Goose Gear vs Front Runner vs DIY

ChrisCosta416

Hi everyone, I am looking to install a drawer system in my 2003 Mitsubishi Montero.

Does anyone have experience with Goose Gear or Front Runner? Or maybe even had success with DIY drawers.

I am looking for something relatively light and sturdy. It would be nice if it could pull out to reveal a tabletop prep area of sorts!

dbrinkmann

Observer
What’s most important to you? Quality, your time, customizations, money, etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisCosta416

I would say structural stability. I have been looking into building my own however I have never built anything before. I do have the tools just need a good base to start with.

60Dan

Explorer
If you’ve got the tools I say jump in with both feet!
If it doesn’t work out then go the other route. Lots of great ideas on here to get the creative juices flowing!

ChrisCosta416

If you’ve got the tools I say jump in with both feet!
If it doesn’t work out then go the other route. Lots of great ideas on here to get the creative juices flowing!

Thanks I might try it, do you recommend a type of wood to get? Or any threads I could use as reference

jaymar

Different vehicle, but try this...

autarkus

I'll second what the others have said above. I've heavily examined what Goose Gear offers, and they are double or triple the cost of what it would be if you want to sink the time to DIY. Tools and everything else, all in, just to build the base I have with a slightly more robust build cost me maybe 2/3 of what Goose Gear costs, including some experimenting and tools I have to use for other projects. But at the same time, I've spent more than a year tweaking and refining everything, since I was starting from zero experience. Design does, indeed cost money, and I learned some lessons about why they did what they did.

Having done my research, if you like the GG product and have little time, drop the coin and buy their product. The price will certainly sting.

If you'll use the tools on more than one project and you have some of your own ideas, go the DIY route. It will give you confidence and valuable experience, if you have other projects in mind, or if you want something unique.

highwest

I’ve been exploring the prospect of having a local fabricator cut PVC sheet into a baseplate similar to Goose Gear. Cost will be 1/3, no wood, and a couple pounds lighter. I haven’t fully worked out the drawers/furniture, but it will likely be precut 8020 and more PVC sheet. I’m not sure how the cost / time investment equation will work out, but more that anything else, I haven’t been impressed with the sizes offered in the off the shelf solutions.

autarkus

I’ve been exploring the prospect of having a local fabricator cut PVC sheet into a baseplate similar to Goose Gear. Cost will be 1/3, no wood, and a couple pounds lighter. I haven’t fully worked out the drawers/furniture, but it will likely be precut 8020 and more PVC sheet. I’m not sure how the cost / time investment equation will work out, but more that anything else, I haven’t been impressed with the sizes offered in the off the shelf solutions.
One valuable lesson I learned was to make sure that 1. You figure out what you need to do to make the floor level with spacers, etc. and 2. You have enough rigidity to keep the doors/openings flat and square. Ended up building an 80/20 frame to keep the 3/4 ply base platform flat and in plane with the fold up hatch. Something like Corain or Celtec would almost certainly have a lot of flex without support. May or may not impact a build, depending on if you're making hatches or attaching stiffening 80/20 drawers on to.

D

Deleted member 9101

Have your design priced by a local cabinet shop.... Sometimes they can build amazing things for less money than the name brand options.

4000lbsOfGoat

For what it's worth, I love my Goose Gear seat delete/drawer. It's well-built, sturdy and has a great finish.

I don't currently have shop space to work in or tools to use but I was a professional carpenter in a former life. With a shop fully setup for cabinet making and a week to work on it, I *might* be able to match the quality of GG.

If you want a project to work on, by all means, build something out. If you want a solid drawer system with the least amount of effort, GG all the way!

highwest

For what it's worth, I love my Goose Gear seat delete/drawer. It's well-built, sturdy and has a great finish.

I don't currently have shop space to work in or tools to use but I was a professional carpenter in a former life. With a shop fully setup for cabinet making and a week to work on it, I *might* be able to match the quality of GG.

If you want a project to work on, by all means, build something out. If you want a solid drawer system with the least amount of effort, GG all the way!
When these convos come up it’s so easy for DIYers to knock the expensive gear. Everyone has a different tolerance for spending money and time on this hobby and we’re lucky to have options on both sides of that equation. I haven’t seen GG or FrontRunner in person, but I’m certain it’s worth every dollar! Whichever way we all decide to go, it seems most important to get out there and use it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles