Best (Or Most Dependable) All-Terrain Tire?

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I love BFG AT KOs as well. Practically bomb proof. They are not a great mud tire, and for me they are too hard for really icy conditions. Great in the snow if not icy. I had to trade them out for Duratracs after nearly sliding off an icy road to the ski hill. The Duratracs are also a good all-condition tire, but I don’t like the highway manners as much (too much bounce/soft sidewalls like Michelin’s.
I highlighted what I was going to add. They're terrible in the mud we get on the East coast. The clay clogs them up something crazy.
They were fine for me in Western mud though.
Duratracs don't have enough sidewall stoutness if he ventures into those granite hills around him too; too many sharp edges, IMHO

MGTexas

I just keep buying bfg mud JK take offs. 17 inch rims and about 31.5 tall. Around here you can get 5 of them with less than a hundred miles for less than $500. They take my JKU Rubi pretty much anywhere I need or want to go.

Heavyopp

Observer
I'm still in the general grabber at2 camp -- and as I said before, not great in mud

Remember, with a heavier tire, you also increase your stopping distance -- I have a feeling your next upgrade will be brakes

thewas4x

Up front, I am a big fan of the BFG KO2, and run them on one rig currently (muds on the other). An alternate tire that I ran for a season or two was the Goodyear All-Terrain Adventure Kevlar. They were very quiet on road, really good on snowy and icy roads. I'm in the southwest, but I aired them down and ground then on rocks, happy with the sidewalls, and climbed plenty, granted, locking diffs help a lot in loose stuff. They are not overly aggressive, but to me, were a "tough" well constructed tire with an emphasis on winter and on-road use.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Theoretician

Adventurer
Up front, I am a big fan of the BFG KO2, and run them on one rig currently (muds on the other). An alternate tire that I ran for a season or two was the Goodyear All-Terrain Adventure Kevlar. They were very quiet on road, really good on snowy and icy roads. I'm in the southwest, but I aired them down and ground then on rocks, happy with the sidewalls, and climbed plenty, granted, locking diffs help a lot in loose stuff. They are not overly aggressive, but to me, were a "tough" well constructed tire with an emphasis on winter and on-road use.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Seconding the GY all terrains. They came stock on my F150 and I haven't upgraded yet - they've spent about a month total on trails, and a few days in light snow, in the past year and a half and I can't complain too much. I've taken some chunks out of the tread blocks, and the skin of the sidewall is peeling in some small places, but they've pulled through where jeeps on mudders have had trouble and they still hold air. I don't plan to buy them again, favoring the Toyo R/T as the most aggressive tread that comes with a mileage warranty in the size that I want, but if you didn't want to compromise road manners as much as I'm willing to then I'd be at least looking at these GYs again.

I am tempted by the BFG KM3 tires that are due to be released next month. They seem to have toned back the tread from "sand/mud paddles" to "reasonable mixed terrain similar to military tires the world over" and I might be willing to sacrifice a snow rating for reliability in the dirt. My preferred pizza cutters aren't due to be offered in the first batch out of the ovens, but I've still got a year on my stock tires before I'll need to start shopping in earnest.

BFG KO2, Toyo AT or RT, Nitto Trail or Ridge, Coopers - honestly I think it's pretty difficult to go wrong unless you focus first on price.

CalifOregonia

I have Cooper ST Maxxs on my Tundra, and my girlfriend has Goodyear Duratracs on her 4Runner. Both are proving to be good tires so far. I bought the Coopers for their toughness, she bought the Duratracs for the snow rating.

FJOE

Regular Dude
Over 2 years with my General Grabber AT2's. Love them. Tons of rain, mud, sand, and highway driving. A lot more quiet than my BFG AT KO's ever were (even though thats my fav tire).

Marques0346

Novice Adventurer
So, is the decision getting easier?

Oh, for sure. :) I am nearly certain I'm going with the Cooper ST Maxx tires, after doing some serious investigative research. Still, the BFG KO2s came in second. I'll make a decision at the tire shop when I'm under pressure, but I think Cooper is right for me.

And also, yes, I do plan on upgrading my brakes due to the tire weight - which kinda bums me out because I JUST did brakes, rotors, etc. No worries though, everything will work out in the end.

Thank you everyone for your responses and feel free to keep adding to the discussion as you please. :cool: It could help some internet folk who stumble across this thread!

Superduty

Adventurer
Don't worry about a brake upgrade do a Ford 8.8 swap out of an explorer it already have disc brakes and a locker and it's a fairly easy swap

Rear disk brakes will hardly improve braking. You need to upgrade your front brakes for any real world improvement. Which year explorer are you talking about? It has a factory locker? Or do you mean limited slip?

For the best Jeep brake improvement go to https://www.shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/

Smileyshaun

Observer
Rear disk brakes will hardly improve braking. You need to upgrade your front brakes for any real world improvement. Which year explorer are you talking about? It has a factory locker? Or do you mean limited slip?

For the best Jeep brake improvement go to https://www.shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/

sorry yes it's a limited slip i was thinking of the g80 but if you rebuild the clutch pack and do a little modifying it will lock up at a much lower spin rate .works great in the snow and a great upgrade in axle strength for very little money. I've done a few 8.8 swaps on Cherokee and the difference in braking power is very noticeable even running 35s on beadlocks.

HAFICON

Adventurer
Well been in Ma. the past 6 years and I am on my 2nd set of Goodyear Duratracs. They have done great off road and do well in the snow, usually over in NH on the trails I went with 315/70/17 they ride well, super quite on the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles