I think it's an ARB clone. Works damn good and once it's cold it draws almost nothing. Turning it down freezes stuff quick!

The downside of NOT getting a cooler style fridge is everytime you open the door that compressor is going to have to kick back on to replace all that cold air you just dumped out. Your energy use will be greater with a dorm fridge.

Scotty D

Right. I'll have 2 or 3 deep cycle batteries in addition to the starter.

I like the Engel but the price is pretty hefty and I'm wanting more of a fridge form rather than cooler.
If you are going to have that many amp hours, just get a dorm fridge.

broncobowsher

Adventurer
Of you guys that have these refrigerators in your vans, what kind of driving are you doing? Are you on the road, off road, desert driving, rock crawling, etc?

I'm interested in a refrigerator and a lot of my off road excursions include desert driving on rough washboard at 30mph+ which generates a lot of vibration. Anyone else do anything similar with a fridge and have it hold up?
The ARB/Engle can take some serious abuse. They are the fridges of the off-road world.

Scotty D

Baja every winter , my van is awd with BFG KO2s and I like remote beaches. I cant imagine a tougher test than six months at a time of that.

Scotty D

You do have to bungee the door shut and be careful when you open the fridge after an serious off-roading

r_vdb

Observer
We have put an Arb 50 qt. through 7 years of use, kids, soccer dads grabbing a cold one, washboard roads etc. i run one battery & it’s worked great. and the only gripe is the fluctuation in zones and setting the temp so things don’t freeze as you start to empty the fridge . However that could be my doing because I like to set everything at a very low temp . Lots of options now a days.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The efficiency of the small arb/Engel/dometic/etc doesn’t matter as much if you’ve got solar panel real estate on the roof.
Your point is valid to some extent, balancing cost vs. convenience to find the right combination of bits for your outfit. However I will still mention that efficiency always makes a difference in so far as being 1/2 the draw an MT45 (as an example) means you can (1) run half the batteries or solar or (b) run twice as long when camped and it's overcast or night.

Jmacn

I have an ARB in my truck and like it a lot. You do need to stack your food properly as it is much colder at the bottom. I put beverages at the bottom and produce at the top. I really like the cooler style fridge as you don't loose all your cold air each time you open it up. Its a bit like playing Tetris but Ive gotten good at getting a LOT of food to fit in there and still keep the produce happy. After years of chasing ice around the desert and loosing food in the water I'm so happy to have a solar powered fridge. Still feels like magic sometimes. In my van build I plan to stick with a cooler style but am leaning toward a dual compartment fridge/freezer like National Luna.

jadmt

ignore button user
mine just showed up $790 shipped thru northridge4x4 if you ask for a forum discount. plugged it in and it took 10 minutes to from 60*F to 25F. wahoo no more soggy food.

IMG_20180626_111802670_zps7nixvk6k.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles