JKU roof rack suggestions

Neadventure

I have a 2017 JKU and want to mount my RTT. I know all the big expensive racks GOBI, RHINO RACK etc.. however with 5 kiddos i need something to not break the bank yet look good and support the tent. Any suggestions?

jeremy.j.wert

I have a 2017 JKU and want to mount my RTT. I know all the big expensive racks GOBI, RHINO RACK etc.. however with 5 kiddos i need something to not break the bank yet look good and support the tent. Any suggestions?
Check this out or smittybilt
7735e8776538f0cb8e97d59b170ff146.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

HAFICON

Adventurer
Not on your list as it should not be.. Rugged Ridge, I bought it was about $600 had issues with it out of the box, finally got replacement parts 2-3 months later they were not correct either. Sold the rack for about $200. Was complete junk, I have a Gobi Stealth picked it up used for $700 it is great but new is $$$$ I have heard really great this about Kargo Master.

Neadventure

I really want rhe gobi but the $$$....ouch!! Looking at it there is 2 the congo cage and the congo cage pro. If i read correctly the pro has a higher weight rating and the tubing is larger.

jeremy.j.wert

The one I posted has a 600lb static weight rating
I really want rhe gobi but the $$$....ouch!! Looking at it there is 2 the congo cage and the congo cage pro. If i read correctly the pro has a higher weight rating and the tubing is larger.

vs_jk

I have the Teraflex Nebo rack on my JKU and have been very happy with it. It actually mounts through the hardtop and the weight is carried by the roll cage and not the top. The rack is rated for 800lb of static weight. I use it for my RTT and find that it works well. I also like how I can still easily remove the hardtop with the rack.

The only thing to be aware of is that there are not many aftermarket accessories made specifically for this rack. Where as some of the other racks like Front Runner and others have a variety of accessories available.

jeremy.j.wert

And... you cant run a soft top with this rack.
What did you pay for it?
I have the Teraflex Nebo rack on my JKU and have been very happy with it. It actually mounts through the hardtop and the weight is carried by the roll cage and not the top. The rack is rated for 800lb of static weight. I use it for my RTT and find that it works well. I also like how I can still easily remove the hardtop with the rack.

The only thing to be aware of is that there are not many aftermarket accessories made specifically for this rack. Where as some of the other racks like Front Runner and others have a variety of accessories available.

vs_jk

What did you pay for it?

Yes you're absolutely correct that it won't mount with a soft top. But I don't have a soft top which is why it wasn't an issue for me. I bought it when it first came out. The rack was $500 and then I also added a couple slats which were an additional $200. So, I wouldn't necessarily call this a budget option. The other racks will be near this total amount for cost. However, the benefit is that it is very lightweight and doesn't affect mileage.

Last edited:

jeremy.j.wert

What did you pay for it?

Yes you're absolutely correct that it won't mount with a soft top. But I don't have a soft top which is why it wasn't an issue for me. I bought it when it first came out. The rack was $500 and then I also added a couple slats which were an additional $200. So, I wouldn't necessarily call this a budget option. The other racks will be near this total amount for cost. However, the benefit is that it is very lightweight and doesn't affect mileage.
I've been looking at the KMS racks. Fairly decent on price $598 free shipping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles