Ha, I did it. Hood solar

rayra

Expedition Leader
They can’t be any worse glare than was already present, because they follow the same shape as the hood and in fact being black they should have less glare.

The shine / sheen of the surface has a lot more to do with glare than the base color. Better get some polarizing sunglasses, at the very least.

VroomSIX

I might be worried about the constant heat cycling with the engine under those panels. A hood can get really hot with the engine running. Have you thought about maybe some underhood insulation?

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Solar panels will hit 160F in direct sunlight, so engine heat probably won't reduce the life anymore than normal for a flexible panel.

Paddy

Adventurer
The shine / sheen of the surface has a lot more to do with glare than the base color. Better get some polarizing sunglasses, at the very least.
I find it very interesting how resistant people are to this placement for panels. I see it as the ideal place for them, while it seems most others would never consider it. Well, all I can say is I’m sold on it! They don’t get hot or glare any worse than any other car part. A hood is remarkably similar to a roof in construction it turns out.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
It is a lot of flat real estate screaming to be used. I'd be concerned in a situation like this that it would be like looking into a mirror.

View attachment 453160

I find it very interesting how resistant people are to this placement for panels. I see it as the ideal place for them, while it seems most others would never consider it. Well, all I can say is I’m sold on it! They don’t get hot or glare any worse than any other car part. A hood is remarkably similar to a roof in construction it turns out.

Wouldn't be any different than a black or dark colored vehicle. Or putting on a black hood decal to reduce glare from cab mounted lights.
Couple few people have done it. Not sure why the resistance either...there Paddy. No matter what you do, someone ain't gonna be happy. ;)

attachment.php

I might be worried about the constant heat cycling with the engine under those panels. A hood can get really hot with the engine running. Have you thought about maybe some underhood insulation?
Solar panels will hit 160F in direct sunlight, so engine heat probably won't reduce the life anymore than normal for a flexible panel.

Depends on the type and brand. These will go to 150ºC

Last edited:

Watt maker

Wow, I really like this idea! Definitely going to look into doing this on my 4runner as a roof rack eats up the next best place to put a solar panel.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Wouldn't be any different than a black or dark colored vehicle. Or putting on a black hood decal to reduce glare from cab mounted lights.
A flat black surface is nothing like a substrate with a coating on the back, which is exactly the definition of a mirror. They have to put anti-reflective coatings on solar panels specifically because of this. I apologize for doubting that this is the greatest thing since sliced bread and being curious that it could ever go wrong.

Clutch

<---Pass
A flat black surface is nothing like a substrate with a coating on the back, which is exactly the definition of a mirror. They have to put anti-reflective coatings on solar panels specifically because of this. I apologize for doubting that this is the greatest thing since sliced bread and being curious that it could ever go wrong.

My F250 was black at one point...with a mirror like finish that you could look into and comb your hair. I don't remember it ever being a problem. Keeping it clean was a pain in the ass though....That and my Tacoma is Imperial Jade Mica Green. I do agree a matt finish would be better...looking at the thread I linked with other examples of hood solar. There is a difference between the top coating ETFE vs PET....the ETFE has more of matt finish and claim to absorb more rather than reflect it. It does appear that Paddy does have a gloss finish judging by his pictures.

http://www.lensunsolar.com/Lensun-8...arge-kit,10A-regulator,5m-cables-for-boats,RV

Damn Dave! Grumpy today! Hey that is my role! ;) :p They make sliced bread!? I wouldn't know since I bake my own. :D (I seriously do :D )

Etzu

I've always thought the hood would be a great spot for a soft panel that maleable. I considered a hard panel on the side with adjustable solid hinge.

For the same reasons, having a panel under a rack would not work well when carrying stuff that would only be off the roof at night.

Paddy

Adventurer
I wonder if a clear matte film like used on windows would flatten it out without having a loss of absorption. But honestly since these follow the bends in your hood, they really only have a maximum glare potential of a regular glossy painted hood, like 99% of hoods are, except for CLUTCH lol.
Then the other way to look at this is that these panels are actually designed and who’s sole purpose is to absorb sunlight, so there’s that.
Sorry if I sounded snarky, didn’t mean to be. If I can convince you to try it I think you’d be glad, that’s all.

Paddy

Adventurer
Couple few people have done it. Not sure why the resistance either...there Paddy. No matter what you do, someone ain't gonna be happy. ;)

Depends on the type and brand. These will go to 150ºC
Looks like you have a nice matte one. Nice job on the install, I kinda flubbed mine a little. I’d be interested to see some more pics of that rig. I used to have one of those tacos.

Clutch

<---Pass
Looks like you have a nice matte one. Nice job on the install, I kinda flubbed mine a little. I’d be interested to see some more pics of that rig. I used to have one of those tacos.
Not mine, found it on the FJ forum.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...lensun-flexible-solar-panel-mounted-hood.html

Could do a hood decal to hide your flubs if it concerns ya.

As for the glare, even if yours is gloss I don't think it will be an issue. After owning a black F250, and a dark green Tacoma living in AZ no less...never really noticed any glare off the hood. Would get horrible glare off of other people's rear glass during certain times of the day. Or those damn chrome visors some of the truckers like to run.

slammed-truck-visor.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz