Soggy Night In North Carolina

ljrunner05

Adventurer
A couple weeks ago I made a spur of the moment decision to drive up to the edge of North Carolina from my home town of Chattanooga TN for a single night of camping. It was about a 3.5 hour drive to the site but I managed to get there before the sun went down.

IMG_0909 (Large).jpg

I found this campsite a little over a year ago while doing some exploring with a couple other rigs. It was a small pull-off around 8 miles up a trail. After seeing the view I marked it on my GPS and new I had to come back some time.

It had been raining the entire week, so I knew there was a good chance I would be caught in another rainstorm that evening. The trip up was uneventful. I stopped by Bald River Falls for a few pictures and was surprised by the amount of water flowing that day. Little did I know that after a full night of thunderstorms the waterfall would be twice as strong the next morning.

IMG_0746 (Large).jpg

Once arriving at the camp I was quickly swarmed by what felt like thousands of mosquitoes. I decided to retire to the tent for a bit while waiting on the sun to set. Once the sun set and the wind picked up I was able to get out and enjoy a quick dinner then relax by my little propane firepit.

IMG_0826 (Large).jpg
IMG_0820 (Large).jpgIMG_0823 (Large).jpgIMG_0842 (Large).jpg

About the time I crawled into the tent, the storms started to pick up. In the video below you can hear the storm raging. It woke me up a few times during the night, but for the most part I slept great.

At one point I woke up and remembered I could enable my LED's on the side of my bedrack via bluetooth and the switchpro. I kicked them on to watch the rain falling around camp. After making sure I wasn't about to slide off the mountain I quickly fell back asleep.

The next morning I awoke in a cloud. Everything was soaked and the view wasn't great. I decided to pack up and make breakfast at the bottom of the trail.

IMG_0863 (Large).jpgIMG_0858 (Large).jpgIMG_0880 (Large).jpg

After stopping for a quick breakfast by the river I stopped by the same waterfall again. This time the water shooting over the top and falling like I've never seen before. It was cool to see the comparison from how it was less than 18 hours before. Unfortunately I neglected to get a good picture of the falls, but there is some good video. The only pictures I got were from the top of the falls.

IMG_0921 (Large).jpg

I've started trying to record my trips in the form of a vlog instead of just pictures. I know I enjoy watching other people's adventures, so I figured I'd give it a try myself.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
A friend just returned from visiting his ex in N.C.
Rained the entire time and buggy as hell. Very pretty though and nice folks.
His ex lives at 2000' so it's cooler than down lower.

ljrunner05

Adventurer
A friend just returned from visiting his ex in N.C.
Rained the entire time and buggy as hell. Very pretty though and nice folks.
His ex lives at 2000' so it's cooler than down lower.

N.C. is gorgeous for sure! And your right, the people are usually pretty nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles