The Official Dometic CFX Fridge Feed!

Yorkdiver

Agree with a previous post about the insulated bag for the CFX50 - it is a terrible design. Why not simply make it open as per the lid? Well, there would have to be two versions made as the lid can be reversed but aside from this, it would be a huge improvement.

Insulated cover aside, the fridge is great. We have had Waeco coolers for a few years (from Australia) and they have been great. We bought the fridge a year ago and so far it has performed perfectly. Hopefully, it will continue to be excellent. The price point for the fridges are excellent, I think.

Shoot us a message! We'd love to hear feed back on how we could improve the design!

I’m in the process of buying a 50with cover and haven’t seen the current design, but what about a full zipper all the way around or Velcro to hold it closed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

esh

Explorer
There's no problem holding it closed. The problem is you have to open it from the middle outward, opposite how the actual lid opens. Search google images and you'll see what I mean. Plenty of velcro holding everything together.

What I might suggest is on the top of the cover to use zippers down the length of each side of the the "hinge" length with velcro flaps hanging down the top edge a couple inches. The lid is reversible so only the "back" side would be permanently zipped and the side that opens is left unzipped with the velcro strip sealing and allowing easy lid access. This lets you use the cover reversibly as the lid does.

E.J.

Explorer
We picked up a CFX 40 for the back of our D40 a few months back. Got about a dozen nights of travel with it so far and it's so good. I've got a yella top, no problems keeping the beer cold and starting the trauck the next day.IMG_20180429_075312151.jpg

Dometic

Supporting Sponsor / Approved Vendor
We love all of the feed back! We're always looking for ways to better our products!

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Well I was impressed enough at the Overland Expo and Ryan answered every question my wife came up with so we laid down the cash for the 75L dual zone, and you can bet we will be posting pics and thoughts soon :)

rickc

Adventurer
A timely thread; my monster CFX75DZW arrived today. I checked the pictures and specs before buying but to see it is to believe it; it's HUGE. I will have to buy more beer to fill it.

I'm planning to feed it from my ArkPak 730. One interesting note in the instructions (page 15) is a danger warning: "Disconnect the cooler and other consumer units from the battery before you connect your battery to a quick charging device." The ArkPak on the other hand states that "it is OK to use the ArkPak to power a device whilst it is connected to mains or DC power. My Arkpak will be set-up in a dual battery system.

A question for Dometic! What should I do? The fridge can be run from one of the ArkPak's 12v outlets or the 110V outlet of the built-in 300W inverter. What would you recommend? Is it only the low battery voltage scenario that I need to be wary of?

Will Dometic be represented at the BC Overland meet?

Attachments

• CFX75DZW.JPG
    CFX75DZW.JPG
    871.1 KB · Views: 92

prerunner221

Adventurer
I have a CFX50 and absolutgely love it. Living in Florida I keep it stocked with water and some snacks year round and it has been outstanding, and worked flawlessly. My wife bought me the cover during Overland Expo East last year and while it does a great job helping keep the fridge cool, it really makes it a pain to get into. I removed the rear seat because no one sits back there and built a platform so the fridge could stay in year round. Without the cover I can reach back while driving and grab food or drinks.A cover that opens just like the fridge makes a lot more sense to me, and would make using the fridge a hole lot easier. As is, I usually don't run the cover just because it makes it a pain to get into. The fridge is excellent though, one of my top 5 mods for sure.
19577488_10155511964774494_1959671679953365919_o.jpg

rickc

Adventurer
I realize that with the Overland Expo happening, it's not a good time to ask questions but I have a few comments for later discussion:

The Dometic manual states (pg17) that "if the cooler is connected to a "supply" battery the "Low" battery monitor setting will suffice". Low= switch off at 10.1V All the AGM battery discharge charts on the Internet show 10.5V to be the level of charge at which the battery is considered discharged and state that is not good for the battery. My Arkpak supports the same and states not to go below 20% charge as it's not good for the battery and it will shut off automatically at 10.5V.

I'm doing a test of my new fridge and Arkpak now; it's been running for 32hrs with the small freezer at -12C and the big fridge at 3C and I set the fridge battery monitor to "Medium" or 11.4V. My ArkPak shows 11.8V with a 30% charge. I'm pretty happy with the performance of the Arkpak; it's loaded with a 305Ah MotoMaster Nautilus Ultra Group 31 AGM deep cycle battery. It's got 1000 cranking amps, more than enough to serve as an emergency starter too. I'm also really happy with the fridge; I'm guessing that by midnight the ArkPak will trip after providing 36hrs of operating support to the fridge to maintain the fridge/freezer power demand. Considering the size of the fridge I think this is pretty good.

Over the weekend, I'm going to recharge the battery and then do another run-down using the fridge/fridge combo; if I can get 48hrs I'll be really happy. Until I get an answer to my earlier question about charging the ArkPak at the same time as running the fridge from it, I'll operate the fridge with mains power until the ArkPak is charged despite what the ArkPak manual states.

I'm really interested in any comments regarding these observations and concerns.

DCGibbs

Observer
View attachment 450975Thanks for all the great information and Ball Cap from Overland Expo. We are leaning to the 65 Dual Stage. The one we use today, is set a freezer only, using a cooler as needed. The DualStage 65, will eliminate the cooler need. See ya at NorthWest Overland Rally. DcG

Last edited:

1Goodbeer

A timely thread; my monster CFX75DZW arrived today. I checked the pictures and specs before buying but to see it is to believe it; it's HUGE. I will have to buy more beer to fill it.

I'm planning to feed it from my ArkPak 730. One interesting note in the instructions (page 15) is a danger warning: "Disconnect the cooler and other consumer units from the battery before you connect your battery to a quick charging device." The ArkPak on the other hand states that "it is OK to use the ArkPak to power a device whilst it is connected to mains or DC power. My Arkpak will be set-up in a dual battery system.

A question for Dometic! What should I do? The fridge can be run from one of the ArkPak's 12v outlets or the 110V outlet of the built-in 300W inverter. What would you recommend? Is it only the low battery voltage scenario that I need to be wary of?

Will Dometic be represented at the BC Overland meet?

I have the 100CFX because it said it holds over a 100 cans of beer!! :) I run it off a "House" Battery on my 2018 Ram. it will run almost 4 days set at 34 deg and battery power watch setting on low....Is there a way to disable the Power watch setting? i dont care if i run my house battery down to 0....as long as my beer stays cold!!! I always figure its best to stay with the DC power on the fridge...Your inverter is converting DC-AC then back to DC again at the Fridge....there has got to be some power loss in all that!

rickc

Adventurer
Thanks 1Goodbeer: it looks like at 21C ambient, both sides full of beer and other drinks, both at 3C, I will get exactly 4 days from my ArkPak to a 22% charge level on my battery based on current numbers; I don't want to go below 20% charge. The freezer really sucks up a lot of power; with the little side at -12C and the big at 3, I got the 36hrs I predicted, leaving 22% charge in the ArkPak.

Last edited:

rickc

Adventurer
Update! I got 90hrs out of my 105Ah battery from 100% to 23% charge running the big fridge/fridge combo at 3C in an ambient 70C. 6 hours shy of 4 days; the fridge shut itself off at the medium battery saver setting and this works for me at 23% charge as I really did not want to go lower. The two tests I performed give me a good handle on what to expect if I'm camping for longer periods without the truck running to recharge the ArkPak.

Last edited:

robkh1984

Hey guys!

We are looking to see what kind of set ups you guys are running! What are your thoughts on your Dometic fridge? What industry events would you like to see us at? Share with us!

We would love to see some pictures of your CFX Fridges in action, post below and if you have Instagram tag yourself!

Here is a link to our Mobile Living Made Easy Portable Fridges if you are unfamiliar: https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/pro...ectric-coolers

dometic-forum-team4rpro-1.jpg

Which size is the fridge? Assuming the back seats are still up?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles