Fiberglass truck camper build

Tonymorr

This is great. I have the same truck and was literally putting a plan together similar to this build over the weekend. Excited to see how it works out for you. If the cabover is 70" wide, about how deep is it? Wondering if I could stuff 2 kiddos up there.

I would think so if they are small. It's about 36" deep before it starts to taper down.

Jonnyo

Observer
This is great. I have the same truck and was literally putting a plan together similar to this build over the weekend. Excited to see how it works out for you. If the cabover is 70" wide, about how deep is it? Wondering if I could stuff 2 kiddos up there.

i m making mine for 2 kids

the upper bunk is 42inch deep and taper but you can also overhang it inside. so my is now 66x48. so my 2 little kids can sleep there.

Jonnyo

Observer
I would think so if they are small. It's about 36" deep before it starts to taper down.
Tony!

did you put a plywood under the bunk bed or is the mattress directly on the fiberglass shell? when i bough the used unit...they had a big 3/4 plywood on the cabover but it was use for tools etc. It really seems solid and i would not mind saving the weight and cost of a plywood sheet if it s not needed!

today got 2 window in! a small kitchen countertop and a foldable bed! should be ready to go for a trip in 2 weeks!

Tonymorr

Sorry Jonny, I thought I answered this. There is plywood reinforcement in the floor of the cabover already that makes it very sturdy. I just put my mattress right up in there.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I was configuring pretty much the same exact truck this morning...

A few questions if you don't mind:

Did you get the 36 gallons tank?
Did you check the average mpg before and after?

Do you like the truck in general?

Tonymorr

Hi Christian, I did get the 36 gallon fuel tank. Love the truck! I had a 2013 before this one. The new one is just a bit better in every way. I have the 3.5 ecoboost. I didn't do an exact mpg study but I would say I lost roughly 1 mpg. I'm getting 17.6 commuting to work right now. I have a 25 mile drive through a small town on both ends and 55 mph country road for most of it.

Tonymorr

Yes the beds fold in half. The legs are pinned into the supports. When you remove them they sit flush in the support. The ARB Fridge/Freezer is part of the bed support. The cushion just lifts up when you open the fridge.

Tonymorr

I took the truck to Nova Scotia last week. I could not be happier with the way it worked out. I'll continue to tweak my gear to make it ideal. I'll try to get some pics this weekend of my interior set up ready to go. My mpg for the 2200 mile week was 15.5 . Probably half the trip was interstate @ 74 mph. The solar worked great even with a lot of slightly overcast days. Running the fridge all the time and my CPAP machine at night it would usually be back up to full voltage by 10am.

IMG_3371.JPG

My friends (a couple) did stay in their tent a few nights for some privacy.

36460037_2043618365898723_5429840901352456192_o.jpg

Last edited:

s.e.charles

nice looking rig.

Q: when you're spending time inside, does the lack of sidewindows cause any concerns?

for example, if you hear a noise but can't "go to the window and see what's happening".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles