Snow Peak Addiction

Lennart

Adventurer
Prototype with the lid

Thoughts so far:

- it is fun to do but it is a lot of work without templates or a jig of some sort (and a woodworking shop with lots of tools :))
- the top is now solid wood with hardwood trim, which is nice but makes it a bit heavy. I might make a skeleton version next.
- it is a quite precise process to get the lid to run smoothly. Once you have assembled the top, that is it, you can't fidget with it any more because the L profile is covered by the trim
- the trim needs to be smooth and finished before you add it, or else you will need to sand the top and risk damaging the black finish (which of course I managed to do :giggle:)
- once assembled the construction is very strong. I could sit on the lid so putting other boxes on top of it is no problem what so ever.

Yk2KtA.jpg

iPyS1T.jpg

gRkqaF.jpg

Riptide

Explorer
Lord knows I love Snow Peak gadgets, but doesn't putting the top on these SP boxes negate using the unique folding action? And if you're gonna negate the folding action, wouldn't just putting a flip up lid be a heck of a lot easier?

Lennart

Adventurer
Lord knows I love Snow Peak gadgets, but doesn't putting the top on these SP boxes negate using the unique folding action? And if you're gonna negate the folding action, wouldn't just putting a flip up lid be a heck of a lot easier?

In short .... YES
A little more elaborate: "You are right, no sane person would do this or want to, there are much easier solutions :D"
As you state, with the top on you can't fold the box. It could very well be that a flip up lid would be easier (although I don't know yet how that would work). Perhaps a regular box with lid would then be better.

But.....to me it is similar to the IGT. There are much easier ways to set up a table, or a cooking unit, or shelves, or....., but the IGT does all of that. It adds complexity in favour of diversity (and of course Japanese origami gadgets are just cool ;))
The box still folds, but you can add the sliding top in seconds. You can put two boxes on top of each other and create a raised worksurface but still have acces to both boxes. You can use a box with the top as a cutting board and still have access to the contents. You can add the table extension, put on a folded box and still have acces to the bottom box via the sliding lid. Put two tops in one box or use the hinged top to create a low dining table.

Thruth is, I liked the look and the design and had a go. I will keep you posted on if it is practical (y)
For sure, I would not recommend making your own unless you enjoy the work :giggle:

Riptide

Explorer
Well put. I didn't know that they are easily removable. You do nice work.

What are the slots originally for, that you used for the wooden tabs on your brackets?

fjatl

Adventurer
this is the configuration that I was thinking about...lower ones use the box "open" while the upper one "closed" with the sliding lid

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 11.24.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 11.24.01 AM.png
    563.2 KB · Views: 126

dcg141

Adventurer
So a lot of new got its maiden voyage this weekend on a kayaking trip to rainy East TN. New stoves, Camp Chef and Snow Peak and all of my new IGT collection. Oh yea and a new Jackson Karma kayak.

Attachments

• IMG_1107.JPG
    IMG_1107.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 221
  • IMG_1108.JPG
    IMG_1108.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 213
  • IMG_1113.JPG
    IMG_1113.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 205
  • IMG_1114.JPG
    IMG_1114.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 191
  • IMG_1119.JPG
    IMG_1119.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 188
  • IMG_1120.JPG
    IMG_1120.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 190
  • IMG_1109.JPG
    IMG_1109.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 191
Last edited:

fjatl

Adventurer
Prototype with the lid

Thoughts so far:

- it is fun to do but it is a lot of work without templates or a jig of some sort (and a woodworking shop with lots of tools :))
- the top is now solid wood with hardwood trim, which is nice but makes it a bit heavy. I might make a skeleton version next.
- it is a quite precise process to get the lid to run smoothly. Once you have assembled the top, that is it, you can't fidget with it any more because the L profile is covered by the trim
- the trim needs to be smooth and finished before you add it, or else you will need to sand the top and risk damaging the black finish (which of course I managed to do :giggle:)
- once assembled the construction is very strong. I could sit on the lid so putting other boxes on top of it is no problem what so ever.

Yk2KtA.jpg

iPyS1T.jpg

gRkqaF.jpg
these look awesome...great job! Have you put any thought in to selling some? :cool: I might know a guy

Riptide

Explorer
So a lot of new got its maiden voyage this weekend on a kayaking trip to rainy East TN. New stoves, Camp Chef and Snow Peak and all of my new IGT collection. Oh yea and a new Jackson Karma kayak.

Great setup! Are you pleased how everything worked? How did the did the wok burner work on propane gas, instead of liquid?

dcg141

Adventurer
Great setup! Are you pleased how everything worked? How did the did the wok burner work on propane gas, instead of liquid?
The wok burner was on propane and worked great. I was really happy with the setup and it made cooking a much better experience all around. The only drawback is that much IGT stuff in one bag is heavy!!

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Well, I bought an older 4WD van and am toying with the idea of mounting an IGT4 on 48 inch drawer slides (under the bed and opening out the rear doors). This would allow me to keep the GS-220, CK-130, and CK-050 in there full-time and use the CK-050 as a sink for doing dishes (as well as storing my utensils, etc.). Might put a Scottle in there somewhere too. Anyone think this will work? Anyone seen it done before?

screwball48

Explorer
Well, I bought an older 4WD van and am toying with the idea of mounting an IGT4 on 48 inch drawer slides (under the bed and opening out the rear doors). This would allow me to keep the GS-220, CK-130, and CK-050 in there full-time and use the CK-050 as a sink for doing dishes (as well as storing my utensils, etc.). Might put a Scottle in there somewhere too. Anyone think this will work? Anyone seen it done before?

DO IT!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riptide

Explorer

That's kind of what I am toying with. The slots on the edge of the IGT frame can't be too hard to adapt to the slides. It would be nice to make the frame easily removable, so if'n you wanted to set up the kitchen somewhere else, you could. Just pop some legs on...

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
That's kind of what I am toying with. The slots on the edge of the IGT frame can't be too hard to adapt to the slides. It would be nice to make the frame easily removable, so if'n you wanted to set up the kitchen somewhere else, you could. Just pop some legs on...

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. :) I'm not interested in making it removable, and I don't want to monkey around with the legs. IMO the IGT would be much more popular in N.A. if they had made the legs foldable instead of separate.

I'm thinking about a huge drawer, 48 inches long-ish , appr. 20 inches wide, and about 14 inches deep. This would allow the IGT to sit on the top and then I would build a full bottom that would hold TONS of dishes, frying pans, spatulas, etc. with dividers and the whole works! Everything would be open and very easy to get to while cooking.

Still mulling it all over. Where on earth do I find 48 inch drawer slides that are rated for 200 lbs and have lock in & out capability? Do they cost a million $?

Lennart

Adventurer
these look awesome...great job! Have you put any thought in to selling some? :cool: I might know a guy

Don't plan on selling these. I would never pass my own Quality Control :)
I plan to make another top/lid this weekend. I am still pondering on the best construction of the top.
Happy to help anyone with how I made the set or measurements though (y)

Chris Boyd

Explorer

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I'm not interested in making it removable, and I don't want to monkey around with the legs. IMO the IGT would be much more popular in N.A. if they had made the legs foldable instead of separate.

I'm thinking about a huge drawer, 48 inches long-ish , appr. 20 inches wide, and about 14 inches deep. This would allow the IGT to sit on the top and then I would build a full bottom that would hold TONS of dishes, frying pans, spatulas, etc. with dividers and the whole works! Everything would be open and very easy to get to while cooking.

Still mulling it all over. Where on earth do I find 48 inch drawer slides that are rated for 200 lbs and have lock in & out capability? Do they cost a million $?

One of the beautiful things about the IGT is that you can change the legs depending on your setup. I rarely setup twice the same way, always finding ways to meet the camp layout or the number of people. It wouldn’t be as versatile if the legs didn’t detach.

You’re point is valid though, and think that’s why they just came out with the IGT Slim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles