Talk me out of the TRD Pro

rruff

Explorer
Who in the Hell would pay $54'000 for a Tacoma!? Heck, I think paying $35'000 for a little truck that can't haul much, underpowered, and gets horrible gas mileage is pushing it...I am clearly out of step with the rest of the World.

I briefly considered a Tacoma vs Tundra until I saw the prices. Didn't see the point in paying more for less. $31k new, OTD. It's not little or underpowered, but doesn't haul much either.... except you can just overload it and go, and it's fine.

Clutch

<---Pass
I briefly considered a Tacoma vs Tundra until I saw the prices. Didn't see the point in paying more for less. $31k new, OTD. It's not little or underpowered, but doesn't haul much either.... except you can just overload it and go, and it's fine.

Years ago, I bought a Tacoma simply because I wanted one...didn't even look at the specs. All I really wanted was an extra cab to step up from my regular cab, and a V6 since I was tired of trying to get the 22RE down the road. The little engine that couldn't! ;)

But now, how much truck can I can get for $XX,000 amount of dollars. Can get a F250 for Tacoma prices.

Technically with the right check book you could have that truck! Then you could rub it in our faces.

This is true! In the end it makes little sense to build something like that. Would be done for purely emotional reasons....and at this stage in life, (while I am still a gear-head and love to look a vehicles) it is more about just getting out there and not the vehicle. Any old' 4WD truck will work no matter the brand.

Utility Defined! Cool and all, but think Mr Ward misses what utility actually is. Nothing more than a garage queen that will never get actually used. Movie star vehicle to be parked at their Sun Valley ski house to make runs into Starbucks.

Ever see one come for sale...hardly any miles on them. Like this one, drove roughly 1200 miles a year....and here I poised to put 30K on my old beater this year alone.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I for one am shocked, just shocked, that wealthy people might use their money in ways that are not 100% purposeful. I bet they have houses with bathrooms they don't use everyday, too. Icons are status symbols like Harleys and McLarens. Heck a Lamborghini for a long time was actually a pretty awful car but danged if I didn't have a poster of a Countach on my wall as a kid. Just tilting at windmills my friend.

Clutch

<---Pass
I for one am shocked, just shocked, that wealthy people might use their money in ways that are not 100% purposeful. I bet they have houses with bathrooms they don't use everyday, too. Icons are status symbols like Harleys and McLarens. Heck a Lamborghini for a long time was actually a pretty awful car but danged if I didn't have a poster of a Countach on my wall as a kid. Just tilting at windmills my friend.

Ha ha!

Took a bluecollar workhorse and turned it into status symbol. They should be called Irony not Icon.... Bought by people who probably never worked a hard day (manual labor) in their life. Kinda like city dwelling hipsters dressing like lumberjacks...do they even know how mix 2T gas for the picture of the chainsaw on their 'gram? :p

Never had a poster of a Countach, the sports car thing never caught on with me....did have poster of Bigfoot though. :p:D Think that is what kids growing up in the country did who's father's used to dragged them out of bed to go pour concrete, or shovel cow ********, chop firewood, haul gravel or whatever god damn project their dad had going on.

53ba6e7d46d7a163fc7949645ce78157.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: bkg

Clutch

<---Pass
I had an 83 Ranger when Mr chandler build "Ms Bigfoot"... so badly wanted to get 48's on my ranger after that. lol

Doooood! Back when everyone wanted 44" Super Swampers or Ground Hawgs!

646ba2651789c7098b0a87fd0a7aff9d--cool-trucks-pickup-trucks.jpg

Since we were "Ford People" the lust for Bigfoot was heavy. And before @DaveInDenver hauls off and says "well those are pretty expensive". I don't think monster trucks are a status symbol of the weathy...when you think monster truck...images of drunk white trash rednecks waving Rebel flags comes to mind....

I did grow out of my monster truck phase, was the first to stray out of the Ford Family and started buying Toyotas...and boy did I get made fun of for buying "Jap Crap". Now look at them. Little cult following vehicle as turned into a status symbol.

Truer words have never been spoken.
Many posts on the interweb seem VERY nostalgic when it comes to prices for modern vehicles.
As someone who has purchased multiple new vehicles in the last few years and also “collector” cars the market is full of very expensive cars and trucks. The normal “cheap” car isn’t all that cheap. The Icons of the world currently have buyers and I for one am happy people are buying these great cars. In a few years they may be available for sale on the cheap if the market crashes again as history says it will, but it’s never been a better time to love the automotive business. I think I would have a Pagani Huayra poster on my wall today even though I can’t pronounce it correctly.

Clutch

<---Pass
Truer words have never been spoken.
Many posts on the interweb seem VERY nostalgic when it comes to prices for modern vehicles.
As someone who has purchased multiple new vehicles in the last few years and also “collector” cars the market is full of very expensive cars and trucks. The normal “cheap” car isn’t all that cheap. The Icons of the world currently have buyers and I for one am happy people are buying these great cars. In a few years they may be available for sale on the cheap if the market crashes again as history says it will, but it’s never been a better time to love the automotive business. I think I would have a Pagani Huayra poster on my wall today even though I can’t pronounce it correctly.

And here I thought Dave was being sarcastic being the resident dirtbag he is (like myself). Of course wealthy people can spend their money however they may please. I was just making fun of building an utility vehicle, but not really using it as... you know... an utility vehicle...should go beat on it as it was intended for...I don't get it. But a lot of people are about portraying an image. It is like Tattoos....a neck tattoo used to mean you probably shanked someone in prison...now you're most likely a sous chef at an organic vegan restaurant.

The whole nostalgic thing over the prices things used to cost is nothing more than when my grandfather used to say "I remember when hamburgers were a nickel!"

This is kinda funny. Icon is now building a "classic" Bronco...because his clients who bought the original BR for a status symbol...are getting a little sick of all the attention it gets. Oh the irony!

Is it just me or is something off on their Broncos? It is awkward looking, but can't quite place my finger on it...are the wheels too big or too much lift? Something...

Clutch

<---Pass
Wheels are too big. You are used to seeing bigger sidewalls on classics.

Think that is it. I know they stuff big brakes on them hence the need for bigger wheels...but it is a pretty light vehicle do you really need brakes that big? Of course do you really need a $200,000 Bronco that you won't take off-road....

RacerAV

I've been looking for a new truck for some time now. I came close to ordering the new Jeep JL but I'm back to the Tacoma now. I was looking at these a few months ago but lost interest when I heard about the transmission issues. Has the hunting/sluggish problems been resolved? I'm a longtime Adventure motorcyclist, I'm not ready to give it up but will need to consider moving to 4 wheels in a few years. This will be a good start. I've owned 4X4's all my life. Thanks!View attachment 448120

https://www.toyota.com/configurator...5/packages/option89/accessories/R2-2T/modal/6

The PRO is awesome. My buddy has one now. I had an 09 base 4x4 4 door short bed and built that thing way up! My 14 Rubicon however blew that truck away. Now i have my 17 Recon, and man... I'll probably never drive anything else. You really need to weigh your options and needs. I never REALLY needed a truck. I now have a small camper/cargo trailer for bikes and toys and other stuff, and a Rhino Rack up top of the jeep which I've used to move huge tool boxes, mattresses, whatever! I LOVE the Jeep and everything it is, and everything it CAN BE. I feel like I can adapt it to whatever I need. Where as the truck I felt more limited.
Little tips: I love that my tires stick out! I park anywhere, never fear dings from poor parkers. Never will I have to do a body mount chop again just to fit my 33" tires lol...
I REALLY like the PRO line up, but man you just can't beat a nice JK or JL... (dont even get me started on the JL! lol... those things are SHARP! way more refined than my 17 Recon edition. (I STILL LOVE IT THOUGH)
Okay, off my soap box! Good luck and whatever you choose, have fun with it! Use the hell out of it, then get it detailed and start again...

RacerAV

one more thing...
go test drive each one, back to back, like haul butt to the next dealer and drive the other.

whichever one makes you smile more and as you walk away but stop to look back at the most, wins. lol..

i still look out the window from my house to stare at my jeep...

Clutch

<---Pass
Nothing. It's confusing to me why the resident luddite in chief would even want coil springs and rear disk brakes. Make me wonder if he's been test driving a Ridgeline. Probably a fantastic ride and no more spilling his latte on the way to the mall.

When I say independent rear suspension. I mean less Ridgeline and more this....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles