2010 Jeep WK Grand Cherokee Limited Build

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO
Say, where did you get the pet barrier and puppy hammock? We have 3 mutts that we transport in our WJ and I’ve been looking for a good solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The pet barrier is from Safari Straps. Have had it in 4 different vehicles, still looks new. Great product and company.

Hammock:
Plush Paws Ultra-Luxury Pet Seat Cover - 2 Bonus Harnesses 2 Seat Belts for Cars Trucks & Suv - Grey, Waterproof, NonSlip Silicone Backing https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013Y5GZHY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_xg22AbRBFH4HK

razzman1

Observer
Awesome build!

I see you have mentioned a few times that you are happy with your Hitchgate. I have had one in my cart and hovered over the 'buy now' button for a couple of weeks now. It looks like a really nice and well built piece of kit, but I'm nervous about how it will affect departure angles. I don't plan on doing any serious off-roading so maybe it won't be that big of a deal. Based on pictures of your Rubicon, you don't seem to be a stranger to a trail--what is your opinion of the Hitchgate going off road?

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO
Awesome build!

I see you have mentioned a few times that you are happy with your Hitchgate. I have had one in my cart and hovered over the 'buy now' button for a couple of weeks now. It looks like a really nice and well built piece of kit, but I'm nervous about how it will affect departure angles. I don't plan on doing any serious off-roading so maybe it won't be that big of a deal. Based on pictures of your Rubicon, you don't seem to be a stranger to a trail--what is your opinion of the Hitchgate going off road?
Thank you

Coming from 8 years of trails and rock crawling in the JKU, I don't think the carrier will limit much clearance. The Grand Cherokee is in no way the build of the JKU but still has a good departure angle. Ledge drop-offs and large boulders could be an problem, but that is not my purpose with this Jeep. It is a trail runner and overlander. My days of humping boulders is over

razzman1

Observer
Thank you

Coming from 8 years of trails and rock crawling in the JKU, I don't think the carrier will limit much clearance. The Grand Cherokee is in no way the build of the JKU but still has a good departure angle. Ledge drop-offs and large boulders could be an problem, but that is not my purpose with this Jeep. It is a trail runner and overlander. My days of humping boulders is over

Thanks. I think you just helped me spend some money.

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO
Thank you

Hahaha. Sorry, I think. It is a good carrier.

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO
Thank you

Departure angle shot. The carrier hitch receiver is 2+ inches above the OEM receiver.
f5700d939cbe3cb7f6d6f9a1356cf18a.jpg

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
Not sure if this is polite to ask but what did you pay for your WK and how much have you put into it so far. Looks amazing. Also do the WK’s have any known problems like the WJ’s did? Like the blend doors issues and things like that etc? Also how is the leg and head room for a 6’5 guy?

Amazing build by the way. I really like it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO
Not sure if this is polite to ask but what did you pay for your WK and how much have you put into it so far. Looks amazing. Also do the WK’s have any known problems like the WJ’s did? Like the blend doors issues and things like that etc? Also how is the leg and head room for a 6’5 guy?

Amazing build by the way. I really like it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Well, I searched for 6 months to find a 2010 Hemi Limited that wasn't worlds-away from WA, high mileage, or trashed. I got mine for $17,000 with 85K miles. I would recommend only buying a mid 2009-2010 model year, if you are looking for the Hemi. That is the only 2 years with the better VVT motor. Plus, most of the gremlins have been worked out in the late models. The WKs in no way have all the issues that the WJs have. I specifically chose WK for this reason. A Google search for the common WK concerns will list what to look out for; a couple recall items seem to be the main issues, heater core failure behind the center dash, and exhaust manifold cracking.

I won't say how much I have into it, since I have many industry contacts, from years of building rigs and working for one of the gearing companies for a while. I honestly don't know exactly what it would cost to build at retail pricing. Educated guess would be $10-12K into it.

I am very happy with this Jeep. I am 6'5" 295 lbs and drive it comfortably, daily. It is unique, comfortable, capable, powerful, and takes some thinking to build correctly. You won't stop at a signal and see multiple copycat Jeeps all around you, like other Jeep models.

Thanks for the complements as well!!

nyglt56

Awesome build so far. What front runner rear storage system is that? I am looking to replace my built one in the back of my WK and that looks awesome.

desertvisitor

Thanks for the detailed build post and all the great pics! We are still working on our overlanding style and have slowly been building on our WK2. Seeing what a more experienced guy does, gives us good ideas and more to discuss what would work for us!

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO
Thanks for the detailed build post and all the great pics! We are still working on our overlanding style and have slowly been building on our WK2. Seeing what a more experienced guy does, gives us good ideas and more to discuss what would work for us!
You're welcome. Hopefully this information will help others in the process of planning or completing their builds. When I built my JKU everything was new, untested and mostly a gamble to pull the trigger. I learned a lot by trial and error, with very few templates to work from. Happy to supply information to others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles